Stupid Mac Question: How To Format A USB Flash Drive?

ggm1960

• Members

The details of a tech support I started with MOTU are pasted in below but the jist is that I wanted to use a USB flash drive with Digital Performer 5 and was getting errors. As I'd suspected reformatting the device is supposed to fix the problem but of course I don't know how to do that or which format I should use, journaled or "unjournaled"?:confused:

Any insight or suggestions would be welcome.

System information

OS

Mac OS 10.4

OS version

CPU

2Ghz Intel Core Duo MacBookPro

RAM

2gig

Additional system info

A Hercules 16/12 is used as an audio/midi interface.

Additional information

Troubleshooting

Steps to reproduce

Details

I've only started using DP but I was hoping I'd be able to use a 16Gig USB flash drive I recently got for data saving/loading/recording/etc. but I'm getting an error message when trying to load or save a project to it. Could it be because of the flash drives formatting? It is FAT32 by default but I've used it frequently to copy/save/move files on my MBP.

Responses

Added by Joseph on 2008/10/09 10:47:31 GMT-5

State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'

Hi Greg,

You will need to reformat this drive to Mac OS Extended or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

• Members

Doesn't the flash drive come with an owner's manual citing compatibility, etc.? Is there a forum for the manufacturer of the USB drive?

I've never had to format one because they always plug and play. I use three USB drives with my OS9.2.2 Mac and my WinXP PC and have never had a problem

• Members

Now that I'm thinking of it, doesn't a computer typically ask if you if you want to format something if it doesn't initially recognize it?

OSX recognizes FAT32.

format as unjournaled, journaled adds write cycles which are limited on flash media

• Members

Good luck with this and let me know how it turns out. I tried this out in pro tools and couldn't (pro tools wouldn't let me change the drive from read only).

Hopefully I'll have some time to try it out before the week is over. Been very busy trying to get up to speed with one band while also starting up a second one.

Wasted a lot of time recently trying to get my HP all-in-ones scanner working again. The unit printed and photocopied just fine but scanning quit working.

Did everything imaginable like using HP's diagnostic programs, manually cleaning the registry and hard drive and re-installing software before it finally occurred to me to try swapping the USB cable.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived