Led Zep looking for new singer (article)

UstadKhanAli

• Members

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1712616.ece

This is likely tabloid-celebutainment-false. However, if Led Zep is indeed throwing open the doors for auditions, please let them consider:

Ian Astbury

Gary Cherone

Sammy Hagar

Ann Wilson

the singer from Kingdom Come

Chris Cornell

Arnel Pineda

the guy who sang "Gilligan's Island" in the style of "Stairway to Heaven".

:D

• Members

I've mentioned elsewhere on this topic that I think trying to replace Robert Plant would be the worst job in the world, even for a terrific singer.

Nothing you could possibly do would be good enough. Honestly, I love Jimmy Page (see avatar pic), but this decision to go out as Zeppelin without Plant is a HUGE mistake. If Plant doesn't want to go, there should be no tour, period.

• Members

Agreed.

My friend Bill just added
Tortelvis
from Dread Zeppelin to the list, a fine addition since, after all, I'm just trying to help out the Zeppelins....

Yeah, that's a no brainer... it's so obvious... can't believe I didn't think of it right away.

[YOUTUBE]3CO7FPU7a2g&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Ken,

I didn't know you were into Dread Zeppelin????

Years ago I recorded them and did some video work.

I LOve those guys, are they still doing it ???

Russ

Nashville

I had the misfortune of going to a show where those guys were on the bill. The joke was over after the first song. Maybe before...

• Members

I've mentioned elsewhere on this topic that I think trying to replace Robert Plant would be the worst job in the world, even for a terrific singer.

Nothing you could possibly do would be good enough. Honestly, I love Jimmy Page (see avatar pic), but this decision to go out as Zeppelin without Plant is a HUGE mistake. If Plant doesn't want to go, there should be no tour, period.

And I always thought that avatar was you in earlier, long-haired days...

A modest proposal (which has no doubt been made before): roll out the tour with Plant and Alison Krauss as co-lead singers... you could wrap it around a Raising Sand segment in the show...

... Zep always had mandolins around the edges... a few banjos and fiddles shouldn't be that much of a sea change. :D

• Members

Could not agree with you more.

• Members

A modest proposal (which has no doubt been made before): roll out the tour with Plant
and
Alison Krauss as co-lead singers... you could wrap it around a Raising Sand segment in the show...

... Zep always had mandolins around the edges... a few
banjos
and fiddles shouldn't be that much of a sea change.
:D

I'd be so in to that idea!!

And you're absolutely right. Zeppelin was definitely influenced by a lot of the folk, including Joni Mitchell, as well as Pentangle and Fairport Convention (hence, Sandy Denny singing on LZ IV). You can really hear a lot of the folk influence all the way around, but especially on LZ III.

I caught the Plant/Krauss show in June, and it was really great.

• Members

Ken,

I didn't know you were into Dread Zeppelin????

Years ago I recorded them and did some video work.

I LOve those guys, are they still doing it ???

Russ

Nashville

I don't know if I were super into them, but into them enough that I went to a show. I'm going to guess that was Club Lingerie, but I don't really remember. And I have their first single - that's right, a 45, not a download from iTunes :D - which was reggae versions of "Whole Lotta Love" backed with "Hey Hey, What Can I Do." And where the hell that is, I'm not sure.

• Members

I heard on the radio today that Plant has been fervently denying all these rumors, and said that he was finishing up a tour with Krauss, and that he would not tour at all for the next two years.

If I recall, he was also going to record an album with T-Bone Burnett relatively soon.

• Members

I don't know if I were super into them, but into them enough that I went to a show. I'm going to guess that was Club Lingerie, but I don't really remember.

I recorded them LIVE at the Palamino just after the Northridge earth quake !!!!

Man I gotta tell you, I've never seen Led Zep LIVE, a few Robert Plant shows, but last year I saw a tribute band out of Knoxville, TN. that blew the doors off the place. Classic rock n roll night out, walked in without a cover charge, free drinks and right to the front of the stage ... I literally thought I was watching Led Zep and it was 1975 ... oh their name is Led Zepplicate.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

If I were Robert Plant, I don't think I'd want to tour with Led Zeppelin, either, unless I needed the money real bad.

All the other players can do the tunes note for note with the vinyl versions as far as their parts go, but only Plant would have to sing significantly under his youthful highpitch screams and moans. It would be depressing.

Plant still has a great voice - no other voice quite like his. Last weekend I saw the Krauss/Plant performance at the ACL festival - I just about teared up hearing Battle of Evermore, such an evocative song on a bunch of levels.

A brilliant choice on Plant's part, I think, to have moved on and do what he can do given his age and all, which is still great work.

He is so gracious on this tour with Alison Krauss - he's the much bigger icon, but he takes a backseat most of the time. She gets far more solo time, he never upstages her. The crowd just goes nuts when an old Zeppelin tune starts up, but he doesn't exploit that at all.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I heard "Rock and Roll" covered by Susan Tedeshi that sounded real good.

Not sure how she would pull off the rest of the tunes. Im with Craig though, I think Chester has the vocal range and would bring some interesting interpretations. Plants voice is so part of the ZEP sound its hard to envision anyone else in that spot.

Archived