A rap album I produced is out today

dahkter

• Members

Greetings SSSers,

Just an FYI, an album I've been working on for the last eighteen months is out today. Boosh also did some engineering, and of course everyone on this board was an incredible asset in helping me get through this process. I recall Lee Flier introducing me to mastering, Russ introducing me to early reflections and Bruce introducing me to pushing the limits and going beyond sonic reality.

Here's the vitals for checking it out:

You can listen to sample clips from the album here:

http://www.tuffcrew.net/music/music.htm

A thorough description of the album can be found in the press release at the top of this page:

http://www.tuffcrew.net/press/press.htm

If anyone has any questions about the making of this album or anything else, post it in this thread.

Thank you to the entire SSS family for helping me understand this audio thing, I'm fully self taught with no formal training whatsoever and couldn't have done it without y'all.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Members

I'll be checking it out, Dak.

Thanks for the heads up!

Best Regards,

Jason

(I feel like I'm talking to myself. Oh yeah, I was. I seem to do that a lot. I wear a bluetooth headset when I'm out in public. That way I don't appear to be completely insane. No, I'm not actually taking a call, it just looks that way. ;))

• Members

Hey Stranger,

I heard McCartney talking about Cirque Du Soleil, that they decided to work with them because they were slightly crazy - like them. So don't sweat it, you're in good company.

Ken - I think you'll dig it, it's very improvisational and live sounding.

Boosh - thanks for helping out during the hectic mixdown period...

• Members

Hey Dahkie,... are there any more album art pics? I just looked at your myspace but there's only the front.

Don't worry,..I'm not gonna download the album and use your album art ;) I'll buy it from a store somewhere soon.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback blue.

The snippets are from last year, a quick mix right after I transferred the tapes into the computer. all the tracks were mono at that point.

When I sat down and restored and remixed it, I used some small reverbs to bring a stereo feel to the beats and chorus on the vocals to improve the dimensionality. the album tracks are much more expansive.

• Members

Hi Ernest,

The tracks on myspace are some instrumentals I did, those are not on the CD. Sample clips of the songs on the CD can be found here:

http://www.tuffcrew.net/music/music.htm

In NYC, you can buy the CD at Rock and Soul, that's on 7th Ave between 35th and 36th in Manhattan. The rest of the world can buy it from target.com or amazon.com, or if you want the digital, from tuffcrew.net

Thanks,

Jay

• Members

I dig the samples.

I'm not known around here at all and mostly just lurk, but I have a couple suggestions. Please don't take offense; just things I notice as a tech geek.

First would be to post the samples either as individual files or some sort of embedded streaming player. I think it'd be quicker/easier for users as opposed to downloading a larger zip file, extracting, and then listening to mp3s.

Second, rather than wav files, did you consider any lossless compression formats for the non-mp3 option? FLAC is getting pretty popular for internet releases (Reznor/NIN, Saul Williams, Byrne/Eno, bleep.com) and would cut the size in half as compared to wavs - save time and bandwidth. It wouldn't be as simple to get them to a CD, but many (most?) people interested in lossless formats are okay with FLAC.

Anyway, congrats on the release.

• Members

Kendrix knew me before I had the zebra shoes....

Yermej - thanks very much for the feedback, it's really appreciated. All of your comments are good, and the site is a work in progress, I appreciate your comment about streaming the music instead of the zip/extract/load/play, I agree that it's rather inconvenient. I'm going to try to add that to the next update of the site.

Regarding FLAC, it's definitely a good call. The one FLAC release I downloaded was a big pain in the ass, none of my software could convert it. With WAV, pretty much anything will load it, and most people of audio descent know what it is and what to do with it. Plus it sounds better than FLAC :lol: (phoenetically speaking). I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Appreciate the approval of the music, the album is actually better than those clips as well, so I will probably take em down over the weekend and pop in a flash player. If anyone knows how to make a small flash player, or has one laying around the house, please drop me a PM :cool:

All the best,

Jay

• Members

Yeah, FLAC can initially be a pain in the ass as many apps don't support it out of the box. I think Winamp does these days, but I'm not sure about CD burning software. I know the Byrne/Eno album warns that it's for advanced users and offers a link to the FLAC site - not the most user friendly approach, I guess.

XSPF Music Player is a free Flash music player I've seen on various sites, but I'm not sure what it takes to set it up.

• Members

Hey dahkter,

I just got a chance to listen today .... congratulations :thu:

Although it's not MY kind of music, I certainly can hear the things I taught you and that makes me feel pretty good. :p "Fatones," "NP of Skool Jackin'," and "NP One Straight Binness," all have some real special things going on that's not very apparent in the competitions music.

It's not hard to see that your music now has more depth than most everything in the top 10-20 on the R&B charts right now, that's knowledge you can take to the bank again and again.

Keep up the good work.

Russ

Nashville

Archived