Are record reviews obsolete?

nwtsnma

• Members

Reviews are great if you are making money writing them... As for reading them, it's just a time sink for me. I have other stuff to do.

Equal time comment: I do read the CD reviews in Tape Op, because I do find interesting new (and old) artists there that I haven't heard of before. But, as for mainstream media, blaah... I don't need to read about the latest crap music Best Buy is trying to foist off on the public.

• Members

I like those record liner notes that one used to to get on albums in the 60's, invariably written by some NYC smarty-pants. My favorite ones were those written in ultra-hipster-bebop-speak, like the ones for Nancy Sinatra's or Lulu's albums.

Things like:

A hard rain's gonna fall, but it won't be on Nancy. Yesterday's laughing face has grown up, Mr. Saturday Evening Post, and she's just made for motorcycles, moonbeams, lollipops... and love. A kitten's purr that could melt a Frigidaire, smoke rings for the windmills of your mind, babe. She can take you or leave you, sport, and frug or watusi you into submission. Or not. While Squaresville compares Studebakers, Nancy is tripping down SoHo. Or Chelsea. She sees tomorrow, you know, in those aquamarine peepers of hers, in all its electric Kool Aid plastic inevitable wonderment, and maybe she'll let you tag along. Music for the Hep and Hep at Heart are what she purveys, and Nowsville is her time and space. Agesters to youngsters dig her beat and we wager you will, too.

• Members

Top-notch record reviews wanted here.

What I don't have time for is going through 1,000 new release 30-second listens on Amazon or Lastfm or wherever in order to find interesting new stuff.

I particularly miss Jim Aikin's reviews from bygone days of Keyboard. Funny, very condensed insights, no spam, extremely wide music sensibility, smart, well -written.

All the things the internet-firehose-spaminator-opinionator lacks.

Ain't progress great?

nat whilk ii

• Members

I read the ones in SOS because I find them amusing....not because I care what they say. I have my own taste and often like or dislike movies that have been slammed or loved by reviewers....same with music. Plus, like Rasputin, I like the language. Ever read the description of a wine?-- a clear refreshing taste like sunshine?!? Same thing with music reviews ... I have no idea what the reviewer is trying to tell me most of the time. What really cracks me up the most is that a lot of reviewers take themselves seriously. C'mon on..... this is a CHOICE and a matter of personal taste!!

• Members

For me, the reviews from David Fricke in Rolling Stone, the Aquarius Music reviews on their website (along with the music samples), Tape Op, and The Wire are some of the most interesting and useful reviews. Most of your tastes are a bit different from mine although there's considerable overlap, but if you like adventurous music and a lot of world music and other stuff, then these might be of some interest to you.

Archived