Jesus is my Friend

boosh

• Moderators

Yeah...

I saw that a few months ago. I was teasing a friend of mine, one of the best drummers I know and currently wrapped up ion the modern Christian Rock world. The top of the heap of that genre. As in really good players playing almost secular pop music with good songs that happen to have good values too, etc. Rarely slipping in the "J" word to maximize exposure and minimize prejudice.

Well, he's fun to tease because he's so good and mixed up in a racket that is so bad so often. To counter my attack he sent (in jest) the video in question.

Yep. That bass player singer is possessed by the lord for sure. You can see it in his greasy groove. And the guitarist is just working that skank. Uh huh. The keys lady. Shreddin'.

• Members

Nice to see them reaching out to today's youth through the music of the day.

This begs us to ask the question: can Christian black metal be far behind?

You know, sort of the Mel Gibson S&M take on the Passion... grinding guitars and grotesque, ultra-violent, sexually-charged sadism... all in the name of...

... maybe not.

• Members

You know, sort of the Mel Gibson S&M take on the Passion... grinding guitars and grotesque, ultra-violent, sexually-charged sadism... all in the name of...

... maybe not.

It's been around for some time.

• Moderators

Here's my take on Christian music. I'm not a believer first off. I am a recovering Catholic that served 9 years in Catholic schools as a kid.

So... Christian Pop Music. It moves me. Not the song above of course. Clearly lame in so many ways. But the successful stuff for the most part moves me. I've never bought a Christian Pop or Rock CD with the exception of Switchfoot. But when I hear that CD commercial on TV, Christian Rock Power Ballads!!! or whatever they're hocking at the time, there's something about it that moves me. And that something...

...is sincerity. They believe in what they're saying. That, I find inspirational, even though their message is one I'm not buying. And that is why there is a lot of BAD Christian music as well. Because they believe, they're more willing to complete a project and get it out there even if they suck beyond imagination.

What works for the gifted blows for the untalented. Well, it blows for us actually because we have to hear the untalented sharing their belief in such an untalented way.

My friends involved in that scene agree with me, by the say. Some of these guys are earning very decent livings as Christian Rock artists support and playing some very good music.

• Members

... maybe not.

Actually, yes there is. I've heard numerous examples and do not understand the dichotomy. Because you know the "white metal" bands were listening to the "black metal" bands. And even if they were originally influenced by the "white metal", you still can't extract the black metal influence. And people think aspertame gives you a headache.

• Members

Here's my take on Christian music. I'm not a believer first off. I am a recovering Catholic that served 9 years in Catholic schools as a kid.

So... Christian Pop Music. It moves me. Not the song above of course. Clearly lame in so many ways. But the successful stuff for the most part moves me. I've never bought a Christian Pop or Rock CD with the exception of Switchfoot. But when I hear that CD commercial on TV, Christian Rock Power Ballads!!! or whatever they're hocking at the time, there's something about it that moves me. And that something...

...is sincerity. They believe in what they're saying. That, I find inspirational, even though their message is one I'm not buying. And that is why there is a lot of BAD Christian music as well. Because they
believe
, they're more willing to complete a project and get it out there even if they suck beyond imagination.

What works for the gifted blows for the untalented. Well, it blows for us actually because we have to hear the untalented sharing their belief in such an untalented way.

My friends involved in that scene agree with me, by the say. Some of these guys are earning very decent livings as Christian Rock artists support and playing some very good music.

Lee- I`m recovering too and I completely agree with you. Especially the sincerity aspect of this.

Sincerity is the top seller for all music, no matter the genre.

In a way this is what I was referring to in the thread Bruce Swedien started several weeks ago in which he spoke about Discipline... I disagreed in part with him stating that passion is the most important aspect to music, not discipline.

Its the passion of Bono (U2) that we all admire. Its the passion-charisma of Led Zep, The Rolling Stones that we love and rock out to. The records of these artists do not sound that great technically speaking but damn, there is passion and sincerity there. It literally bleeds through the speakers.

This is what sells records, not discipline or technical know how.

Passion-charisma is something that cannot be taught. You either have it or you don`t. Thats that something we often speak of about an artist.

The intangible.

CCM, like all genres, has its good and its bad. Unfortunately, as with all music genres, there tends to be more "bad" than "good".

HOWEVER, as someone who used to record quite a bit of it (and still occasionally does), I can report that it's not ALL bad. A couple of examples:

I wasn't originally a fan of these guys - the first few records didn't knock me out... but this one did:

q2zSNOWpI9s

Here's a live version of an L.S.U. song you might like (I worked on the studio recordings for this one, and the next clip):

0dMyibSLiGU&feature=related

From Mike Knott's first solo album (Screaming Brittle Siren) - again, a live version:

w3T-Mu0yZ8A&feature=related

• Members

LOVE THE VIDEO!

I think christian rock was better when it sounded like that, and wasn't so concerned with emulating whatever is currently selling in the secular market.

I guess we can thank this guy,

180px-Steve_Taylor_-_Limelight.jpg

-and these guys

stryper.jpg

for being instrumental in bridging the gap between something like the above Sonseed and the stuff we have now like Switchfoot.

The more I think about CCM the harder time I have really understanding it. Black gospel music is some of the most amazing, powerful and uniquely American music ever written. Yet scores of predominately white Evangelical churches shun gospel in favor of CCM, which is some of the most generic sound-alike stuff out there.

Would now be a good time for a review of Religulous by my favorite YouTuber?

[YOUTUBE]s7t8_euIdXI[/YOUTUBE]

Archived