Harmony Central Outage - the Backstory

Anderton

• Members

Here's the official press release:

CONGRESS AGREES TO BAIL OUT HARMONY CENTRAL

The outage of a popular web site, which backed up servers up and down the West Coast of the United States and ultimately brought down the Microsoft servers that were streaming the new interface for XBox Live, is now over thanks to quick action by a bi-partisam committee of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.

As House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, "It's true that Harmony Central piled on way more posts than their servers could handle, because they thought the streaming would just go on forever. But harsh technical realities developed suddenly to the point where the site was in a crisis situation. In the music industry, Harmony Central is simply too big to let fail. Our bailout will not only save Harmony Central, but also, a significant portion of the music industry."

During the outage, the stock of all music-related companies went into a free fall as no one could discuss what gear to buy, and as a result, no gear was bought. Democrat presidential candidate Barack Obama issued the following statement:

"The Bush-McCain administration should have seen this coming. We've all experienced the 'scheduled maintenance' messages and occasional server crashes. During an Obama administration, we will monitor Harmony Central closely to make sure that the music industry is never forced to suffer this kind of blow in the future."

Republican candidate John McCain also issued a statement, saying "My friends, I'm not happy with this bailout plan, which will cost every man, woman, and child in the United States 0.0000076 cents. But we simply had no choice. It was necessary to reach across the aisle and craft a bipartisan plan that ultimately, has done our country proud."

Joe Biden also issued a statement, but it went on for 460 pages, and we don't have space to print it here. Sarah Palin commented as well, saying "E-Harmony is an incredibly important site, and we could not afford to let it fail. It's how my daughter found Levi."

Wall Street breathed a sigh of relief as the HC servers came back online. With the crisis averted at least for now, Secretary of Entertainment Little Richard said "My heart goes out to the brave men and women of Harmony Central who toiled ceaselessly for over 36 hours, subsisting on nothing but pizza and Pepsi, as they did their part to preserve the security of the music industry."

• Members

Something, clearly, had to be done.

If left unaddressed, the burgeoning crisis would have surely pulled GearSlutz and ProSoundWeb into the black hole... leaving behind only FutureProducers and the Womb. The TapeOp BB happened to be running on hamster power at the time and was unaffected.

• Members

You must not have as many articles to write today!!!
;)

Craig can write up to four articles at once, using four computers and each of his hands and feet independently. He posts at the same time using voice recognition software.

Kudos to the brave souls who fixed the HC servers.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I know. I'm very ill today with food poisoning and I'm not making much sense of anything. Sorry!

Obviously, I'm not making sense, either. I was just razzing you because I was posting a response and when I posted it you had beat me to it, which put my comment out of context (due to the lack of quotation). No need for sorry here, man!

• Members

Here's the official press release:

CONGRESS AGREES TO BAIL OUT HARMONY CENTRAL

The outage of a popular web site, which backed up servers up and down the West Coast of the United States and ultimately brought down the Microsoft servers that were streaming the new interface for XBox Live, is now over thanks to quick action by a bi-partisam committee of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.

As House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, "It's true that Harmony Central piled on way more posts than their servers could handle, because they thought the streaming would just go on forever. But harsh technical realities developed suddenly to the point where the site was in a crisis situation. In the music industry, Harmony Central is simply too big to let fail. Our bailout will not only save Harmony Central, but also, a significant portion of the music industry."

During the outage, the stock of all music-related companies went into a free fall as no one could discuss what gear to buy, and as a result, no gear was bought. Democrat presidential candidate Barack Obama issued the following statement:

"The Bush-McCain administration should have seen this coming. We've all experienced the 'scheduled maintenance' messages and occasional server crashes. During an Obama administration, we will monitor Harmony Central closely to make sure that the music industry is never forced to suffer this kind of blow in the future."

Republican candidate John McCain also issued a statement, saying "My friends, I'm not happy with this bailout plan, which will cost every man, woman, and child in the United States 0.0000076 cents. But we simply had no choice. It was necessary to reach across the aisle and craft a bipartisan plan that ultimately, has done our country proud."

Joe Biden also issued a statement, but it went on for 460 pages, and we don't have space to print it here. Sarah Palin commented as well, saying "E-Harmony is an incredibly important site, and we could not afford to let it fail. It's how my daughter found Levi."

Wall Street breathed a sigh of relief as the HC servers came back online. With the crisis averted at least for now, Secretary of Entertainment Little Richard said "My heart goes out to the brave men and women of Harmony Central who toiled ceaselessly for over 36 hours, subsisting on nothing but pizza and Pepsi, as they did their part to preserve the security of the music industry."

:lol: :lol: :lol::thu:

• Members

Apparently, so many people were streaming pictures of Beck's sister that it brought down the servers. We're back now.

:lol:

Just wait 'til aye post me la'est pic o' meself. It's me on horseback in my black leather jacket and riding boots with a naked 24-year-old girl (model from a photography class) riding double. The pics were taken last Fall. You can't really see anything since she has her arms around me and she's pressed up against my back. There are others where... well I guess this is the only one I can post without getting banned.

What is legal on this forum anyway? I mean this is art. There are a couple others pics where she's standing by the horse with her back to the camera reaching her hand up and then one with one foot on the stirrup before I pulled her up on the horse. I think the pics are beautiful myself... nothing X-rated about them.

Anyway, this professor was a trip. He came up to me in class one day and said,

• Members

Craig
can write up to four articles at once, using four computers and each of his hands and feet independently. He posts at the same time using voice recognition software.

And that's on a slow day.

Give him a cup of coffee and...

• Members

:lol:

Just wait 'til aye post me la'est pic o' meself. It's me on horseback in my black leather jacket and riding boots with a naked 24-year-old girl (model from a photography class) riding double. The pics were taken last Fall. You can't really see anything since she has her arms around me and she's pressed up against my back. There are others where... well I guess this is the only one I can post without getting banned.

It better not be your sister...:eek:

Archived