Chet Baker Sings

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Oh man... I haven't heard this album in such a long time. I've got a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket and it hits me. Chet Baker.

For those of you unaware, Chet Baker was a West Coast trumpeter in the 50's and 60's. Part of the cool jazz scene. Think, Kind of Blue by Miles. Now add a touch of melancholy and soften the attack. Then... make the setting sunny California. You should be happy... but you're not quite. And that sadness has a beauty to it. Disillusioned even. That's Chet Baker. He had James Dean good looks but later died a spent, sad junkie. 20 years ago or so. Well documented in the fabulous film Let's Get Lost.

The thing is, though he is one of my favorite trumpet players, he's also one of my favorite vocalists. His version of every standard on this album, is the standard. Easy to listen to, yet deep with complex and very real emotion. My Funny Valentine. The Gershwin's But Not For Me. And the achingly beautiful Look For the Silver Lining. This album is perfect. Really. Stay in bed Sunday morning with you SO, the paper, a coffee, and Chet Baker Sings.

I love this album.

When he sings, "Stay little valentine... stay." That pause is so real. He moves me, man.

So, if you've been wanting something different, something unique, and something of outstanding quality, may I recommend Chet Baker Sings.

• Members

Long have been, generally, aware of Baker as a jazz figeure.

Didn't know he sang.

One confesses that it would be nice to know what Miles, or others sounded like as vocalists, esp considering what it's like just to type accurately...

Why's CB more important than Mel Torme or Ella (laugh if you want but Torme"s a very skilled vocalist!!!)

• Moderators

Why's CB more important than Mel Torme or Ella (laugh if you want but Torme"s a very skilled vocalist!!!)

I don't think he's more important, I just dig him. And funny you should mention Torme. Baker sounds a little like him minus the vibrato. I just love hearing a singer of standards who really knows music. Baker surely does, as did Torme. Sarah Vaughn, Ellla. All had a deep understanding of music. They're a lot of fun to listen to because of that.

• Members

I think I recall now. You and your dad were walking by his place in Amsterdam and he played happy birthday for you? Is that right?

My dad took me to Amsterdam Centre ,..to Chet's Hotel just to show me where a legend resided and Chet was there sitting in a window playing and singing My funny Valentine for me and my dad and a few other people who passed by,.......

Awesome memory!!

• Members

Let's Get Lost was never released on DVD was it, Lee?

I saw a rough cut of what had to be Let's Get Lost but I under the impression that it was going to be released as one of the Eastwood funded jazz bios. Looking at the credits over on imdb, I think they must have passed on it. It certainly was a disturbing movie. I saw the movie at a screening with a guy I used to work with who is now an 85 year old trumpet player who is still playing out. Oh how he hated Chet's watery tone. Oh how he hated his intonation. I kind of wondered if all trumpet players hate Chet Baker.

• Moderators

Let's Get Lost was never released on DVD was it, Lee?

I saw a rough cut of what had to be
Let's Get Lost
but I under the impression that it was going to be released as one of the Eastwood funded jazz bios. Looking at the credits over on imdb, I think they must have passed on it. It certainly was a disturbing movie. I saw the movie at a screening with a guy I used to work with who is now an 85 year old trumpet player who is still playing out. Oh how he hated Chet's watery tone. Oh how he hated his intonation. I kind of wondered if all trumpet players hate Chet Baker.

I don't know if Let's Get Lost went to DVD. I saw in its 1st run just after you saw it I guess. Do trumpet players hate him? I wasn't aware of that. I know a lot of very good singers who love his playing. His singing seemed to inform his playing and likewise the other way around.

• Members

OK, nw I get it, sorta...Tell me though, whats better Chet's singing or his trpt playing...?

Is he more expressive delivering direct lyric stroies or more reflective/less precise musical stoies.

Also, for those like me who don't have the details, are there examples of him performing the same material ?

• Members

Chet Baker Sings is a great collection. I've discovered and fallen in love with many standards thanks to that album. Another I'd recommend is 'It Could Happen To You' (with a real heartthrob cover). As for the trumpet playing, his stuff with Gerry Mulligan is really good. My favorite is their version of Bernie's Tune.

• Members

Long have been, generally, aware of Baker as a jazz figeure.

Didn't know he sang.

One confesses that it would be nice to know what Miles, or others sounded like as vocalists, esp considering what it's like just to type accurately...

I don't think you want to hear Miles singing. Have you ever heard him talk? :eek:

Neo-folkie David Wilcox has a very neat little song called "Chet Baker's Unsung Swan Song" about that fateful morning when Chet nodded off while sitting in his window and fell outta this mortal coil. Rhapsody subscriber's can look it up or hear it here -- non-subscribers can hear 30 seconds.

• Members

David Wilcox has a very neat little song called "Chet Baker's Unsung Swan Song" about that fateful morning when Chet nodded off while sitting in his window and fell.

Junkies don't just nod off out of windows. :)

Junkies are experts at finding non-injurious locations/positions to nod off in...

They also don't commit suicide with a roomful of drugs. :)

• Moderators

I've been listening to Chet Baker Sings today and it's really enjoyable- haven't googled it for the credits yet, sounds a little like Bill Evans on piano though. I think Steve Miller took after the Chet Baker vocal style for his "Born 2 B Blue ".

It does sound like Evans. It's not though. It's Russ Freeman. I really like Freeman's playing on this album.

Archived