Is Anyone Buying Gear?

Geoff Grace

• Members

I'm planning to get a new acoustic guitar next week.

The upside of the acoustic is that if the entire planet fails, I won't need an amp. :D

Depending on which end of my price range I end up selecting I may have some money left for some other accessories I'm eying, like an eBow and a stompbox compressor.

• Members

Was shopping for some new mains and subs. Not now.

Stuff I have bought in the last couple of weeks - MREs, energy bars in bulk, water storage containers, gas cans, beef jerky in bulk, cartons of toilet paper and paper towels, and ammo. Just in case.

I'd actually like to ditch some guitars, but am not willing to give them away, or sell them for a great deal less than I paid for them (and almost all I bought used.)

Tis hard times ahead, I believe.

Steve

• Members

The upside of the acoustic is that if the entire planet fails, I won't need an amp.
:D

:thu: Maybe I should go that way as well.

I am actually purchasing a rather spendy "boutique" guitar simply because I'd like to own one before I die and my brother's recent passing made me realize that could be any time now. However, I can pay for it without using credit of any kind.

I have been wondering if maybe I should hold off and take my 25% restocking fee loss and hold on to the rest of the money.

I'm also thinking of getting a Digitech Jamman because my old Radio Shack cassette recorder I use to lay down practice sessions is crapping out on me. Funny thing, but I worry more about spending $299 on a jamman than I do a bunch on a guitar. I think it has to do with perceived value.

• Members

I don't (and never have) tied gear buying to the economic issues of the nation. If I need gear, I get it. If I don't, I don't.

Illustrating the point, there have been plenty of times where I've felt very financially sound, and still didn't buy gear because I was happy with what I had. It's more about my needs as a musician.

Of course, if it came down to a choice between eating and a new guitar, I'd eat. I can live with whatever gear I have at the moment. But I can't eat guitars. Mahogany gets stuck in my teeth, and pickups give me indigestion.

• Members

I want a new mini guitar rig. I have an ADA MP1. I want to buy a rack-mount, low wattage tube power amp (Mesa 20/20?). I'm also thinking about the TC electronics G-system, and a pair of 2-12 cabs...now that I look at it in writing, it doesn't seem quite so mini! I just have to find stores with the Mesa 20/20 and G-sytem in stock so I can hear them.

• Members

In an economy like this, cash is king... at least on a minute to minute basis.

But I'm a cork bobbing on the waters of the general economy... as much as I'd like to be snapping up distress-sale guitars and foreclosed houses... I'm just looking to get across this trough to the next swell...

• Members

In the next few months, I'm replacing my ancient Mac that blue2blue likes to ridicule (
;)
)with a new computer. I've purchased a couple of small odds and ends already. If I need something and I have the money, I'll still get it.

Whoa, there cowboy... I admire the kind of guy who can milk a single computer for a decade or more...

... that said...

• Members

I bought a generator and a bunch of surplus fuel cans. I already have plenty of soup, beans, water, butane, propane and other essentials. If they're not needed for bad times they'll be used for tailgating. Hail to the Redskins!!! :D

• Members

Whoa, there cowboy... I
admire
the kind of guy who can milk a single computer for a decade or more...

that said...

I don't like upgrading, updating, doing all those things. I want to sit down and create. If it works, it works. But there's a point of no return, and I've hit it. I need a faster computer, and I need stuff that's more modern now. That this happens to be during an economic meltdown is besides the point! :D

• Members

I've been restraining myself quite a bit already, having bought a house around this time last year, but I needed to pick up an inexpensive seven-string guitar for a new project, and a couple of small items for my home studio. I tend to find specific pieces of gear that I really like and then buy every one of them that turns up, which is a bit of a curse since one of my favorite guitar models is up on eBay as we speak for quite cheap.

Generally speaking though, I'm taking it easy on the spending. With winter coming, and me not being much of an outdoorsman, I can keep myself occupied inside with things that I already own. With the economy tanking, I look at it as yet another opportunity to spend time learning how to use things I've acquired over the past year . . . and enjoy what I already have.

If I need it, and it will make me money, I'll get it, but considering I just spent a ton of money upgrading stuff over the course of the last year, I don't see many large ticket purchases in the immediate future.

One thing I did add in the last month was a new Kurzweil SP2X to replace my aging Fatar Studio 90 - I really like it a lot. :phil:

Archived