automatic "timbre" judging in program

kanaryman

• Members

I am trying to find a freeware or inexpensive program that I can record music into and have it automatically judge the quality, beat, separation and otherwise of the song.

The actual recordings will be of song type canaries who are requiered to sing to a certain standard, a minimum number of different kinds of notes, a number of variations of said notes and a minimum time in song over a specified number of minutes.

I have some forty years of experience with canaries but trying to make my recorder show the voice map and judge it within the perscribed parimiters is causing me a substantial headaches.

I know that some of you work with judging music quality as I do but I am hoping that some of you will have come up with a computerized way to do it.

Please let me know your ideas and or programs that will do such.

David Cummings

Kanaryman Aviaries and Research Foundation

Iglesia Centro B

• Members

I am trying to find a freeware or inexpensive program that I can record music into and have it automatically judge the quality, beat, separation and otherwise of the song.

The actual recordings will be of song type canaries who are requiered to sing to a certain standard, a minimum number of different kinds of notes, a number of variations of said notes and a minimum time in song over a specified number of minutes.

I have some forty years of experience with canaries but trying to make my recorder show the voice map and judge it within the perscribed parimiters is causing me a substantial headaches.

I know that some of you work with judging music quality as I do but I am hoping that some of you will have come up with a computerized way to do it.

Please let me know your ideas and or programs that will do such.

David Cummings

Kanaryman Aviaries and Research Foundation

Iglesia Centro B

• Members

Thanks for the responces guys, will still hope for others. I will check these sugestions and web addresses to see if I can get something to work better than what I have now.

Right now I can measure the sound spectrum, the various frequencies of the song, the measures can be written onto a sheet for out put and a few other things using wavpad® . My main problem is getting the programing to compare the canaries song measures to the "perfect" measure of that particular note set and giving me the mathamatical + and - for each measure and then add them up at the end to see which song was mathamatically best. The Timbre of the song is 1/3 the score so the programs judgment needs to be good. It can be written in mathamaticall formulas.

David Cummings

• Members

I think there is no program which will sort the timbres of canaries. However, there exist two programs used by ornithologist, one is called:

TAPESTREA - Techniques And Paradigms for Expressive Synthesis, Transformation, and Rendering of Environmental Audio. I use this program to modify sounds:

http://taps.cs.princeton.edu/

The other program is called Melodyne, and can analyse the melodic content of birdsongs. I use this program to adjust pitches of musical instrument to fit a specific tuning:

http://www.celemony.com

For spectral analysis is use for example WaveLab, or MatLab:

Archived