Amusing things you made as a kid

Phait

• Members

I managed to find the F@#$ing awesome tree branch in the shape of a slingshot (you know Y shape). I then took 2 pieces of elastic and tied them to this piece of leather for the sling. It was so great, I actually could take out glass bottles with it (and did :lol:).

• Members

Around ten years old, I had two cassette tape recorders, and was making funny interviews in which I'd ask a question, and then the person would "answer" from a line from a song (I'd play back a part of a song with an answer that would be completely silly but would answer the question). This was not unlike "Welcome to the LBJ Ranch", an LP that my father had that did this very same thing. I wish I had these still, but they burned up in a housefire I had two and a half years ago.

• Moderators

I wrote a letter. When I was 8, I was telling my mom and our neighbor how yucky girls were. "Oh yeah? Really... well you won't think that in a couple of years." This was 1967. White, middle class suburbia. My Mom was probably thinking, "I HOPE he doesn't think that in a couple years." Not that there's anything wrong with it you know.

So they offered up a pen and paper and asked me to write it down. I got descriptive. Girls were indeed yucky and I would never feel different.

Every girl I've ever brought to meet the family over the years, she has had the joy of reading my rant. And the funny thing is it always embarrassed me. You'd think I would roll my eyes and "whatever". But no, I get all red faced and defensive. Just like they planned it years ago.

Today I have a healthy interest in women. Know what I mean?

Now my daughter still thinks I don't know she likes boys. Boys are yucky ya know. "Boys are ok but not like that." Really? Even Jacob? Silence...

• Members

I grew up in the 1950's when my dad used to drive us out to the arirport to watch the planes take off and land. Talk about cheap thrills.

My brothers and I used to take 3 and 4 foot lengths of 2X4's and nail them together to make airplane shapes that we would decorate with crayons then run around with them having fake dogfights.

• Members

My Mom was probably thinking, "I HOPE he doesn't think that in a couple years."

HAW! :)

Every girl I've ever brought to meet the family over the years, she has had the joy of reading my rant.

Were any of these girls yucky? Tell the truth...

When I was a kid, I was big on making promises to myself.

I can remember vowing to own a purple corvette exactly like this one (never did):

1976_Chev_Corvette.jpeg

And a TR7. (never did)

• Members

I wrote a few spy short stories and submitted one or two of them to a suspense pulp or two during 9th-10th grade. (I think I might have a rejection slip buried somewhere.) It was my goal to write a moderate selling spy novel, hopefully earning enough to buy an MGB/GT, which, at the time, could be had for $3200. I was pretty chunky in junior high and my first year of HS and I figured I'd need a cool car if I wanted to have a decent dust jacket photo and every have a chance of meeting a girl.

I never wrote the spy novel but lost about 40 pounds and eventually met a lot of girls. I was more than happy with the trade-off. ;)

And the sister and brother-in-law of one of my GFs (a pretty, very smart rich girl who was a double E-ticket thrill ride) 'loaned' me their MGB a few years after college while they were living in Catalina... so I had at least a taste of that good life. (And I got to stay at the family triplex in Avalon w/ the GF a number of times... it wasn't quite my dreams... but it wasn't bad... while it lasted. ;) )

• Members

I wrote a few spy short stories and submitted one or two of them to a suspense pulp or two during 9th-10th grade.

I went to high school with a fellow who started writing plays in about the 8-9th grade or so. I met him when I moved to Minnesota in my Junior year and he became a fairly good friend. We were on the bowling team together and used to play whiffle ball in his back yard. He continued developing his writing skills through high school and college. Now, many years later he has a Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Blessing and many awards for his writing. http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2002-10-17/theater.shtml

I started following the stock market at about age 12 and always thought that I would be a broker, until I got a job in the back office of a brokerage company and saw what those people go through in a market turn down. I didn't want it on my mind if I would lose someone's life savings due to decisions that I made. I got "downsized" in 1973, went to a trade school and then started a studio. I enjoyed the studio and pro audio business much more than the stock market. Besides, I could still lose my own money in the market, something that I have become quite good at. :(

• Members

Around ten years old, I had two cassette tape recorders, and was making funny interviews in which I'd ask a question, and then the person would "answer" from a line from a song (I'd play back a part of a song with an answer that would be completely silly but would answer the question). This was not unlike "Welcome to the LBJ Ranch", an LP that my father had that did this very same thing. I wish I had these still, but they burned up in a housefire I had two and a half years ago.

Might be Dickie Goodman? (your father's record - not yours, of course.)

• Members

I went to high school with a fellow who started writing plays in about the 8-9th grade or so. I met him when I moved to Minnesota in my Junior year and he became a fairly good friend. We were on the bowling team together and used to play whiffle ball in his back yard. He continued developing his writing skills through high school and college. Now, many years later he has a Wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Blessing
and many awards for his writing.
http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2002-10-17/theater.shtml

I started following the stock market at about age 12 and always thought that I would be a broker, until I got a job in the back office of a brokerage company and saw what those people go through in a market turn down. I didn't want it on my mind if I would lose someone's life savings due to decisions that I made. I got "downsized" in 1973, went to a trade school and then started a studio. I enjoyed the studio and pro audio business much more than the stock market. Besides, I could still lose my own money in the market, something that I have become quite good at.
:(

Nominated for a Tony and a Pulitzer... not bad! ;)

Long as we're talking school friends...

In 9th grade I became acquainted with a kid who had written a 63 page novella about a WWI flying ace. We became friends in high school and then he ended up rooming with a couple of my best pals when they were in law school and he had just gotten into the USC film program. He worked around the industry for years without too much notoriety, but he worked his way up to writing some scripts for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and then he hooked up with an improbable 70s sci-fi cable channel revisiting and he ended up as a writer for and finally as supervising producer for Battlestar Gallactica.

In high school I was in the tennis club for a while and became friends with this guy, who I was matched with on the courts a few times. He ended up winning a Hugo and a couple of Nebulas (both a pretty big deal in sci-fi).

Me... I got a blog. ;)

• Members

Might be
Dickie Goodman
? (your father's record - not yours, of course.)

I'm not familiar with Dickie Goodman, unfortunately.

It was this album, which my brother and I used to listen to when we were kids:

http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2006/11/welcome-to-lbj-ranch-robin-doud-comedy.html

lbjranch%20front.jpg

This inspired us to create utter mayhem, recording "interviews" with people in the neighborhood. Soon we got other people around the neighborhood to lampoon others too. An odd thing to do when you are in 4th Grade, to be sure, but for a summer, it was a lot of fun.

• Members

This inspired us to create utter mayhem, recording "interviews" with people in the neighborhood. Soon we got other people around the neighborhood to lampoon others too. An odd thing to do when you are in 4th Grade, to be sure, but for a summer, it was a lot of fun.

thanks! The Goodman schtick was a question answered by a clip from a song.

• Members

I managed to find the F@#$ing awesome tree branch in the shape of a slingshot (you know Y shape). I then took 2 pieces of elastic and tied them to this piece of leather for the sling. It was so great, I actually could take out glass bottles with it (and did
:lol:
).

We were big on slingshots, too.

Made ours out of coat hangers and used to shoot "U" nails.

I once shot one that went into my finger, sticking through the other side of the diget like I stuck myself with a shiv!

Coat hangers were also good for making other cool kid things...like Fart Machines!

You would take a coat hanger, bend it into a squared-off "U," bend the two ends into little eye hooks, take a washer and loop 2 thick elastic bands through it on opposite sides, similar to a pocket on a slingshot, connect the two open-ended loops to the eye hooks on the coat hanger, wind the washer up like a propeller on a balsa wood airplane, place a book (like a spelling book) under your ass, place the "machine" under your ass and on top of the book, fully loaded.

At the opportune time, as in class with the teacher's back turned, you would lift up your ass a bit so the washer could spin rapidly, creating a very effective and life-like sound effect Hollywood techs would be proud of!

Teachers would often open up the window!

Worked great in the Capital Theatre in Belleville, NJ, at Saturday afternoon matinees (like the Japanese Monster Movies {Rodan, Godzilla, etc.}) and the like, without the book as they had those sound augmenting vinyl-covered seats. Too cool when you were a kid!

• Members

Might be
Dickie Goodman
? (your father's record - not yours, of course.)

His first song, "The Flying Saucer," was co-written with partner Bill Buchanan, and featured a description of a news-covered invasion of earth from a Martian space ship. While Goodman asked questions of pedestrians, scientists, and even the Martian himself, their responses were "snipped" from lyrics of popular songs of the day, including tracks from Fats Domino, Elvis Presley and Little Richard.

I hate to date myself, but I remember when this came out. :lol: Even as a seven year old at the time I thought it was quite fascinating and wondered how he did that.

• Members

We were big on slingshots, too.

Made ours out of coat hangers and used to shoot "U" nails.

I once shot one that went into my finger, sticking through the other side of the diget like I stuck myself with a shiv!

Coat hangers were also good for making other cool kid things...like Fart Machines!

You would take a coat hanger, bend it into a squared-off "U," bend the two ends into little eye hooks, take a washer and loop 2 thick elastic bands through it on opposite sides, similar to a pocket on a slingshot, connect the two open-ended loops to the eye hooks on the coat hanger, wind the washer up like a propeller on a balsa wood airplane, place a book (like a spelling book) under your ass, place the "machine" under your ass and on top of the book, fully loaded.

At the opportune time, as in class with the teacher's back turned, you would lift up your ass a bit so the washer could spin rapidly, creating a very effective and life-like sound effect Hollywood techs would be proud of!

Teachers would often open up the window!

Worked great in the Capital Theatre in Belleville, NJ, at Saturday afternoon matinees (like the Japanese Monster Movies {Rodan, Godzilla, etc.}) and the like, without the book as they had those sound augmenting vinyl-covered seats. Too cool when you were a kid!

{censored}e man, that's hilarious!

• Members

His first song, "The Flying Saucer," was co-written with partner Bill Buchanan, and featured a description of a news-covered invasion of earth from a Martian space ship. While Goodman asked questions of pedestrians, scientists, and even the Martian himself, their responses were "snipped" from lyrics of popular songs of the day, including tracks from Fats Domino, Elvis Presley and Little Richard.

Interesting, so that's the precursor to Weird Al's "celebrity" interviews of the 80's. Very interesting.

• Members

Oh my! I used to do exactly the same thing! I think they used to have stuff like that on the radio - which what inspired me... no idea whatever happened to the tapes...

• Moderators

I dug a tunnel to China!! Or Australia, I'm not sure. We were pretty convinced we could do it in the "vacant lot" at the end of the block. 5 guys with shovels. No one lost a toe amazingly. I'm going to let the truth out for the first time. We didn't break through. But...

...we created a great place to hide acquired Playboys and Penthouses. And... we built a bike ramp at the edge for hot dogging. I went first and smashed my nuts on my handle bars when I didn't clear the other side. MY NUTS!!

• Members

Oh my! I used to do exactly the same thing! I think they used to have stuff like that on the radio - which what inspired me... no idea whatever happened to the tapes...

I had a lot of these tapes, but we had a really bad housefire two and a half years ago, and I'm pretty sure that they went up in flames.

I also had some cassettes of this fake radio station , KBOR 95.4 FM, that my friends and I made in high school. We'd make fake commercials, too many "tests" of the Emergency Broadcast System, fake concert commercials and announcements with extremely unlikely music artists playing together, and then bizarre selections of music that would never be played on even the most adventurous open station, going from "Meher Booba" (Bollywood) to hard rock to John Coltrane to fusion to New Wave without batting an eyelash. We'd crank this really loud at the beach for unsuspecting friends and people sitting around us. You could occasionally see people writing down the concert information or looking very perplexed....and the unsuspecting friends who came with us....wow, were they confused.

• Members

http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2006/11/welcome-to-lbj-ranch-robin-doud-comedy.html

lbjranch%20front.jpg

I got a little battery powered tape recorder for Christmas in 4th or 5th grade (super primitive -- a permanent magnet on a lever for an erase head and no capstan -- just a 'pull through' tape drive) and I did all that stuff -- as well as bugging rooms with the hidden tape recorder which got one of those long lectures about ethics and privacy, yadda yadda yadda sure dad... but it made sense (I think it was when he said, how would you like it if I bugged your room?) so I stopped that avenue of entertainment (damn fun while it lasted).

The pop song interview answer thing was -- I dunno if 'big' was the right word but -- on the a.m. drive radio a lot. So I did that, too. A little later I liked to do 'spy spoofs'... dumb ass little radio play things.

When they started shooting guys into space I used the big cardboard box our stripped down color TV (second on the block, yo!) [or maybe it was a washing machine box or something -- it's hazy] that my dad got wholesle (no wonder it looked like a motel TV) and made my own 'space capsule' -- using the $1.50 mic from my tape recorder (I had to buy a replacement after a while ) for the communications -- I plugged it into a jack in the control panel -- a hole I pushed through in the cardboard amidst the magic markered dials and playing back a 'sound FX' tape for the count down, lift off, etc. I did the FX myself, mouth-to-mic... on the TV, liftoff always sounded so distorted, anyhow, my tape wasn't too far off.

MyFirstTapeRecorder-150.jpg

Archived