I need a Portable Recorder Suggestion

amplayer

• Members

Mike Rivers, or anyone else:

I need a Portable Recorder Suggestion. Right now, there are lots of them available. I'm looking for one around the $500 price range or so. I'm leaning toward the Sony PCM-D50, but there are lots of new ones; Hence my request for suggestions.

Most of them out there would meet my needs for features. However, my most important features are the following:

1) Recording Sound Quality using builtin microphones. That is, I need a very clean sounding recording and reasonable stereo image without having to hook up external microphones.

2) Ability to visually monitor recording level.

3) Battery life of at least an hour, or else uses widely available batteries such as AA.

4) Headphone output is good enough to determine how good the recording is.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I can't vouch for some of the other brands. I've had an Edirol R-1 and an R-4. Now, I have the Sony D-50. I'm keeping this one. All of your requirements are met by this machine. The on-board mics are very good, but very sensitive to handling noise and wind noise. I use rechargeable Duracell NiMH AA. One set will last most of the day.

• Members

If I were going to purchase a portable recorder and sound quality was a prime consideration, I'd look at the Korg 1-bit recorder first (the smaller one, not the larger one). Unfortunately, it's a bit over your stated price of $500. I think it's probably about $700 or so.

There's some other good choices, such as the M-Audio MicroTrack IIs, which are well under $500 and seem solid.

• Members
The Tibet Connection is using several M-Audio portable units. Some of them we purchased, and some were generously donated by our very own M-Audio/Gus (thank you!!!!!). We do monthly radio shows with them every month, and I believe all but one of them are used in the Himalayas. They seem to be solid and work well. We usually use them with external mics, including a shotgun mic, I believe. These have proven to be reliable and are well under $500.

• CMS Author

I'm looking for one around the $500 price range or so. I'm leaning toward the Sony PCM-D50, but there are lots of new ones.

Actually, most of the new ones came out last year or very early this year. The flood seems to have subsided.

I think the Sony PCM-D50 is an excellent choice in that price range (it's actually the only one in that price range to my knowledge) and meets all of your qualifications, but how did you choose the $500 point?

I didn't buy one for two reasons:

• mics, and the Sony does.

• Members

I picked up a Tascam DR-1 a couple of weeks ago and am pretty happy with it.

It meets all of your requirements.

Things I like:

Wide selection of recording formats. You can record Wav 16 or 24 bit. Mp3 at 32, 64, 96,128, 192, 256 or 320kbps. The sampling rate can be 44.1 or 48kHz.

Came with 1 gig sd card and can use up to 32 gig if you use SD HC.

Battery charge lasts 7 hours.

Things I Don't Like:

The battery is proprietary so not cheap to replace or get a second.

Had to pay extra for the accessory kit that allows you to connect it to a mic stand.

I've found a site where you can hear some samples of the recorder in action here The audio under Bouche

• Members
Actually, most of the new ones came out last year or very early this year. The flood seems to have subsided.

I think the Sony PCM-D50 is an excellent choice in that price range (it's actually the only one in that price range to my knowledge) and meets all of your qualifications, but how did you choose the $500 point?

I didn't buy one for two reasons:

I'm not stuck on $500, but as you mentioned, the D-50 is around that price point and seems to have everything I want.

My application is recording sounds from various on-location sources, which are then used in a sampler to make new/interesting instruments out of for use in scoring to film/video.

I'd be willing to spend a bit more if there's a reason to, but I don't have much more that I could justify spending.

• Members

I use an M-Audio Microtrack II and I think it is wonderful. I love the sound, even when set at "ordinary" 44.1kHz/16 bit CD quality. It has a lot of options, including the aforementioned SPDIF, RCA ins and it includes a removable stereo mic. I prefer the option of a mic I can replace rather than possibly destroying it and having to replace the entire chassis.

I bought it primarily to record live gigs with my band. Other recorders would distort too easily, lacking proper limiters to reduce this problem. The limiter in this machine works fantastically. It's easy to set the levels with buttons on the front, so if something is too loud, you can simply pull back the gain and voila, no distortion. You can tell very simply when this is happening with two red lights. When it's 'safe', green lights stay on. There is no need to adjust things through a menu and squinting your eyes at a tiny LCD in order to access it. Also, the display is backlit for as long as you want and you can even turn the limiter off if you don't need it (say, outdoor sounds or an interview low in dBs).

The bad stuff? It's around $350 and does not include any recording media (it takes CompactFlash cards, which are more expensive than other cards). Also, it's too easy to accidentally turn it on (draining the battery) and also too easy to accidentally delete a file. For long shows, it has locked up at times, but for short runs, it has worked just fine. It could have just been the particular card I had in there, since I've only used the same card I bought for it months ago. I may have to buy another one just to see if it does the same thing.

Still, there are trade-offs and problems with pretty much anything. I really like it and would recommend one to anyone. :)

EDIT: Additional information...I re-read your initial post and realize that you didn't want the hassle of an external mic. So, it wouldn't fulfill 1) for you. As for 2), 3) and 4), yes, yes (battery lasts around 3-4 hours), and yes, although monitoring the recording during the recording process will reduce the battery life a lot faster than if you just record and play back the results later.

• Members

I wrote an article for the September EQ comparing nine different models. Each description tells what each one does best and what its limitations are.

I was somewhat surprised that they are all quite different. For example, the most rugged doesn't have the best battery life, the most flexible doesn't cost the most, the least expensive one has a high-Z instrument input but the most expensive does not, etc. etc. You really need to define your needs as precisely as possible, because if you do, one will stand out above the rest.

• Members

I wrote an article for the September EQ comparing nine different models. Each description tells what each one does best and what its limitations are.

Yah, I used this when I bought mine. Thanks Craig. :thu::)

• CMS Author

I was somewhat surprised that they are all quite different. For example, the most rugged doesn't have the best battery life, the most flexible doesn't cost the most, the least expensive one has a high-Z instrument input but the most expensive does not, etc. etc. You really need to define your needs as precisely as possible, because if you do, one will stand out above the rest.

Yup, or else do what I did and buy two - a Zoom H2 for whipping out of my pocket to grab a tune or a set at a festival, and a Korg MR-1000 for when I'm going to be recording a real concert with real mics, and usually with real power so I don't have to burn up eight AA cells in a few hours.

Still, there are functions on the Zoom that I wish the Korg had, and vice versa. I didn't find a single do-it-all recorder for me, just like I've never found a single do-it-all microphone.

• Moderators

I have an Edirol R09 both at my day job and at home. It records MP3s of various bit rates, and WAV files up to 96kHz 24 bit. Built in microphones sound great, it's a first class little recorder. Uses standard or rechargeable AA batteries, has a USB port, bright display, earphone jack out (no speaker due to small size), and a well designed user interface. Accepts line and mike levels, stereo. They're good enough to use for scientific measurements and my field unit at work has taken long, rough use and still works.

Only thing I'd change if I could is the flimsy feeling plastic door on the bottom compartment that you have to open to access the batteries, the flash card, and the USB connector. Once you learn how to open it correctly it's no problem, and I've not broken either one's door yet.

They're currently about $399 with a leather case and tripod stand (Musician's Friend).

I recommend it very highly.

Terry D.

• Members

I don't own a portable recorder, but if / when I eventually get one, it will probably be the Yamaha 2G - due to its small size, long battery life, large memory, great sound quality, easy USB connectivity, etc. etc. - I might actually be more inclined to keep it with me and use it.
:D

The 2G is really slick, and there's a price drop on it to $299 because Yamaha is introducing the Pocketrak CX, which is more musician-oriented. I shot a video at AES with Athan Billias from Yamaha explaining the difference between the two; it should be up in the next day or two.

• CMS Author

The 2G is really slick, and there's a price drop on it to $299 because Yamaha is introducing the Pocketrak CX, which is more musician-oriented.

Those little Yamaha recorders are just too small to be practical. You could easily mistake it for a Hershey's chocolate with almonds bar and eat it before you realize what you're doing.

Archived