Don't yell "BOMB" in a crowded Hindu Temple

techristian

• Members

Wow, 12000 people in one temple. That's a little bigger than the church my wife makes me go to.

Some of the mega-churches get pretty big.

In 2005, the biggest capacity church in the US was the Lakewood Church, capacity 16,000 souls. You should pardon the expression.

The church bought the former home of the Houston Rockets, nee the Compaq Arena, with loose change from their overflowing collection plates.

My recommendation: do not yell "Bomb!" anywhere unless you are pretty sure there's one about to go off. Do not even whisper it in an airliner or federal building... unless you've been wanting to get an up close, personal look at Gitmo.

• Members

No kidding; heading west, the routine run-of-the-mill churches get bigger, more barrel-chested until well into Indiana, where they really start to look "fatted." I am not talking about big glitz crystal churches like one might find in the OC but just regular old community churches in farm country.

This is not to make fun at all of this terrible, horrific stampede. My heart really goes out to the families of the victims.

• Members

This is so sad. You might also know that there was a stampede in either late July or early August in Himachal Pradesh (foothills of the Himalayas in India) where one hundred people were killed in a stampede during a pilgrimmage because a false rumor spread that there was a landslide. Very sad.

The Indian press has been very critical of how there's a lack of planning, facilities, and control of the flow of people in situations like pilgrimmages and even temples, but especially pilgrimmages.

• Members

In 2005, the biggest capacity church in the US was the
, capacity 16,000 souls. You should pardon the expression.

The church bought the former home of the Houston Rockets, nee the Compaq Arena, with loose change from their overflowing collection plates.

My recommendation: do not yell
"Bomb!"
anywhere
unless you are pretty sure there's one about to go off. Do not even whisper it in an airliner or federal building... unless you've been wanting to get an up close, personal look at Gitmo.

I never thought about that, but you are right. We live in a society that equates bigger with better, which is not always the case.

Dan

Archived