birds as pets

dahkter

• Members

As opposed to birds for dinner or birds as designated drivers...

So here we go:

- wifey was at the pet store, fell in love with a cockatoo

- she wants this bird

- if she wanted a bird, I'd have a better chance of negotiating, however she wants this bird, so it seems like it's happening.

So here's my questions:

- has anyone here (or have any of your acquaintances) owned a cockatoo or simliar large bird

- I've been told they are very intelligent and live for sixty years, is this true

- pluses or minuses?

Googling seems intimidating at this point, plus I feel a commonality with my fellow forumites, interestd in your feedback.

Thanks,

Jason

• Members

I'm of the opinion that keeping birds (whose instinct is to fly) in cages is downright cruel

Just my opinion

I believe with domestic birds they "clip their wings". Not sure on a scietific level what precisely this means (hence my use of quotes).

I'm also unsure as to how relatively cruel domesticating a bird is. Probably more so than owning a bird sanctuary, and less so than a Perdue or Tyson factory...

• Members

I have frequented two houses with pet birds. With all due respect to the owners...OMG! I could aboslutely never live with that squawking. The volume is unreal, very unsettling to the nervous system.

Also please be aware of bird-borne diseases. I know a girl who went from typical to developmentally disabled because of a tropical bird-borne virus. He mother has never forgiven herself.

Now, OF COURSE, I know nothing about breeds and their behaviors. Perhaps only certain breeds sqawk so, and perhaps the risk of bird-borne viruses is remote. Just laying out ALL my experiences with pet birds in on brief post.

• Members

I believe with domestic birds they "clip their wings". Not sure on a scietific level what precisely this means (hence my use of quotes).

It's like a haircut or a nail trimming - you extend the wing and cut the middle feathers (you leave the outside feathers and the very inside usually)

like dog's toenails they have a blood "quick" so you don't want to cut too deeply in

If you cut both sides, it reduces the lifting area of the wing so their flight speed and range is limited (so they won't run into stuff). If you cut one wing, it imbalances their flight so they aren't as aggressive fliers (parrots really aren't that good at flying anyway -- they perch and climb a lot in tree canopies)

It doesn't have todestroy their flying ability (they can still short-range it safely, it's mainly to slow em down so they don't bash themselves) and the feathers grow back

FWIW - my best climbing buddy was Entre the cockatiel (usually considered not a true parrot ornithologically). But he had no fear of heights, so it's not fair. He;s still around, but he has a wife now (she's an amputee) and since they raise clutches in pairs...the single life is over for him!

I can't say parrots (and the like) are really "cage birds" (I mean Entre's cage was just his bedroom, he could open the door -- I only wired it shut if there was a safety issue like the grill going) and that tends to be typical of the responsible owner (plenty of "open perch" time)

BE WARNED they are extremely attention intensive [ moreso than say dogs], you are getting what amts to a mate. IF they do not get attention, they become psychotic (Entre had to rehabititate a blue front Amazon named Merlin b/c his owner was not responsible) -- I don't mean "psychotic" like an ex-girlfriend, I mean psychotic as in clinical psychosis

• Members

I think I just wasn't able to interpret "psychosis" widely enough

The psychotic parrots I've run into generally tend to be self-destructive (overpreen til their feathers won't grow back, etc)

whereas I find ex-ladyfreinds tended to be extrinsicially destructive...stuff I left with them, tire sidewalls, other ladyfriends, areas of my body that entertain me

• Moderators

Waaaaawwwwwck! Every morning, echoing through the house. Waaaawwwcck! I so wanted to become Elmer Fudd and blast that waskely birwd. And then a neighbor expressed interest. "Hey, they're great. Would you be interested in taking care of Nigel?" Named after "They're only making plans... for Nigel". Yes, they do live a while. Longer than they're welcome. Waaaaaawwwwck!

• Members

Hey dahkter,

I LOve birds, I "think" Craig has birds too if I'm not mistaken???

Right now I'm birdless, except for the 100 or so that I feed every day in my yard. I take care of them real good and they love me. I had a Cockatiel named Bird Bird that lived for 27 years, he was in love with a Firby key chain from McDonalds. Firby was red, but once I swapped him out with a green Firby, and Bird Bird wouldn't have anything to do w/ it !!!! Bird Birds wings were not clipped and his door was always open 24/7, he didn't care to go anywhere, even outside he was fine, he knew where his home was. My wife taught him to whistle the Mayberry song.

Leon Russell gave me two Cockatoo's that I kept for about 9 months.

BE WARNED they are extremely attention intensive

Might be an understatement ??? and I liked giving them a lot of attention, but I'd come home from the Studio and just get inside the door and it was "NOW", "come on, let me take my shoes off and get something to eat and then we can play" ... "NO NOW" !!!! Two Cockatoo's as much as I LOve em, are almost as loud as a GTR amplifier. Sometimes 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning they'd go off ... yikes !!!!

On a better note, they talked a lot. I'd come downstairs in the morning for my coffee and they'd tell me a dozen times "I Love You", "Whatcha Doin'"

How cool is that ???

Anyway we like to travel a lot and these birds need as much attention as a dog, with Bird Bird, I could leave him for a couple weeks at a time with enough food and water and he'd be fine. So one time we were going to Mexico and I asked Leon if he would like to baby sit, he said "sure, bring em on over." Well we went to Mexico, but never picked them back up !!!! My wife just couldn't take it.

Then my wife bought me a $3. baby duck and you know what, when he got a little bigger and would fall asleep in my lap, he felt just the same as a $3,000 Cockatoo !!!!! Nick the duck grew up and we went on another trip and released him with all the other ducks in the city park.

I'd kind of like to get another Bird, their really cool, something a little more exotic than a Cockatiel would be nice, but probably not as exotic as a Cockatoo for me.

Let us know how it comes out.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

My friends just bought a big cage containing two parakeets. They are cute. They don't talk but they do whistle and bicker and squeak and flutter and make all sorts of noises...

Putting their canvas cover over their cage makes 'em shaddap.

In my house, I have a 5' tall waterfall which makes a splashing sound... much more pleasant to the ear.

• Members

In high school I dated a girl named Marie. They were real rich. They owned a big white cockatoo in a gilded cage.

Whenever their household phone would ring, the bird would sigh in what sounded like a overtaxed parental voice, "I'll get it!"

Seconds later the bird would say, "Marie, it's for you-u-u..."

:lol:

• Members

I have two macaws and an African Grey parrot. As others have stated, they require a lot of attention but can be very good company. They are noisy and messy, but, in my opinion, well worth it. They all talk, the parrot being the best talker. Most birds sold in the US are captive-bred, so they have never known "freedom". I have large cages for all my birds and their doors are always open when I'm home so they're free to come out as they please. And, yes, they live a long time, most people put them in their wills. Good luck if you decide to go for it!

• Members

Yea that's another thing, I wouldn't even think about getting a bird unless someone hatched it from an egg and feed it by hand, they make way better pets.

The open door policy isn't cruel at all, it's a place to eat and sleep, get them lots of toys, they really like taking the dingers out of bells, but my bird had a ball w/ just a blade of grass or a toothpick.

Got any pic's Fendercaster ????

Russ

Nashville

• Members

When I lived in San Diego for a few years, a friend came out to visit and my girlfriend and I took him to the great

San Diego Zoo.

There was a large cage of parrot-type birds :lem: :blah: :lem: all together chattering away.

My friend John was hanging there saying "Hello" to them as a lot of them were saying "Hello" to him.

At 5:00 PM when the whistle blew indicating the close of the park, one of the birds said "Good-bye!" :eek:

We laughed for a long time. :lol:

My Grandfather always had parakeets (did I spell that correctly?).

When I was a little kid I put my finger in the cage and one nipped bit me, causing me to shed a tear or two. :cry:

Tough little kid that I was, my Grandfather was surprised.

As I grew older and became a tough, older kid and young adult my Grandfather never hesitated to bring that instance up and bust my chops. :lol:

I loved my Grandparents so much :love: and wish they were still here. :cry:

If you still have yours, cherish them. :love:

• Members

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the stories, much appreciated.

I've been running around the last few days, so just got online today for the first time in a while.

I will definitely keep everyone posted if and when this fine feathered friend joins the family fold...

• Members

This is Ceasar. She will be turning 22 in January. I've had her since she was only a few weeks old. When I first got her I had to use a syringe to feed her. I was 22. I am now 43. She has been a great pet. She is friendly likes to be near me. She likes to crawl down my shirt. She's not a great talker but can say "Hello" and "whose a pretty bird?"

P1010784.JPG

I often let her out of her cage but when she can fly, if I don't keep an eye on her she can be destructive. She likes to pick at things. Conures can get loud and they like to have your attention. When I was 22 and was told they can live for about 35 years I thought oh cool that's a good return on investment. But man that is a long time to be caring for something. Your kids probably wont be living in your house that long and after a while the kids can take care of themselves.

I love my bird, but I'm ready to not take care of a bird. Especially now that I've got 2 kids. It's just one less thing I'd rather not have to take care of. But I can't imagine giving her to someone else. So she'll be with me to the end. Cockatoos live even longer.

Good luck.

P1010781.JPG

• Members

Wow...I could say a lot about birds, having owned and currently owning several (including some threatened ones we're trying to breed).

Large birds are loud, messy, expensive, highly intelligent, and can CONVERSE, not just parrot things back. They cannot pronounce certain sounds we can, so it takes a while to figure out their dialect. But they really do talk about things, and like to communicate. And I mean REAL communication, not "woof" or "meow." They learn English quite easily; they have the intelligence of about a three-year-old - and the same level of maturity. They also bond selectively. Some are very social; some will bond with one person and basically want to kill anyone else.

As to the cage thing, that's a personal decision. We take our birds out all the time to socialize and be petted. To them, the cage is more like a bedroom where they hang out. Two of our birds have a cage large enough that they can fly for short distances.

Birds are VERY demanding. If you don't understand they are like kids and require equal attention, and if you don't accommodate that, they you ARE being cruel. Overall, they are the most fascinating pains in the ass you could ever have for a pet.

I could tell you stories about some of them, but no one would believe me :)

One important thing to remember is those beaks can open beer cans or take off a finger. Birds use their beaks as hands and for balancing. It's counter-intuitive, but if a bird bites your finger (which is normal, they do this relatively gently - it's their equivalent of a very firm handshake), DO NOT remove the finger!! They will lose their balance and then REALLY bite you because they're afraid of falling - like if you were falling and grabbed a handrail for dear life.

Birds are also relatively fragile. You have to be very careful about what you feed them. For example, some birds love grapes but if there's any mold, they can die very easily.

Birds are NOT casual pets. For that, get a cat. They are a hardcore responsibility but can be extremely rewarding due to their intelligence.

Archived