The Incandescent Era

the stranger

• Members

I'm figured that with the new halogens and all these other new light technologies, we probably are seeing the end of an era for lightbulbs.

I assume incandescents will still retain a niche market, but will be for the most part, obsolete.

Or perhaps it will be forced obsolescence.

http://www.impactlab.com/2007/04/07/banning-the-light-bulb/

Light-bulb-and-filament.jpg

• Members

And you know there are people out there who won't use the newer, better fluorescent bulbs because they hate Al Gore.

Seriously, though LED-cluster lighting is taking over some surprising applications: stop lights, exit signs, theatrical and commercial display, and essentialyl anywhere where color is required, because color is much more efficiently achieved with LED than with incandesent. They say LEDs will never light a stadium but will continue to usurp the market of incandescent lighting in others ways...you don't even want to know how I know this.

• Members

incandescents are not going anywhere... they just have to be more efficiant:

Please see this document:

http://www.eei.org/industry_issues/electricity_policy/federal_legislation/nonav_timeline_hr6/HR6_EEIsummary.pdf

If you are too lazy to read it, I took this part out for you:

"Sec. 321. Efficient Light Bulbs. Amends Section 321(30) of EPCA to mandate new energy efficiency standards for general service incandescent light bulbs, intermediate base lamps, and candelabra base incandescent lamps that have a light output between 310 and 2,600 lumens. Lists 22 categories of incandescent lamps initially excluded from these standards, including appliance lamps, bug lamps, reflector lamps, rough service lamps, and 3-way incandescent lamps.

For typical 100-Watt incandescent bulbs, the new standard will require that new bulbs only use 72 Watts to produce the same light output as of January 1, 2012.

For typical 75-Watt incandescent bulbs, the new standard will require that new bulbs only use 53 Watts to produce the same light output as of January 1, 2013.

For typical 60-Watt incandescent bulbs, the new standard will require that new bulbs only use 43 Watts to produce the same light output as of January 1, 2014.

For typical 40-Watt incandescent bulbs, the new standard will require that new bulbs only use 29 Watts to produce the same light output as of January 1, 2014

Also mandates that candelabra base incandescent lamps use 60 Watts or less and intermediate base incandescent lamps use 40 Watts or less.

Within 1 year of enactment, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) must initiate a rulemaking on lamp efficiency labeling, to be completed within 30 months of enactment."

~Matt

• Members

And you know there are people out there who won't use the newer, better fluorescent bulbs because
they hate Al Gore

Seriously, though LED-cluster lighting is taking over some surprising applications: stop lights, exit signs, theatrical and commercial display, and essentialyl anywhere where color is required, because color is much more efficiently achieved with LED than with incandesent. They say LEDs will never
light a stadium
but will continue to usurp the market of incandescent lighting in others ways...
you don't even want to know how I know this.

Sure I do!

The Al Gore thing is the silliest {censored} I ever heard. Duh.

I use them where there are applicable and I'm not picky about the light. I've got one in my light outside the back door. It isn't as bright as you might like, but it works and doesn't burn out in a month or two like the good old incandescent bulbs do.

I absolutely can't stand fluorescents for interior lighting. We have the typical 2' over the sink and an overhead in the kitchen, and I have a couple shop lights in my workshop, but that's it.

• Members

If you are too lazy to read it, I took this part out for you:

~Matt

No, I'm never too lazy to read anything of interest. Sorry for your assumption. :p

Thanks for quoting it and saving me the trouble of pressing that mouse wheel. ;)

-Plus, I just had the thought of "the incandescent era" pop in my head today and thought it sounded cool.

I actually found the article when I was searching for an image of a light bulb to grace this thread. But, if

we can start a panic over banned light bulbs, that would be great.

Got cassette?

• Members

I'm figured that with the new halogens and all these other new light technologies, we probably are seeing the end of an era for lightbulbs.

I assume incandescents will still retain a niche market, but will be for the most part, obsolete.

Or perhaps it will be forced obsolescence.

http://www.impactlab.com/2007/04/07/banning-the-light-bulb/

Light-bulb-and-filament.jpg

Congress should keep their asses out of it. I still use low watt incandescents to heat the battery box for my wind generator in winter, as do many other wind/solar enthusiasts. Sometimes you need more heat than light. Incandescents give you just the right amount of both for this application. Most other bulbs in my house are compact fluorescents, except in the studio where they cause RFI. Government tends to f**k up when they interfere in matters best left to the governed.

• Members

I had a halogen desk lamp a few years ago.

When I eventually got around to opening the box it was in, included was a short sheet with a warning that continued exposure to halogen lamps can cause skin cancer.

I threw the damn thing away without using it.

• Members

Incandescent bulbs for lighting are over 100 years old now, flourescent isn't that far behind...

I have been using the CFL bulbs for the past 6 years, got all my friends and relatives into them too - mostly through buying them and installing them myself.

But the next wave is LED - as other have said they are being used in a multitude of ways now. They use less power than flourescent, can be colored, and put out almost no heat. In a few years items like car headlights will be LED - once they make them about 10x more powerful.

The only place I see "regular" bulbs being used is somewhere that sees a lot of heat - like your oven...

• Members

We've gone to LEDs in our stoplights in Utah, but I think they'll be going back soon. Being efficient, LEDs don't heat up like incandescents, and hence don't melt the snow that accumulates on them every storm! There was a rash of accidents last winter because the stoplights were covered with snow.

Archived