"Sloop John B"... Wow, what a record!

• Members

When was the last time you listened to the Beach Boys' "Sloop John B." closely, over a great pair of speakers?

What an amazing record! A masterpiece of the pop genre, really.

Are there saxophones and trombones playing subtly in the background?

How magnificent is the way the glockenspiel adds those little sparkly notes!

The balance achieved among the two or three vocal choirs is sublime.

And does that bass part kick ass... or WHAT??? :eek::eek::eek: Besides the amazing notes that the player is choosing, listen also to how fantastically the bass has been EQ'd... Wow...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's Carol on the bass...

Blasphemy alert! SJB is one of my LEAST favorite songs on Pet Sounds. Great tune, great arrangement and performances, but there's definitely stuff on that album I think are better candidates for "best pop record of all time".

L--cqAI3IUI

Not the final album version (Brian's singling lead instead of Carl, but selected due to the great studio shots!), but quite possibly THE perfect pop single:

BC_UILNwWrc

So criminally under-rated that it's embarrassing:

m1rxMBA4w18

Pet Sounds = One of the ten best records ever waxed. :phil:

I genuflect in Brian Wilson's general direction... th_Hail.gif

• Members
http://www.carolkaye.com/ An amazing and VERY busy talent. I was interested to read on her site a while back about some of her material being pirated. I figured I would do my part to help support her and sent an email ordering two of her CD's, one for me and one for my nephew, who needs to broaden his horizons. In the email I asked if she would autograph the one for my nephew. Sure enough, a few days later the two CD's arrived, both autographed by Carol.

• Members

I first saw Brian a few years ago, performing Pet Sounds with an orchestra, at the Mann Music Center in Philly. Was a musical epiphany. I'd sort of forgotten how great the Beach Boys music was, and what a genius Brian is. And there was something really uplifting about seeing a guy who'd been paralyzed with stage fright, not to mention other mental issues, come out the other end a be touring and performing at that level again. An amazing guy.

PS. also saw them perform Smile; another amazing performance.

• Members

Very good. That was the skunk, obviously taking time off from his defense consulting gig. ;) He sat in on a few songs. It was a great show. I was actually close enough that I could have reached up and pulled Brian off his stool if I had wanted to be mean (and die). I was under 2 feet away from the stool he was sitting on. The fellow next to me actually picked up Brian's bottle of water from the stage floor and handed it to him. This was in the Gibson Guitar tent with a mob of about 200-300 people. It was a great way to see Brian. Later in the evening I caught Joan Jett in the same place.

Archived