Better drummer than politician?

D Charles

• Members

Interesting term, "Blinky" - - That's one of the pre-eminent body language signs of a basically honest person lying. 'Nuff said.

Well, it just reminded me of John Edwards in one of his last Dem debates. :idea:

But it was way obvious with the Repub John in this last debate, and no one's mentioned it in the news.

Anyway, he kicks on the skins. ;)

• Members

Yeah... blinky... I knew right away who ya meant... I can't shake the sight of those two extended moments when McC sat there blinking out his disbelief in what I can only guess was Morse code.

As I said elsewhere, he looked like a barn owl when someone throws open the door and lets the sunlight in.

An exceedingly odd moment.

This has been an exceptionally difficult campaign for me. In 2000, I was a supporter and contributor of McC. As recently as this spring I remember remarking out loud something to the effect that at least this will be a clean, decent campaign about the issues.

Yep. A very difficult campaign for me.

• Members

Yeah... blinky... I knew right away who ya meant... I can't shake the sight of those two extended moments when McC sat there blinking out his disbelief in what I can only guess was Morse code.

As I said elsewhere, he looked like a barn owl when someone throws open the door and lets the sunlight in.

An
exceedingly
odd moment.

This has been an exceptionally difficult campaign for me. In 2000, I was a supporter and contributor of McC. As recently as this spring I remember remarking out loud something to the effect that at least this will be a clean, decent campaign about the issues.

Yep. A very difficult campaign for me.

i'm right there with you. I honestly thought the mudslinging would be very minimal. McCain has usually been a straight issues guy, Obama is pretty much a straight issues guy. However, I think these guys are just succumbing to the pressure, of their bases especially McCain. Everybody wants him to attack, and it seems he lost total control of his campaign. See I think McCain has fallen into the trap of going from a representative to someone who has to be the leader. And as result, he has chosen the path of pandering to all the different groups rather sticking to his own ideals. Obama on the other hand has been consistent, and people are coming around to his ideals. Though he hasn't been exactly clean on the attack front either. I dunno I expected this be a clean fight, but its the same as it ever was. Maybe worse.

• Members

Interesting term, "Blinky" - - That's one of the pre-eminent body language signs of a basically honest person lying. 'Nuff said.

More commonly associated with dry eyes.

Seriously... don't try this body language stuff at home. We all have different gaze lengths before blinking. You must first observe what is normal for the individual before you decide if they're blinking " Too much" or staring

• Members

I thought the two extended moments of blinking was quite conscious on his part... I thought it was supposed to telegraph utter disbelief.

That is... if it wasn't Morse code. I'm not completely convinced it wasn't. I mean, let's not forget the man's grandfather and father were both admirals... he was raised in sea lore. His brother Joe is still an avid sailor.

I never got any good at Morse code or I'd be tempted to go back and seek out those sections just to see.

back to Jimbroni

I think Obama has definitely been a lot better on the attack front -- but I do find the endless message repetition from both of them rather insulting. And, honest to gosh, while McCain and his campaign have been exposed over and over again at FactCheck as being "less than truthful" as that organization likes to call it -- it has driven me crazy to see Obama in there, too... he doesn't need to exaggerate, it seems to me, and even if it's relatively small time compared to McCain, I don't want to see the guy I end up voting for doing any mischaracterizing, exaggerating, or anything but being really truthful. That said, it's not going to be hard for me to make a choice. And -- sorry Stranger, it won't be Nader. I still blame him for 2000. Mature political entities form coalitions. They don't pout and act as spoilers -- look at the damage that was done!

• Members

I think the example that leaves me shaking my head the most was the troopergate report saying Palin did nothing technically illegal (she has the right to hire and fire), but did abuse power and did violate the government's ethical standards (e.g., no using the office for personal reasons)...whereupon she stated how the report exonerated her completely from doing anything illegal (true) as well as anything unethical (total, 100%, verifiable, "you're-so-stupid-you-won't-even-catch-this" lie). That's just downright insulting to lie on that level of blatantness. Sure, this campaign has seen lots of twisting of words (McCain never proposed having the Iraqi war continue for 100 years), but Palin takes the cake for a total insult to anyone who actually read what the report said.

• Members

To prove my relative non-partisan nature, if you want to see severe blinking (so severe, I suspect it may be some medical condition), look at our lovely Nancy Pelosi. She blinks about 19 times per second. If she blinked any faster, she might be able to achieve lift-off on eyelid power alone.

That is... if it wasn't Morse code. I'm not completely convinced it wasn't. I mean, let's not forget the man's grandfather and father were both admirals... he was raised in sea lore. His brother Joe is still an avid sailor.

McCain himself is a retired USN captain, and US Naval Academy graduate. IOW, a Sailor. Swabbie. Squid.

Archived