If You Like John Scofield

Magpel

• Members

As I do, so very well, please check of his most recent disk, This Meets That. It has moved me more than any Sco album since What We Do, probably.

Nothing groundbreaking. It's the same trio as En Route (Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart) but by comparison it is a downright poppy record, with a horn section deployed delightfully on a bunch of the tracks. I love Scofield as a melody writer as much as as a guitarist, and there are a lot of beauties on here. The standout, however, might be the ridiculously wicked cover of "House of the Rising Sun" with Bill Frissell.

Just sharing my moment of enthusiasm...

• Moderators

I just went over to his website. THANKS! Very cool sounding. I especially like the cover of Charlie Rich's Behind Closed Doors. He sounds like a cross between Floyd Crammer, Chet Atkins and Marc Ribot.

I always liked the way Scofield frets out his notes. He strikes the strings just a little too hard, or a least a certain way that makes it fret out. Normally this sounds hacky, but Scofield seems to use it as a color. Album sounds great.

• Members

Thanks for the heads up, I will check that one out. Interesting JC would cover Charlie Rich- I always thought he had alot of "country" to his sound.

It probably doesn't rate very high on the artsy fartsy scale, but I thoroughly enjoyed JC's collection of Ray Charles covers, "What I Say", with Larry Goldings on organ.

• Members

Lee, check out the track "Big Shoe." Scofield has always had a delightful touch with what you might call "folk jazz" and this...just awesome.

I couldn't find that one listed. Could it be "Shoe Dog"?

UPDATE:

I rather liked his "Rising Sun." I'd never warmed up to Scoffield because the album I have by him and most of what I've heard from him has had awful guitar FX like chorus/flange/some crap -- and in fact there are some somewhat obnoxious effects on these guitars but it's not nearly as bad as the CD I have. I can tolerate this. ("Shoe Dog" is a little more FXed up, unfortunately. I just don't understand why guys who can play guitar feel like they have to hide behind annoying gimmicks.)

Anyhow, his "Rising Sun" reminds me in a way of Gabor Szabo. In a similar bag is his "Satisfaction" (yeah, that "Satisfaction")... very 60's-like in approach and shameless cheeziness (if not in guitar tone)... very enjoyable in an instant-tiki-lounge kind of way. And the guy can sure play.

And, with the finish of those three mostly quite enjoyable if somewhat frenetic songs, I go back to the spacey, slightly distant coolness of Peter Green's In the Skies album, in the middle of which I inserted those very up-front-in-your-face Scoffield tracks. A real shift...

NEW UPDATE: Oh cripes and yipes! In the Skies just ended and Green's White Sky album (2005) came on and the very first thinig I heard on the rather squashed record (it's much louder than the Scoffield which was only a little louder than In the Skies) and the first guitar I hear has freakin' chorus all over it... Ah, Pete... please. And while you're at it -- try to soak up some of that reverb that's flooded your studio... reverb is great but not on everything... it sounds like Mixing 101, circa 1987.

• Members

That's funny, Blue. In his fusion days, Scofield used some processing, but since his first brilliant Blue Note jazz albums (Time on My Hand, Meant to Be, etc.) in the late '80s, he's been pretty dry, pretty much just using a RAT pedal with the distortion light and the tone knob set very dark. Then he DOES on occassion kick on a reall fugly flanger set so extreme it sounds like a toilet flushing. I though you would like the fact that he's tried to make a go with a voice so intentionally unstable and unattractive. He also uses a whammy pedal sometimes to play soprano solos, but that's it,. His "base tone" has had no modulation effects for about 20 years.

• Moderators

PS, it occurs to me that the FX'd guitar you are hearing in
House of the Rising Sun
might be the one in the left channel, which is the great Bill Frissell.

And Frissell sounds great on that.

Oh, and I really dig the stuff Scofield does at the very top of the first tune. Cool noisy fun.

• Members

I like the album, but didn't really like House of the Rising Sun, but maybe because I'm such a big Frisell fan my expectations set me up for a let down. I also don't really like that song very much in any setting.

Check out Scofield's Ray Charles album, That's What I Say. :thu: :thu:

• Members

KNTU (University of North Texas' jazz station) had House of the Rising Sun in heavy rotation when it first came out. I thought it was pretty cool. I'm a Scofield fan with my favorite albums being the more exploratory albums in the early 2000's. I'll have to give this a listen.

• Members

I'm a Scofield fan with my favorite albums being the more exploratory albums in the early 2000's.

Stuff like Uberjam? I saw Sco live around that time and didn't care for that as much as the more straight-ahead or straight funk type stuff. I'm so crusty I'm still waiting for him to release another Gramavision title. :D

• Members

Yes, I really like Uberjam and Up All Night. Perhaps it's just the Avi Bortnick collaboration I'm liking...

Of Course, his work in the 90's is great too. A Go Go and I Can See Your House From Here are great. Grace under Pressure and Hand Jive are good as well.

Archived