PROTEUS EMULATOR -just tuning and more

techristian

• Members

Well as I said earlier, I got the E-MU 1820 package loaded with all kinds of software goodies including a proteus emulator and SP12 emulator.

The curious thing I was reading in the manual, is that I can tune this thing about 12 different ways.

Equal Temperament Standard Western tuning

12 equally spaced notes per octave.

Just C Just intonation. Based on small interval ratios. Sweet and

pure, non-beating intervals.

Vallotti Valotti & Young non-equal temperament. Similar to 12 tone

equal temperament. Each key has a different

character for a given scale.

19-Tone 19 tone equal temperament. 19 notes per octave.

Difficult to play, but works well with a sequencer.

Gamelan 5 tone Slendro and 7 tone Pelog. (Javanese.) Pelog are

white keys, Slendro are black keys. Exotic tunings of

Gamelan flavor.

Just C2 Allows you to play the following chords in the key of C: C, E,

F G, A, B, C#m, D#m, Em, F#m, G#m, Am, Bm

Just C-minor Allows you to play the following chords in the key of C: C, E,

F G, A, B, Em, Am, Bm, C#m, D#m, G#m

Just C3 Allows you to play the following chords in the key of C: C, D,

F Bb, C#m, Dm, Em, F#m, G#m, Am

Werkmeister III A

• Members

Now I'm guessing that none of my other instruments will be in tune with many of these tunings ??? I'll be creating music only with the PROTEUS if I should decide to use one of the novel tunings???

It will be fun to play with some of these.

Dan

I'd say just try making music with your alternately-tuned Proteus and your other instruments and let your ears decide.

When I was in community orchestra (viola section), we all tuned to the oboe or first violin's A string, regardless of whether piano or other tuned percussion was to be part of the music. Our conductor/music director wanted the strings and horns to be in just intonation most of the time - if we hit a chord that he thought was out of tune, he'd pick out the instruments that he thought were out of tune, make them play the chord, then adjust each instrument until the chord was as beatless as possible (just intonation). He didn't care if we were in tune with the piano - he cared more about us being in tune with each other.

Of course, a professionally tuned piano is not in perfect equal temperament either.

So, just try making music with all of your instruments and let your ears decide.

Archived