So I hooked my monitors up via SPDIF...

Phait

• Members

And no doubt about it, just playing an MP3 - if I select "output digital only", theres more bass response, or punch. That or it's just louder. If I select "output digital + analog", not as much.

I thought there wasn't supposed to be much difference? Got Edirol MA-10D monitors going to the PC's SPDIF in the back. Only problem is I can't control the volume with the wheel on my Logitech G11 keyboard. Someone with a G15 says they can control their SPDIF output. Granted, I have onboard sound (yes, I know, shame - hey I'm broke).. not sure if that's a culprit.

• CMS Author

Well, it's all in the D/A converters. If it sounds better than the analog output of the cheap sound card in your computer, that's not surprising. If it sounds better than the analog output of my Lynx L22 sound card, I'd be surprised indeed.

With anything like this, you have to ask which link in the chain is weakest, and if you can replace it with a stronger one, do it. But don't just assume that the D/A converters in the speakers are better than those in your sound card.

Archived