Weird production call

KillerV

• Members

I got a weird call for producing a song yesterday and I'm not sure if I should take it. It is for a political party (here in South Africa, where I live) to use as part of an election campaign. I hope it's OK to post about it in this forum because I would like to know what other people's thoughts are about this.

My studio is situated in an area where you take any work you can get. The people wanting me to produce the song is offering a fairly large amount of money for it, though. I haven't heard the song yet. The problem is that I don't necessarily want to be associated with this party, or really believe in what they stand for. They don't have a great reputation and I don't know if I would want people to know I that worked with them. Working with them "anonymously" isn't really an option either.

What should I do?

• Members

I can't tell you what to do. I can, though, tell you what I'd do.

A couple of years ago a friend called me with a gig for a political party fundraiser. It was a decent paying gig ($150 apiece for two hours) but the thought of raising money for a party that stood for pretty much everything I don't was too much for me. I know there are other ways to look at it, but I just couldn't put my principles on hold for 150 bucks. I declined.

No one would (or should) think less of you for taking this job if it means putting food on your table or paying the bills. You coukld look at it as just being professional in a job. After all doctors don't refuse to treat people with whom they disagree, do they? It's a tough decision but ultimately only one you can make.

• Members

While I don't do gigs (not a musician), I have been in slightly similar situations. I am rebuilding a house here that was damaged in the hurricanes in 2004. I am using about 2400 square feet of travertine floor tile throughout the house. I am a proponent for NOT buying anything from China unless I absolutely have to. I could have picked up some nice travertine tile at Home Depot for $3.49 per square foot. When I asked where it was sourced from the HD clone replied that it was from China. I ended up buying some very similar tile from another dealer that cost $3.95 per square foot (from Turkey) to avoid the Chinese product. If it is something that you firmly believe in not supporting, don't do the gig.

• Moderators

I don't have a problem if my plumbing contractor buddy takes the plumbing gig for the construction of a new building for New Hitler Youth. It's not a contradiction if my very religious friend who is a car mechanic tunes up the local gangster's Lincoln. I don't think it's hypocritical if my hippy San Fran sister caters a NRA Dinner.

Contracting isn't condoning. If your actions somehow help an organization that will hurt someone else and they couldn't have unless you helped, well that's a different story. But business is business. Look at it this way... It's a way of having the bad guys bankroll the good guys.

• Members

It's a way of having the bad guys bankroll the good guys.

I`m of the school that there are no bad guys, no good guys... it all depends on what side your on. So, with that said, if the gig pays well and its artistically fulfilling, what do you care? This gives you the opportunity to meet the enemy. You may realize hes not that different from you. With that said, I would not record just anything.

Several years ago my friend who was into this hardcore rap wanted to bring his crew into my studio to record a "mix tape". He was describing it to me over the phone, telling me 14 members of his group would be present. They would be recording, videotaping and photographing the entire event... I just decided not to do it. Though I knew a handful of his group, I just knew this sort of crowd could create an "atmosphere" I wanted no part of. It had nothing to do with their lyrics which I disagreed with, it was the atmosphere I imagined they would create that I turned away from. I got out of it by quoting him 3x what I normally charge him. We still talk, he knows how I feel and why I did what I did but looking back, I should have just been honest with him.

On the other hand, I also did a job several years ago to master a song my client wrote for a now prominent Senator who was running for Prez. I didn`t agree with this persons political "career" but it didn`t stop me from doing the best job I could for my client.

Whats your gut telling you right now as you read this?

• Members

Also think a couple years into the future. If you think you'll regret doing it, don't.

Better yet, call up the opposition party whose principles you do admire, and tell them you've been offered a gig to do music for the other party. Say you don't want to do it, but you need to but food on the table, and does the party you do admire need your services? You never know...you might be able to have your cake and eat it too.

• Members

Words of wisdom by Kevin Smith:

(In the middle of a conversation on the destruction of the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi)

BLUE-COLLAR MAN

Excuse me. I don't mean to

interrupt, but what were you

talking about?

RANDAL

The ending of Return of the Jedi.

DANTE

My friend is trying to convince me

that any contractors working on the

uncompleted Death Star were innocent

victims when the space station was

destroyed by the rebels.

BLUE-COLLAR MAN

Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm

a roofer...

(digs into pocket and

produces business card)

Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements.

And speaking as a roofer, I can say

that a roofer's personal politics

come heavily into play when choosing

jobs.

RANDAL

Like when?

BLUE-COLLAR MAN

Three months ago I was offered a

job up in the hills. A beautiful

house with tons of property. It was

a simple reshingling job, but I was

told that if it was finished within

a day, my price would be doubled.

Then I realized whose house it was.

DANTE

Whose house was it?

BLUE-COLLAR MAN

Dominick Bambino's.

RANDAL

"Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?

BLUE-COLLAR MAN

The same. The money was right, but

the risk was too big. I knew who he

was, and based on that, I passed

the job on to a friend of mine.

DANTE

Based on personal politics.

BLUE-COLLAR MAN

Right. And that week, the Foresci

family put a hit on Babyface's

house. My friend was shot and

killed. He wasn't even finished

shingling.

RANDAL

No way!

BLUE-COLLAR MAN

(paying for coffee)

I'm alive because I knew there were

risks involved taking on that

particular client. My friend wasn't

so lucky.

(pauses to reflect)

You know, any contractor willing to

work on that Death Star knew the

risks. If they were killed, it was

their own fault. A roofer listens

to this...

(taps his heart)

not his wallet.

• Members

Depends on how strongly I felt about the values of that political party. If they clash with my core principles, I probably wouldn't take it.

The service is in the aid of helping the party sway voters to their cause. The better I do my job, the more (potentially) they succeed.

You're not providing catering for one of their lunches, you're helping create a piece of persuasion. That's different.

js

Archived