Anyone listen to music in a language you don't understand?

phaeton

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do fairly often, since I cruise around on NPR's All Songs Considered and they have a very broad range of music there. Here's an example:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15963491

The first song on that page, by Gaby Kerpel. Have no idea what he's saying, but it's an incredibly infectious song. It takes a minute or so to really get going.

Of course there's Segur Ros as well, who have their own language so everyone listens to them in a foreign language.

I can't find another one that I'd heard. Some Argentinian or Brazillian lady, who could pretty much sing a male to orgasm I think. It might not have been nearly as sexy if I'd understood it, I dunno. She might have been singing about dishwashing for all I know.

• Members

that {censored}ty constant alternating bass music

Oompa-loompa music! :wave:

I used to work at a multi-cultural radio station in Seattle. It was mostly Spanish (at least half oompa-loompa music), but a smattering of other languages such as Vietnamese, German, Tongan, Scandinavian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, Ukranian, etc.

We had one Eritrean show, and the guy would come in every week and hand me a cassette which I would load into the computer. I absolutely loved the song that he used as his intro, and hadn't a clue what the words said. It sounded bad, obviously recorded from an old cassette onto each new cassette as he produced the show at home or wherever. I asked him about the song once, and he kindly brought me a cassette of a different Eritrean artist, saying he couldn't find anything from that one particular artist. I still have the cassette, but it got old very quickly because every song was pretty much the same. Exactly the same beat and rhythm. Still, I always loved that intro song, and I wish I knew who it was so I could track it down.

• Members

I listen to a lot of African music. There was one particular album which was pretty "vintage" -- villagers with a field recorder, not expatriates in Paris using Pro Tools. The music was exquisitely lyrical, very beautiful. I found a translation of the words and they went something like this:

"I went down to the stream today

And there were some animals.

I thought I needed some clothes washed

So I talked to my wife.

She took the clothes to the stream

And she saw animals, too.

Then it rained a little bit, and we got wet.

After that, I ate something but it wasn't as good

As what I ate yesterday.

After the clothes were washed, they dried.

The sun is good for drying clothes..."

Ad infinitum. I probably would have dug it more if I hadn't found the lyrics :)

• Members

I've already posted my thoughts on the Cocteau Twins. But intelligibility doesn't count. Sorry about that.

Noh opera is a really old Japanese style that takes getting used to. Even modern-day speakers have a hard time with it.

And I really wish I could speak better French, especially the Belgian style of the late, great Jaques Brel. BTW I also studied Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, but I'm lost with French. Can't figure that one out.

• Members

Another African music fan here...Salif Keeta, Youssou N'Dour, various and sundry others. I do dig up the lyrics from time to time, but mainly I'm listening to the rhythms and the otherness of the music compared to Western stuff.

That french hip-hop sounds sooooo nasty - don't have to know the words, if they sung the Pledge of Alliegance it would still sounds skanky as....as...well I wouldn't want to say as what. nasty.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Anyone listen to French rap music? It actually works pretty well.

MC Solaar and such?

some, it really does work surprisingly well

yeahm, I dig other-language music - I dig instrumental music too so it's not a huge huge leap. I bet I process the two differently, but can't really say I have a good handle on that (ah, self-examination in a system...can be a tough puzzle)

hmmm, good question i'm going to have to chew on (how I experience the 3 -- lyrics I can understands, lyrics I can't,no lyrics)

• Members

Two come to mind, though I'm certain there are more.

Dungen is a Swedish rock 'n roll band that seems to have stepped straight out of the golden age of psychedelia. Well worth checking out.

www.myspace.com/dungen

Os Mutantes was a really great Brazilian band that has been getting some exposure as of late. I heard one of their songs on a commercial recently. I read an article that referred to them as the Brazilian Beatles, as they were around at the same time and wrote really bizarre yet extremely catchy songs.

• Members

Sure... from the Cocteau Twins all the way to people who sing in real languages. (I'll admit, it's bee a while for the Cocteaus but there was a period some years ago when I listened all the time.)

Lots of French, lots of Portuguese, quite a bit of Spanish. Those are the biggies. And like a few others, a number of African languages. I went through a big African music phase in the 80s and 90s when I saw a number of artists, Sunny Ade, Fela, Baba Maal, Manu Dibango, some others, and it's still a touchstone when I'm looking for something really funky or really cool.

Archived