Someday I may become Amexican

• Members

Gawsh... amplayer, that is the saddest thing I've heard in weeks.

We're gonna need to air lift you 3 tacos from one of those ultra-cool late night taco trucks you see out in front of all the best Mexican bars. I've spent many a quality prime post-closing drive time hour shoveling down carne asada and barbacoa tacos, trying to soak up alcohol before hitting some freeway. Back in my drinkin' days.

• Members

I am originally from San Diego. I used to eat Carne Asada Burritos ALL THE TIME!

Now I live in New England. There isn't any Mexican food here. People here actually think Taco Bell is Mexican food!

uggh being away from home is torture.

can't get good fajitas (no you crazy lady, i DONT want chicken!), enchiladas, chile relleno, quesos flameados... any of my old favorites.

plus the salsa is terrible. no self respecting tex-mexer ever ate white salsa with his chips --- what gives?

• Members

When I'm in Houston, I always eat Mexican. And I fall in love with

a waitress at least twice a week. Vietnamese always want to

take me to Vietnamese restaurants. Hell - I live in Vietnam!

The last food I want to eat in Houston is VN food.

But I love the Mexican restaurants. So cheap. The waitresses

are muy caliente.

• Moderators

I am originally from San Diego. I used to eat Carne Asada Burritos ALL THE TIME!

Now I live in New England. There isn't any Mexican food here. People here actually think Taco Bell is Mexican food!

I'm a San Diexican but grew up a Los Angelexican. Today, I always know, wherever I am in San Diego county, I can find good Mexifood. But by far, the best in town, sorry but, yes, I did say the best, is Raul's. Downtown Encinitas on Coast Highway 101 cross the street from historic La Paloma Theater. Not to be confused with the good but run of the mill Alibiertos next door.

Raul's! Care for some spicy chicken soup? Avo, peppers, white chicken, cilantro, rice. You will be on your knees. Not in pain from the spice, but at that point, for the first time you will know there is a God and you will feel the need to repent... right away.

Don't even think about ordering a Carnitas Crispy Taco. Oh, and think you know what rolled tacos taste like? You don't.

Raul's!

• Members

You should all become North Dakotacans. Think about it. No one could ever find you. People do not know where it is, except Canandians who come to visit and shop every weekend. Every four years we elect a governor but we are not really sure where he lives or works. You can actually use your cruise control when you drive down the highway. You can be alone without being inside a building. We do eat tacos here. We actually get the internet even though I'm sure it's meant for the Montana customers and we are just pirating the signal.

• Members

I'm a San Diexican but grew up a Los Angelexican. Today, I always know, wherever I am in San Diego county, I can find good Mexifood. But by far, the best in town, sorry but, yes, I did say the best, is Raul's. Downtown Encinitas on Coast Highway 101 cross the street from historic La Paloma Theater. Not to be confused with the good but run of the mill Alibiertos next door.

Raul's! Care for some spicy chicken soup? Avo, peppers, white chicken, cilantro, rice. You will be on your knees. Not in pain from the spice, but at that point, for the first time you will
know
there is a God and you will feel the need to repent... right away.

Don't even think about ordering a Carnitas Crispy Taco. Oh, and think you know what rolled tacos taste like? You don't.

Raul's!

That sounds amazing, it's six minutes to lunchtime over here in NYC, you're killin me LOL!

Ken and I were fortunate enough to have some excellent tacos here in NYC on his last visit. It makes me think the next SSS get together should be centered around good quality Mexican food...

• Members

That sounds amazing, it's six minutes to lunchtime over here in NYC, you're killin me LOL!

Ken and I were fortunate enough to have some excellent tacos here in NYC on his last visit. It makes me think the next SSS get together should be centered around good quality Mexican food...

Look, I know what I'm going to say here may confound people in Southern California...but those tacos we ate would compare favorably to anything we eat around here...yes, including La Super Rica in Santa Barbara (sluuurp! see photo below):

X0060kitchen.jpg

And it smokes on Tito's Tacos in Los Angeles.

This is a place that is at Coney Island. Dang, it's good. Great call, Jay!!

• Members

Raul's! Care for some spicy chicken soup? Avo, peppers, white chicken, cilantro, rice. You will be on your knees. Not in pain from the spice, but at that point, for the first time you will
know
there is a God and you will feel the need to repent... right away.

Raul's!

Ah, damn, you're killin' me here!!!!!! That sounds so freakin' good!! San Diego has some amazing Mexican food.

And so does Mexico!! Only in Mexico they don't call it "Mexican food"...it's just "food". :D

• Moderators

tacos are just the tip of the iceberg... you guys do partake of real, sit-down mexican restaurants right??

I partake in it all! :) Chile Relleno, Mole, Machaca for breakfast, or eggs with ranchera sauce. Shrimp in tomato sauce. What else? All of it's good.

• Members

I'm also from SD originally and am in the same boat in the DC area - no carne asada burritos here.

I also miss fish tacos.

• Members

I'm also from SD originally and am in the same boat in the DC area - no carne asada burritos here.

I also miss fish tacos.

When you say fish tacos, are you referring to Rubio's, or something more like what you'd get down in Rosarito Beach or Ensenada? I like both types, but they're way different.

• Members

When I'm in Houston, I always eat Mexican. And I fall in love with

a waitress at least twice a week. Vietnamese always want to

take me to Vietnamese restaurants. Hell - I live in Vietnam!

The last food I want to eat in Houston is VN food.

But I love the Mexican restaurants. So cheap. The waitresses

are muy caliente.

Well one thing I like to eat in Boston is the Vietnamese noodle soup. I can't say it, but I think it's called Pho or Pho Hoa. In any case, I just ask for a large bowl of the stuff, and I really enjoy it. I learned to like it when I used to work with some Vietnamese people. We used to go once or twice a month to get it.

I'm not sure what kind of leaves there are that I put in it. They come on the trey with bean sprouts and a lime slice. I guess it is some kind of mint leave. Anyways, that plus some hot sauce and that brown sauce and mix it all together. Yum. My wife won't eat it though because of the tripe and tendon in there.

• Members

Well one thing I like to eat in Boston is the Vietnamese noodle soup. I can't say it, but I think it's called Pho or Pho Hoa. In any case, I just ask for a large bowl of the stuff, and I really enjoy it. I learned to like it when I used to work with some Vietnamese people. We used to go once or twice a month to get it.

I'm not sure what kind of leaves there are that I put in it. They come on the trey with bean sprouts and a lime slice. I guess it is some kind of mint leave. Anyways, that plus some hot sauce and that brown sauce and mix it all together. Yum. My wife won't eat it though because of the tripe and tendon in there.

Yes, they're definitely mint leaves. And pho is really really good.

There's a place near my house that I go to regularly that is a vegan Vietnamese restaurant. The "meat" is all tofu, whether it's chicken, beef, shrimp, fish, or whatever. And he has some soups there that are amazingly delicious. Noodles, several kinds of tofu, slices of lime, bean sprouts, cabbage, mint leaves, peppers, the whole bit. It's so good. My friends that I take there are crazy about this place.

Archived