Hey guys!

Phait

• Members

I thought it fitting to come back since I'm working on an album I feel more comfortable delivering after 5 years of blank shots, and to update you on what's been up.

Where to begin? I think the last 5 years of my life have been quite formative for me. I look at myself 5 years ago and I notice a big difference. I studied Buddhism (but not practiced) and became even more compassionate, patient, and understanding. Less attached to material possessions (not that I was ever too attached, but it lessened nonetheless)... the way I handle things that happen to me, the input I give others... it's all improved or changed for the better.

I'm so much less despondent than I was! I can't say I've grown in confidence as a person overall, but a few years ago I found that my niche for graphic and webdesign is definitely a career I want to pursue. It took a few years for that to hit me. I want to attend school next year (though I may have to this year if I can't find a job). I started Jade Raven Design in '05 and while it's not a business, it's a new entity that I'm proud of.

Speaking of jobs, I had a few here/there and some I left under a defeatist attitude, not feeling capable though I perfectly was. It all came around full circle when I was given a 4 days on, 3 days off, 10 hour - 3rd shift job a month ago. I enjoyed it, my coworkers were good, the pay and perks etc. was all good. I hadn't put in my 90 days, but went home sick after half a shift, bit the bullet and took 1 attendance point (all you're allowed in 90 days). A week later though I was physically at work half an hour earlier, I began to clock in at 07:29:50 -- shift started at 07:30 PM. A hand scan takes not even 5 seconds, but somehow I ended up 5 seconds late on the clock in, and was fired. Most people there were already fed up with management politics and such... one kid had gotten into a car accident, called in to let them know he'd be late. They saw the grass under his car from a ditch and fired him anyway.

I feel bad that I'm back at square 1, but perhaps with that kind of energy/heresay going around work maybe it was for the best? I don't know. I do know I didn't want to leave the job, and that was significant for me.

I had a great friendship started this summer which I eventually lost to great ignorance on her part... and I got mugged a few weeks ago.

Long story short, 3 guys were walking towards my direction at about 2 AM in front of a Perkins diner I usually frequent. I was punched by 1 guy, in the teeth and my backpack was taken. Police found most of the contents emptied, but haven't found them. I remembered a vehicle I could describe. Some news came around from a coworker and adding up a few variables I now suspect a coworker that nobody liked, but whom knew me - and whom I'd met at Perkins prior to receiving the job even. For the full story, it's here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=334564474&blogID=436012647

The cops likely aren't doing anything, which is a shame. I've given them the updated information and have not heard anything. I've been told by my cousin and my uncle (who is an officer) that for robbery and felony battery, they could be facing 50 years.

My musical inspirations have opened up tenfold. When I started out I was very into Nine Inch Nails, but now I've found Depeche Mode and Dave Gahan's solo work to be some of the most important music in my life. If I had to live with just 1 band in my collection, it'd be DM. Else I've opened up and gotten into: Black Label Society, Lacuna Coil, Dead Can Dance, Peter Gabriel, Bjork, Massive Attack, Tricky, The Cure, The Doors, Primus, Depeche Mode, Saul Williams, Sigur Ros, Nine Inch Nails, nearLY, Nirvana, Radiohead, Frank Sinatra, My Vitriol, Tori Amos, Stone Temple Pilots, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Staind, Deftones, A Perfect Circle, Cold, Type O Negative, Filter, Orgy, Coal Chamber, Johnny Cash, Sevendust, Alice In Chains, Full Devil Jacket, Mudvayne, Dave Navarro, The Deadlights, Fiona Apple, Lennon Murphy, Jesper Kyd, Nostalgia... Rob/White Zombie, Imogen Heap, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, John McLaughlin & Shakti...

I sold my Roland Fantom-S when I was unemployed and have moved over to softsynths with an Emu Xboard 49, a TASCAM FireOne interface/control for guitar and mic, and an Audio-Technica AT2020 mic which I haven't used yet. Also got a nice deal at GC on a $330 Ibanez acoustic-electric for $230.

So I think, that's that. I'm feeling motivated again and still glad to have the ol' community here even though it's a "new" place.

If any of you were wondering about the interviews I used to do (feat: Phil and Lee, Bob Katz and others), I'm thinking about putting them back up somewhere.

I'm also on Myspace so check the sig if you want to add me :wave:

Archived