Craig ..since you're the Vegas expert

Bookumdano2

• Members

I'm thinkiing about finally learning video editing. Since you seem to be able to create and edit a 2 hour movie in about 15 seconds with your eyes closed with Vegas ....what are good places to see training and tutorials? Or cool books or training videos to buy. Does Sony offer much in the way of tutorials etc when one buys Vegas? I've taken a look at some stuff on Youtube but it's all pretty scattered.

• Members

I'm thinkiing about finally learning video editing. Since you seem to be able to create and edit a 2 hour movie in about 15 seconds with your eyes closed with Vegas ....what are good places to see training and tutorials? Or cool books or training videos to buy. Does Sony offer much in the way of tutorials etc when one buys Vegas? I've taken a look at some stuff on Youtube but it's all pretty scattered.

Luckily, I started with Vegas Video 1.0, which was basically a DAW with additional tracks for video. Everything I did with DAWs applied to Vegas. If there was something I didn't understand, the online help took care of it.

Over the years as Vegas has become more complex, all I needed was to learn the New Stuff and frankly, I'm sure I'm missing out on some features. The most confusing parts for me were video capture from the camcorder (although one day, I figured out to go into the Task Manager and adjust priorty to Above Normal - end of dropped frames!) and rendering. For rendering, I just kept doing it and doing it until I figured out what worked, then saved that as a preset.

You might consider starting off with Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It's under $100 and holds your hand during the learning process. If you find you really like video editing, you can upgrade to the "real" Vegas and if not, you're not out a lot of bucks.

Just remember...video takes up a lot of space. I see a 500GB external drive in your future...

• Members

I second Vegas Movie Studio.

I bought the Platinum version on sale (I think it's about $90-$100 at typical discount, I got $30 knocked back in rebate). I think it adds some DVD options over the full plebe version; you can check the website.

I may have checked the help system a couple times but I found it very intuitive (from the point of view of a longtime software DAW user, anyhow).

The VMS version has 4 stereo audio tracks and 4 video tracks. They're pre-labeled (in VMS) for specific tasks but in actuality, they're all equally capable and can be interchanged. All vid tracks can accept plug ins in the clip or in the track's control area (ie, individual vid clips can have individual FX; the whole vid track can also take non-destructive vid FX).

The audio clips are only a tiny bit less flexible. A whole audio track can take one or more real-time (live/non-destructive) FX. Individual clips can have destructive (permanent, as it were) FX applied to them (it automatically backs up the original clip, though, so you have a backwards path if you need it).

Automation of realtime (non-destructive) video FX is pretty straightforward. A pop up shows you a miniature timeline of the clip or track; the time cursor defaults to the start. You can set the FX controls at any point in the timeline and it will 'morph' -- gradually transistion -- from one key frame FX definition to the next one you set. If that sounds confusing -- it isn't once you see it. You can also pan and scan/crop using the same type automation.

Finally, on my very modest 2.8 gHz P4HT with only 1.25 GB of RAM, editing and viewing is pretty much a no-wait process. (Where processing power does come into play is in rendering; but anyone who'se done any video work will expect that.)

Frankly, I could not be more delighted.

• Members

I've said a few times that if it wasn't for Vegas, I wouldn't have a video career. Now I know enough that if I had to move over to Final Cut Pro or Premiere, I'd be able to figure it out. But Vegas made that crucial audio-editing-to-video-editing transition possible for me.

• Members

Heh :) Almost done.

VMS was a great deal though I agree I paid like $100 and I find I don't quite need anything more capable yet. Only thing it's missing which'd help a lot is if you could do a pan or letterbox on an entire track amongst individual clips - cause you have to add the pan/letterbox to each clip and that just adds more to the tedium.

Archived