Large landscapes of the American West...

• Members
same painter, Albert Bierstadt - that's where I live

Nice back yard. ;) Good stuff. A few years ago I drove from Florida to Minnesota for my neice's HS graduation. I'd done that trip many times previously, so it was no big deal. However, that time I took a detour on the way home. I drove south into Iowa, and instead of turning left, back to Florida I turned right and spent two weeks driving through Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and, finally Florida. I didn't have nearly enough time and want to do it again. Utah is AMAZING. Some pix from the amazing journey: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/2004_trip Many of the pix were shot through the windows of the moving car. :lol:

• Members

Sure is a beautiful country - yesterday they were replaying Cat Ballou on TV - what stunning countryside that movie was shot in.

I look forward to going to Australia some day, speaking of beautiful.

Asia04_2x120.JPG

Part of your Australian coast reminds me of Big Sur:

DSC_0070cliffs.jpg

Big Sur (Central California coast)

But yeah, we're seriously lucky. We've got a gorgeous country. So many times we go on a trip, even if it's just within California, I'm in awe of the landscape.

• Members

You know what part of it is? My girlfriend is dying to go to Australia (and NZ). But she can almost never get off work for as long as I do. So I go to other places that she's not so interested in going. That's a large part of the hold-up. Well, that and it's not super cheap to go to Australia/NZ. So we go on these short little trips to Central California or wherever, plus our annual trip out to see her parents in West Virginia.

• Members

I've seen some Bierstadt paintings up close-there are some at the Whitney Museum of Western Art in Cody, WY (in the same building as the Winchester Gun Collection, the Plains Indian Museum and the Buffalo Bill Museum). These paintings are HUGE-something like 7 or 8 feet wide. They're amazing.

Wind River 7' x 5'

3cm365.jpg

Another Wind river

bierstadtwindriver.jpg

Mt Rainier Washington- 7' x 5'

ao_bi_mtrainier.jpg

• Members

Thanks for those, Mein Gnadiger Herrn von Hagenwil.

Yes, Bierstadt was fabulous. I got to see a retrospective of his at the Palace of Fine Arts in SF back in the early 90's...

You must come to Texas: parts of Texas still look like this (despite the earnest endeavours of Wal-Mart and Shamrock).

Archived