Jaw Harps and strange physics

Jimbroni

• Members

Or atleast bizarre eyeballs.

So I'm sitting in the control room today, retracking xylophones. In between takes I sometimes fiddle with the jaw harp that sits in my pencil drawer. Whenever I do this and look at my computer screen, the screen flickers like the Vhold is going bad. I always attribute this to my eyeballs must vibrating due to the Jaw harp. Well I recently replaced one of my old monitors with an LCD because it just bad. I used to have two CRT monitors, now one LCD and one CRT.

What I noticed is the CRT still flickers, but the LCD doesn't.

What gives with that? Kind of a weird thing to ponder, but I don't get it.

• Members

I've seen something like this before. What's happening is that the fluid in your eyeballs are vibrating, which modulates your vision. Since CRTs use a scanning system to light the screen, drawing 30 frames a second, the vibrations in your eyes interact with that frequency to break up the picture you see.

I saw this before in a lab I worked at... This older fellow, named Eulos, heard somebody say something he thought ridiculous, so he did a 'raspberry' with his lips. The display on the (CRT) oscilloscope he was looking at did the same thing - - it broke up into a lot of random lines. He was so fascinated with it, he kept on doing it, walking around the lab and watching the screen from different angles. He thought his buzzing lips were somehow interfering with the display circuitry... finally, he was out in the hallway, grabbing people who walked by and asking them to watch the screen while he made more lip-farting noises. Since their lips weren't buzzing, they couldn't see the same thing. One guy he grabbed got pretty frightened of him, convinced the old guy had lost his mind. The rest of us couldn't stop laughing long enough to tell him what was happening... Another entertaining day at work ;)

• Moderators

Yes! I been meaning to post this but never remembered. I used to work the control room of a call center. 200 agents speaking on the telephone in front of CRTs back then. So I'm standing on a raised central deck overlooking the whole floor. I'm eating and my teeth pop something hard and....

flip. All 200 monitors. Flip. I had everyone clicking their teeth together to prove I wasn't nuts. One guy scared the crap out of himself seeing it. It actually scared him the first time.

So it's the liquid in you eyes. I figured it would have something to do with interupting the nerve signal. Yours sounds more likely.

• Members

This is absolutely and incontivertably the most interesting thing I have ever read on this site. I play jews harp for fun, but I've never gotten...anamolies out of it. I have noticed that lights on rechargers are not constant, but flickering. You only notice when you look away or scan past them. I am familiar with the concept that motion pictures and video are simply still images that pass at such a frequancy that the brain only interprets them as being in motion... Wow. Another way to see that reality percieved is not reality actual. Seriously, this is a buzz.

Archived