What "Side gigs" will you be doing to make ends meet in a "post collapse" world?

GY

• Members

There are other things I could do. Sell from the garden. Electrical. Car repair. Backyard well drilling. Maybe a small, boutique winery... people will still need their booze. How about you?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was thinking I might start offering a live recording service. Want your gig recorded kinda thing. Start with a live to 2 track and then expand from there. Thing is I hear clubs are already offering board mix CDs? So may be a hard sell. Also with the new cheap digital recorders bands will probably do it themselves. Pipe dream I guess.

Maybe I'll start a home computer help service. Help rescue clueless people from spyware and viruses. Install routers and such.

If I get laid off maybe it's time to take a social services test and work for the government? May be a safer place to work?

I'm definitely worried cause things are looking pretty scary these days.

• Members

I feel good about the fact folks around here are seeing what's coming. I don't feel like the guy screaming the sky is falling anymore. God Help us all. I'm having a hard time justifying staying around here through a collapse. No kids, no wife..May as well go to a place that already has a lower standard of living, grows food locally, is cheap etc, where I can play my guitar, surf and just live a life. I live in Alaska and while it's probably a good place to be as far as survival in a post crash world, it would be a tough life as it's cold 8 months of the year. We have more Timber, Game, Fish, and water then we could ever use for the amount of people up here plus the population is thin. However, it would be a tough life, hunting, fishing, cutting wood, etc..I'm a creature of modern comfort and the thought of going back to a life where most of my waking hours were devoted to just survival is depressing no matter how long and hard I look at it. Hence, I think I would rather go to another place that's more laid back but where is that place? Argentina? Nice but Cold water and limited Surf..Costa Rica? Lots of Gringos down there..Thailand would be good but for the impending revolution...Still pondering but where ever you are going to be, ya have to be able to grow food locally, there has to be water, little violence..If you have that you are about as good as you can be because here in the US we are going to be hit harder then anywhere else. The Piper is calling.

Oh, so what am I doing? Well my gigs have almost completely dried up at home so I head back over to Denmark and N. Europe to gig where they still have money to pay me. It's a sacrifice in that I have to be gone for my home, friends, cats, gear, studio and life but it's good to gig a lot. Spent almost 5 months in EU this year and will be heading back on the 22nd until probably March. I have been home since June and have worked in the studio almost non stop on a project for a female that i had to write music to her lyrics and basic melodies, record, play all the instruments, produce, mix etc etc..so that's been my sidework and probably 10 gigs all summer.

• Members

For extra money, it's my band (which I'm probably going to quit at the end of the year after playing with them for over nine years), recording music for people at my studio, and doing Akai MG1214 tape transfers (analog to digital) for people. At the moment, I've just completed doing some transfers for the band Sparks.

I feel good about the fact folks around here are seeing what's coming. I don't feel like the guy screaming the sky is falling anymore.

I think everyone realizes that this is something very serious in general for our country.

• Members

Errr... Hmmm.... Let's get real. Unless you have a bank of solar cells, or a local creek dammed up to run a generator, you won't be doing things that use electricity. Musicians will be playing live, and playing acoustic - - it may possibly bring back the days when people who talked while musicians play were thought rude. (That'd be cool!)

If I survive, I'll spend most of my time keeping my garden healthy so I don't starve. Maybe tending some small livestock too. (Rabbits are pretty tasty)

• Members

Errr... Hmmm.... Let's get real. Unless you have a bank of solar cells, or a local creek dammed up to run a generator, you won't be doing things that use electricity. Musicians will be playing live, and playing acoustic - - it may possibly bring back the days when people who talked while musicians play were thought rude. (That'd be cool!)

If I survive, I'll spend most of my time keeping my garden healthy so I don't starve. Maybe tending some small livestock too. (Rabbits are pretty tasty)

• Members

If I get laid off maybe it's time to take a social services test and work for the government? May be a safer place to work?

If Obama is elected, your idea is a very good one. While the rest of the country/economy is contracting, the Federal government will be massively increasing. Unfortunately, there won't be many taxpayers left to pay for it...

• Members

You should just donate the Akai to me and any stockpiled tapes you have.
;)

Why are you gonna need it in a post industrial wasteland?

The robots that take over the earth will be fascinated by the analog museum I will have created.

I just narrowly missed a bid on the Akai 14D rackmount on eBay. The MG1214 I have is a bit sick.

• Moderators

Errr... Hmmm.... Let's get real. Unless you have a bank of solar cells, or a local creek dammed up to run a generator, you won't be doing things that use electricity.

Good point about the electricity. Hmmmm.... OK! I've got it. Brewmaster!

• Members

I've really thought about this. Plant mondo corn, get my grape arbors goin' again. Build a still. I have no dray animals, but I could pick some up right quick. Depending on the time of economic collapse, I might get a bearing crop in, even if it was just hay. The next year would be rough, and the year after... I trust in Providance. And Whiskey. I have seen hard times. I will eat any protien from grubs to city slickers who come to steal my corn. No guilt, no regrets. When the {censored} hits the fan, you're all meat.

• Members

"... I head back over to Denmark and N. Europe to gig where they still have money to pay me......

hehehe

That may not be as easy as you think.

Have you seen what's happening on the European stock markets?

Same here in Australia.

It's incredible how many banks and financial institutions

were sucked in to buying debt from USA companies.

This is a world wide phenomenon.

This is really really bad for the U.S.A.'s image around the world.

At the moment in most countries it's below zero.

Hard to see how it's ever gonna improve.

When it's really gonna get ugly is when the U.S.A.

actually goes under and other countries around the

planet realise they are never gonna get paid the

billions of $ America owes them.....

G.W. Bush will go down as the president who presided over the fall.....

• Members

G.W. Bush will go down as the president who presided over the fall.....

It's hardly that bad. But the thing that freaks me out is that, there are something like 100 million home owners in this country. So, just as a wild guess maybe there's 300 million home owners world wide or something like that? Probably more, but it's a conservative estimate and makes the math easy. As I understand it, there were something like 3 million homes in the US that were affected by this issue, right?

So 1 percent of the homes in that case were at issue. So one percent of one single asset out of all the assets in the world. And that was enough to whack all these banks.

I mean doesn't that say something about the level of incompetence that these banks would have so many eggs in this one small basket that they couldn't ride out something like that? I can understand make Freddy since it specialized purely in that market I guess, but all these other banks? And just the greed and/incompetence that allowed all these institutions to get themselves into a situation where they had such little liquidity, when they are the institutions that are supposed to know how to manage their money.

OTOH though it would also seem that that means that other than this one immediate and specific issue, and the credit crunch it's created (and the panic that always occurs unfortunately), that the actual problem is relatively small in big picture terms. It's just that the people who provide the legitimate credit people need got themselves in trouble, causing an sharp and immediate issue in a specific industry, not in the business world as a whole. And that the issue for other businesses in the immediate term is access to credit, not that their business fundamentals were falling apart.

Not to be just utterly cynical, but how do the rich get a lot richer a lot faster? Bring the market down by a huge notch, wait for it to hit bottom, and buy up stuff like crazy, knowing perfectly well that it's not any sort of fundamental problem with most businesses, but a technical problem and it'll be back up soon enough (for the folk with the liquidity to wait.)

It's incredible how many banks and financial institutions were sucked in to buying debt from USA companies.

Which is another way of saying that many of your financial institutions are just as greedy and incompetent as many of ours.

• Members

At the moment, I've just completed doing some transfers for the band Sparks.

I love that band. Ron and Russell Mael have maintained a flourishing creative edge since the 60s. I still look forward to every new album they put out.

Archived