Oy! Do I Feel Old! (again)

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

I'm listening to American Routes on the radio and this week's show is about records and producers. Host Nick Spitzer was talking about how "records are a technology of the past, but they used to have an A side and a B side" and explaining that RPM stands for "revolutions per minute."

Do people today really need to be told that? Sheesh! I think I'll gas up the flivver and go out for an egg cream.

• Members

I think that was a way of playing music at home, since you couldn't play it in a car. That's what something called 8-tracks was for. I think that's right. I don't know...I don't watch the History Channel much.

You're livin' in the past, my man.

Now, you can take your music with you on the road...

car_phonograph270x374.jpg

However, it's probably gonna have to be a very smooth ride. The teenager who lived next door to me when I was 10 or 11 had a super-ultra-chromed up '56 Mercury (turquoise and blue two tone paint job belted with huge bands of chrome -- you could see him coming a half mile away glinting in the sun) with a 7" record player (that'd be for those 45 rpm jobs) and a tone arm held down by a nasty spring... I tried to get him to play it while we were cruising around because I thought that would be so utterly cool but he wouldn't do it because he said it ruined the records because it skipped and bounced around so much and the needle pressure was so insane. I believe he used it for parking.

This is pretty close to his car -- the colors and basic body style are the same...

56Mercury.jpg

... but his had a huge band of chrome that arced up over the roof, which was also two tone, white in front and blue on the back.

I say bring back chrome and two tone cars...

• Members

FWIW... I've always considered the term
record
to be format-agnostic. A vinyl
LP
or as I tend to call them now, a
grooved disc,
and
a CD are both records. I will admit that my lexical precision breaks down a little, 'cause I don't find myself describing an mp3 as a record as rule -- but I
will
still call an
album of mp3s
a record.

I'm right with you on that one -- after all, "record" is just short for "recording", a non-medium-specific term.

I think it sounds better when musicians say "We're working on a new record", rather than "a new CD" -- as if the medium was the goal, rather than the record of a performance.

• CMS Author

They need to say how we talked on rotary dial phones and watched black and white tellys while we listened to our records!

I have a dial telephone in my studio control room, and a black-and-white television on top of my wind-up Edison phonograph. There are some PCM-F1 tapes stored in its cabinet along side the small 78 RPM record collection.

• CMS Author

A lot of the young hipsters I know are deeply into vinyl. But normies... yeah... they're pretty much floating in the moment. They're barely aware that the past was even
different.

Well, I've gotta admit that I was listening to the radio program via the Internet since it's not carried on over-the-air radio here any longer. The station that used to carry American Routes (as well as a number of other great roots-music programs) took nearly all that programming off the air and established a full time (though with a lot of repetition) Internet station bluegrasscountry.org.

I've always considered the term
record
to be format-agnostic. A vinyl
LP
or as I tend to call them now, a
grooved disc,
and
a CD are both records.

I try to say "CD" and "phonograph record" these days, but I usually just say "record" when dealing with any recorded package.

I will admit that my lexical precision breaks down a little, 'cause I don't find myself describing an mp3 as a record as rule -- but I
will
still call an
album of mp3s
a record.

One of the things that the MP3 has done (well, two things, actually) is brought back the concept of the single, which was lost through most of the first half of the CD era. The other thing is that even when artists and producers try to make a coherent CD where the songs fit together, people broke them apart by ripping "singles" of their choice off the CD, or putting the whole CD on their MP3 player and running it in "shuffle" mode so they never hear two songs together that were intended to be played together.

I remember the 16 RPM in-car record players, and I think I still have the shop manual for my 1957 Ford that had a radio with tubes that ran with 12V on the plates so it didn't need a vibrator high voltage power supply.

• Members

A lot of the young hipsters I know are deeply into vinyl. But normies... yeah... they're pretty much floating in the moment. They're barely aware that the past was even different.

I know a lot of people who are into vinyl, and they're aware that the past was very different. How could they not? Just listen to the music! But there's a reason why they are collecting vinyl of the past, and not collecting vinyl for breakbeats or other modern stuff...it's because the music of the 1960s and 1970s strongly resonate with them, no matter the genre, a music that is rarely being made now. Sure, someone in their 20s or even 30s might be getting much of this music out of context, but trust me, they're acutely aware that this music was made under very different circumstances in a different sort of past - it's the very reason they're collecting it.

• Moderators

...I have a dial telephone in my studio control room...

After having so much bad luck with cheap wireless telephones for the coveted "next to the kitchen" position, I bought a standard wired phone. Not an old fashion phone, just a regular push button wire phone attached to the wall. Currently available at your local Target. It WORKS!!!

My daughter's 11 year old friends always say, "These old fashioned phones are cool!"

OK.

Can you say Classic iPod?

Archived