Help with Mics, Vocals etc...

chrisgil

• Members

Hi all

this is a bit long winded.

I am using a Neumann U87ai going into a Fireface 800 for Vocals, Acoustic etc...

most of my gear is on my website (studio page) - www.christiangilbart.com

All going into logic.

I need to know the best gear to get that is as good or better for doing vocals with the my singers gear.

Motu 8pre (is this good enough)?

Which Mic should he get.

Does he have to go for the Neumann U87 or can he spend less to get as good or better results?

He also has a pair of Shure TG81 mics.

and a pair of Shure BG6.1 mics.

(are these any good and what are they best for).

He has a Joemeek VC1q studio channel - preamp

Thanks everyone.

ps the aim is to be proudcing high quality demos.

• Members

I'm not familiar with those mics, but for the purpose of producing high quality demos, the MOTU should be good enough. There's a number of decent mics for relatively cheap that he could get, and I'm sure people will chime in soon enough. It really depends on his voice. Many (but not all) people like the Rode NTK. The Audio-Technica AT2020 is a steal at $100 for a large diaphragm condenser, and sounds excellent for the money. I think Shure makes the KSM32 or something like that, which people really like. There's a lot of other choices as well.

• Members

I am using a Neumann U87ai going into a Fireface 800 for Vocals, Acoustic etc...

most of my gear is on my website (studio page) -
www.christiangilbart.com

All going into logic.

I just took a look at the gear on your website and you have enough high quality ingredients one could ever wish for to record any type of material.

I need to know the best gear to get that is as good or better for doing vocals with the my singers gear.

This must have been said a million times already but there really is no such thing as "best gear". It's subjective. Use whatever sounds right to your ears and will get the artistic message across.

Motu 8pre (is this good enough)?

It's good enough for Jazz :)

Which Mic should he get.

Does he have to go for the Neumann U87 or can he spend less to get as good or better results?

No, he doesn't have to go for the U87, even though it still is a fantastic tool. There's a lot more affordable mics out there these days that will get any job done when in professional hands. I am using cheap NTK's (as Ken already mentioned earlier) for most of my recordings and couldn't be happier with the results. Don't forget that the type of preamp you are using can also play a factor in the end result. BTW, the Fireface 800 actually is a really good piece of equipment.

ps the aim is to be proudcing high quality demos.

Although good quality gear can make recording life easier, it's not the ultimate deciding factor in producing high quality demos. Good songs, arrangements, talented delivery and clever production/mixing are a lot more important than whatever gear you are using.

Archived