10 Years From Now, AutoTune vocals...

scud133

• Members

10 years from now, AutoTune vocals will be just as lame as 80s drums were in the 90s.

It's going mainstream, everyone from Britney Spears to Snoop Dogg are using it as an effect --- but eventually it will get old.

That day can only come soon enough :cop:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As an effect, it's one thing.

But when it's in a genre (like, oh, say, country or bluegrass) where obvious robo-tuning is inappropriate, you have to assume that the tin-ears that let some of this stuff out of the mixing suite simply can't hear it -- or are deluded into thinking others can't -- or they simply flat-ass don't care.

• Members

10 years from now, AutoTune vocals will be just as lame as 80s drums were in the 90s.

It's going mainstream, everyone from Britney Spears to Snoop Dogg are using it as an effect --- but eventually it will get old.

That day can only come soon enough
:cop:

Going mainstream? It's already been mainstream for at least 10 years. Cher's breakthrough was 1998.

Anyone see Kanye West on TV last night? He seriously cannot sing. The verses were untuned...yikes...then the chorus was all warblified and on pitch. But he is huge...the crowd knew every line. He's a massive grammy winning superstar.

Pop music is/was/will always be a sucky cheeseball affair.....

• Members

Going mainstream? It's already been mainstream for at least 10 years. Cher's breakthrough was 1998.

Anyone see Kanye West on TV last night? He seriously cannot sing. The verses were untuned...yikes...then the chorus was all warblified and on pitch. But he is huge...the crowd knew every line. He's a massive grammy winning superstar.

Pop music is/was/will always be a sucky cheeseball affair.....

Cher did it in 1998 but it wasn't popular as an effect until T-Pain hit the scene. My point is, it's now entered mainstream consciousness. When I started hearing non-musician friends talking about that "cool voice effect" (:facepalm:) that's when I knew...

• Members

I hate it as an effect but if someone uses it that way it doesn't offend my sensibilities as much as my ear. And who am I to say that they shouldn't use it that way? I hate phase shifters and choruses on guitar and gated toms and... Well, I'm just a crotchety old man who knows how the bones are buried but wishes they'd stay off my lawn when they're burying them.

But what drives me nuts is when there are distinct artifacts in a song where it's clear from most of the vocal that it's supposed to be flying under the radar. It just seems so slipshod and incompetent.

Melodyne appears to be much more subtle but then people use it on a whole vocal in genres (like the aforementioned country and bluegrass) where its clearly not being used as an effect but rather as a fix where they apparently couldn't be bothered to go through the vocal a phrase at a time and properly use it where appropriate and hand tinker it in, it is still really annoying and really irritating.

• Members

Cher did it in 1998 but it wasn't popular as an effect until T-Pain hit the scene. My point is, it's now entered mainstream consciousness. When I started hearing non-musician friends talking about that "cool voice effect" (
:facepalm:
) that's when I knew...

Might be more of an age/subculture thing

In my groupings it's "that Cher effect" -- yup,including non musicians

you descirbe the effect and they almost invariably go

"Do YOu BeLieVe iN LiFE AFtEr LoVE"

I've never even heard of T-pain :idk:

• Members

Cher did it in 1998 but it wasn't popular as an effect until T-Pain hit the scene. My point is, it's now entered mainstream consciousness. When I started hearing non-musician friends talking about that "cool voice effect" (
) that's when I knew...

What took everybody so long?

Or maybe now it's nostalgia for that vintage golden late 90s era.

• Members

Might be more of an age/subculture thing

In my groupings it's "that Cher effect" -- yup,including non musicians

you descirbe the effect and they almost invariably go

"Do YOu BeLieVe iN LiFE AFtEr LoVE"

I've never even heard of T-pain
:idk:

T-Pain is the guy that gets featured on every major pop song adding his cher-effect voice to the chorus. Just about any song that hits #1 these days is "Blah Blah by That Artist ft. T-Pain"

• Members

) that's when I knew...

Cher did it in (98 and Kid Rock had a hit with it as an effect the same year (Only God knows Why). Li'l Wayne is doing it the same way right now - just like T-Pain did. It has been around as an effect for at least ten years and the trend seems to be in no danger of dying down.

Which is too bad in my opinion.

• Members

"....Kid Rock had a hit with it as an effect the same year (Only God knows Why)..."

God had nothing to do with it....

It was people.....Lot's of 'em.

They liked what they heard so they bought the song.

Same with his latest one(All Summer Long).

A huge hit.... many people really like it.

If you don't know why you're missing the point.

• Members

nah i think yall are missing my point. a *few* people used it way back in 1998.

But the last year or two it has really exploded as a popular effect. If you turn on any top 40 radio station, you are guaranteed to hear autotune as an effect at some point before you turn the radio off. It was *not* that way when cher used it in 1998.

• Members

According to the Boston Herald, "Country stars Reba McEntire, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw have all confessed to using Auto-Tune in performance, claiming it is a safety net that guarantees ticket buyers a good performance."

That is so sad. But country music and R&B use it on pretty much every record so I guess you can't sound like the record without it.

Again; that is pretty sad.

Archived