"Staying Alive" and CPR... haha

Phait

• Members

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081016/od_nm/us_heart_beegees;_ylt=AsgTA2Rr8ASV7m2UA7RXlZXtiBIF

U.S. doctors have found the Bee Gees 1977 disco anthem "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal beat to follow while performing chest compressions as part of CPR on a heart attack victim.

The American Heart Association calls for chest compressions to be given at a rate of 100 per minute in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). "Stayin' Alive" almost perfectly matches that, with 103 beats per minute.

• Members

Whatever works.

They've hit on something with music and memory, but I'm sure you could safely pick another song... one that doesn't make you want to wear bell-bottoms and silk shirts. ;)

Nothing by Rush I dare say.

• Members

I have so often picked that general range (actually I've used 95-97 bpm often for the downtempo/roots electronica I have made a lot of in the past)...

It's a great choice for an example, though, since, at least for this graying oldster, the feel of the song is burned into my brain...

:D

• Members

Way too much freakin' practice has the correct CPR tempo burned into my brain. :eek:

This music connection should be helpful for teaching from scratch though.

Stayin' Alive might not rock hard enough for the way I give CPR. Death is not an option. :cool:

I always have a defibrillator in my car too. I would just use my hands to give the jolt, but then people would start to wonder.

Archived