Twitter... who tweets? Who reads 'em? Who cares?

blue2blue

• Members

OK... as we get older, it gets more and more tiresome being trendy. Yes, I was on MySpace way back at the start of 2004 and on Friendster even before that... I still find M/S and, particularly, Facebook tiresome and boring but whaddya gonna do? Your friends insist...

Anyhow, I've been on Twitter for a while to but I don't know anyone else (on a personal basis) who is, I don't go there, and I don't tweet. (In fact, I hate the look of the place and I hate the verbiage.)

Something like FeedFriend -- er FriendFeed ( https://friendfeed.com/tkmajor ) seems to make more sense for a guy like me.

But I really don't need to let my friends (worse, my clients) know when I'm going out for coffee or to the supermarket or feeling up/down/sideways (as Twitter seems to feel is a primary purpose for their service)... but I COULD see the use of it for workgroups, teams, and the like.

Whereas FriendFeed is basically an aggregator you can use to let the poor pathetic souls who actually hang on your every word follow you pretty easily. (I need to remember to email my feed URL to my cat.)

Is anyone here actually using Twitter?

• Members

digg is a hole in my interconnectivity weave, I'm afraid.

Are you using it? Should I?

Does anyone really care? I'm starting to feel like I've spread myself so thin that only a handful of folks follow any one thing, anymore, where once I used to have 30-50 people following, say, my song blog. OTOH, I was updating that daily. And now... well... I'm pretty boring.

PS... I saw you posted on one of my older poli- blog comments... I approved it w/o looking thinking you'd be tearing me the proverbial 'new one' but you actually agreed with me... We're never going to stir up a good publicity generating duel that way! :D;):D

• Members

I don't really have time for that kind of thing, and as it is, I post here waaaay too much!! :D But anyway, I'll open up an account and let it lie dormant, as I did with Facebook. If people start contacting me through there or things start happening, then I'll start communicating through there. But otherwise, I just put it out there.

I've never even looked at Twitter. Just doesn't interest me.

• Members

Here's a sort of Twitter I could get into....

Let's hang out, maybe share a beer or two, listen to music, and talk about stuff. Or go to dinner and blab. It's a new way of communicating sure to take our country by storm.

We could call it Face to Face Book.

Or Vocal Friend Feed.

Or Audible Twitter.

• Members

digg is a hole in my interconnectivity weave, I'm afraid.

Are you using it? Should I?

I signed up and submitted one of my own articles. It actually got a couple diggs. I should go back and see if it got anymore. It was my Death Magnetic review. ;) So, I don't think it was not going to really stand out, ya know?

It seems it's all the rage, but like everything else, who knows what's gonna stick? I think that's how we get spread so thin, by trying keep up with all these avenues, in the event we might miss the next big thing in self-exposure.

PS... I saw you posted on one of my older poli- blog comments... I approved it w/o looking thinking you'd be tearing me the proverbial 'new one' but you actually
agreed
with me... We're never going to stir up a good publicity generating duel
that way!
:D;):D

Whoops! I guess that isn't going to have CNN and the masses coming over and doing some analysis, is it? ;)

• Members

One thing I did notice is it appears google seems to be making steps towards a networking type system on blogger/etc.

I think that's a good idea, might as well be, since it's a large base of users that could connect in the usual networking ways. It would probably help the traffic of the whole thing, once you get like minded bloggers grouping together.

It seems like a natural extension of subscribing, ya know?

I found a few great blogs that were on blogger and it would be nice if I could easily subscribe (without using feeds) since were on the same service. Then when I log in, I can manage my blog and see what my "friends" blogs are up to. All in the same place.

• Members

Reading these response I can't help but feel like we must all spend too much time online together... we seem to be growing together into one amorphous entity that has almost identical responses to new cyber phenomena.

I could have written every single post here. (Pretty much; and I did smile to myself when the phrase interconnectivity weave came to mind. Maybe I should twitter it with credit to myself fast.)

And, yeah, Twitter seems to be really intertwined (I see a motif developing here) with SMS... so I could be alerted (for a dime a pop) every time Stranger posts... :D

I just need something more of a one-stop -- which FriendFeed seems to sort of want to be but...

[coffee_talking] Every time I see see that name, I'm reminded of the mid-60's novel "A Feast of Friends" that Jim Morrison (sort of) mentions in The End (or When the Music's Over -- as many times as I've heard both, I've never really been sure where one leaes off and the other one begins...) "... a feast of friends / alive she cried / waiting for me / outide... awwauwwaugh!" That Jimbo. Woulda like to have gone out drinking with him in Paris. C'mon Jim, get out of the tub, squeeze into some of those leather jeans, and we'll go hit a neighborhood bar in the Bastille district. I was in Paris when he died, you know, but I didn't hear about it for a couple weeks, when I was in Venice, I think. In fact, I never even saw them. Though if I'd been on my game, I could have seen them in my senior year of his skool at my future college, LB State. Ah well... the paths not crossed. [/coffee_talking]

You know... how could I possibly use twitter -- can anyone in this thread imagine me even getting a complete sentence inside of 140 characters? I mean, come on...

• Members

Reading these response I can't help but feel like we must all spend too much time online together... we seem to be growing together into one amorphous entity that has almost identical responses to new cyber phenomena.

:lol: Best laugh all day.

Hey, that reminds me we should all start one of those blogs that has numerous contributers. That would be cool if our little select group had our own blog.

I could have written every single post here. (Pretty much; and I
did
smile to myself when the phrase
interconnectivity weave
came to mind. Maybe I should twitter it with credit to myself
fast
.)

:headexplodes:

And,
yeah,
Twitter seems to be really intertwined (I see a motif developing here) with SMS... so I could be alerted (for a dime a pop) every time Stranger posts...
:D

Oh dear, that would be a seriously questionable use of ten cents.

[coffee_talking] Every time I see see that name, I'm reminded of the mid-60's novel "A Feast of Friends" that Jim Morrison (sort of) mentions in The End (or When the Music's Over -- as many times as I've heard both, I've never really been sure where one leaes off and the other one begins...) "... a feast of friends / alive she cried / waiting for me / outide...
awwauwwaugh!
" That Jimbo. Woulda like to have gone out drinking with him in Paris. C'mon Jim, get out of the tub, squeeze into some of those leather jeans, and we'll go hit a neighborhood bar in the Bastille district. I was
in
Paris when he died, you know, but I didn't hear about it for a couple weeks, when I was in Venice, I think. In fact, I never even
saw
them
Though if I'd been on my game, I could have seen them in my senior year of his skool at my future college, LB State. Ah well... the paths not crossed. [/coffee_talking]

You know... how could I possibly use twitter -- can anyone in this thread imagine me even getting a complete sentence inside of 140 characters? I mean, come
on...

That rules me out. I guess twitter just isn't for me. :(:)

• Members

:lol:
Best laugh all day.

Hey, that reminds me we should all start one of those blogs that has numerous contributers. That would be cool if our little select group had our own blog.

:confused:

I thought that's what this was and that we just kept Craig around for, you know, cover...

• Members

For example....

AAAAAWAGH!!! :eek:

Next time... warn me!

:D;):D

BTW... I don't think I have a flabby ego. I mean, for a guy who doesn't even believe in personal identity, I've got a pretty hearty sense of self-involvement and self-justification.

PS... I had to look up dystonic. That's what I like about this place, it makes me look stuff up every now and then. That is not the case too many other places. (Oh, I'll look something up so I can get the goods on someone who has just posted some tech thing I think is incorrect but that's not really educational, 'cause I'm going to forget whatever it was as soon as I've humiliated them. :D )

• Members

For example....

Speaking of which, events of late have proved my point. Look at the threads we've had lately that border on "those" types of threads. But, since it is known that the usual {censored} we see down there won't be tolerated here, we don't see it.

Great, engaging, thought provoking, civil discussion, unrivaled in it's intelligence and wit...all from simple moderation.

They need to just drop the hammer in there. Start cleaning house until the threads look like they do in here. Once the tone is set, it moderates itself. I could see where it probably wouldn't be as self-policing as our forum, but this forum doesn't even need moderated, so I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. Somebody just needs to clean it up and keep it clean until the trolls give up and go back to OJ.

The end. :)

• Members

I have about ten people telling me I need to use Twitter, and after looking at it numerous times, I still for the life of me can't see the appeal.
:idk:

I feel the same about Myspace, Facebook,

any instant messaging program and the

whole social networking scene in general.

I just don't get why it's so exciting to people

to be so "overconnected" with each other.

It must be a generational thing.

A bit like T-shirts with promotional or other

material on them, a personal hatred of mine

and many of my baby boomer friends. (I'm 55)

It's getting harder and harder to find a plain t

T-shirt without some sort of graphic, brand name

or other promotional device on it.....

• Moderators

OK... as we get older, it gets more and more tiresome being trendy.

That just about says it all for me.

I was asked by my boss's boss's boss, to look into making delivery of SMS messages. I have a database of 45000+ audio files and send out thousands of concatenated messages via the phone system everyday.

But when asked about text messaging... I found myself calling my 11 year old daughter and requesting she text me so I could see how this works. I am a total neophyte with regards to the thumbing world OMG! She is now my BFF.

Not bad huh? All this past weekend! You want to know how something works? Ask an 11 years old.:facepalm:

And Wikipedia. And SSS which I will do shortly...

Archived