So how does recording goes missing - end up on the internet.

audioicon

• Members

Just curious, I could make a conclusion myself or Google it but I rather have a virtual conversation.

How does this happen? How does a song or an entire album end up on the internet with out the knowledge of the artist of label?

You hear this all the time, from Usher to Guns and Roses, people go to the studio and then their material disappeared and ends up on the internet or forum/blogs?

Are the engineers/producers selling the music? Or is it the "tag" along buddy?

AI

• Members

I would imagine it's just about everybody involved. Mainly managers, promo people, record execs, etc...I don't think engineers or producers have anything to gain. It hurts them, too.

So that's leaves record industry people, janitors, hackers, and anybody else that would/could get access to those files. And that's the problem: files.

Way too easy to distribute these days. Good for me, bad for them.

• Members

Notice how record industry people and janitors seem to go together? ;)

No offense to hackers or other low paid workers. I don't endorse any sort of class warfare.

Treating people like scum just because they work for a record label is prejudice. Just because there are scum doesn't mean we should look down on them. Lower life forms need love, too. To repeat accusations of shady dealings, ripping off artists, turning artists into drug addicted zombies, or insinuating that they encouraged suicide/overdose to sell millions more records (dead artists sell more records), that would just be inflammatory. I don't think accusing the record people of sabotage would be based in fact, just gross speculation. To assume they were too busy trying to procure drugs for the artist and wouldn't have had time to pirate the album would probably be prejudiced, too...but, possibly accurate from a prejudiced point of view.

;)

• Members

One of legendary hacker Kevin Mitnick's favorite tricks was to dress up as a janitor to gain access to some high tech building and then start looking under desks and drawers and -- this was more than a couple years ago -- looking on those slide out shelves a lot of old fashioned desks used to have for typewriters. He said you'd really be surprised just how many people scotch-taped their password on a slip of paper under something on their desk. The typewriter slide-out was one he mentioned specifically.

It's like the say in the mysteries... the janitor did it.

• Members

One of legendary hacker Kevin Mitnick's favorite tricks was to dress up as a janitor to gain access to some high tech building and then start looking under desks and drawers and -- this was more than a couple years ago -- looking on those slide out shelves a lot of old fashioned desks used to have for typewriters. He said you'd really be surprised just how many people scotch-taped their password on a slip of paper
under
something on their desk. The typewriter slide-out was one he mentioned specifically.

It's like the say in the mysteries...
the janitor did it.

So how do you prevent this kind of scams?

Do you open everyone's butt cheeks after the session?

AI

• Members

One of legendary hacker Kevin Mitnick's favorite tricks was to dress up as a janitor to gain access to some high tech building and then start looking under desks and drawers and -- this was more than a couple years ago -- looking on those slide out shelves a lot of old fashioned desks used to have for typewriters. He said you'd really be surprised just how many people scotch-taped their password on a slip of paper
under
something on their desk. The typewriter slide-out was one he mentioned specifically.

It's like the say in the mysteries...
the janitor did it.

Wow. Who knew the hacker and the janitor were the same guy?! That explains a lot.

Archived