I started us a blog...

the stranger

• Members

I think we need some folks to hold up the on-point side of things. Stranger and me probably can probably handle the tangential, peripheral, and wildy off-topic side of things until a few more modern ramblers come on board...

We've got the hot air for the balloon... now we need the ballast.

...and started the whole world crying?

Geez... I'm not on my game... it took me 15 (pre-coffee) seconds to get that.

On that note... a deconstructionalist, an empricist, and a pragmatist walk into a 12 step meeting...

• Members

Mom -- is that you?

:D

Actually, my mom tries to get on the net at least once or twice a day (the key was setting up her email on Gmail and setting up a Google home page for her (that I can log into and fix for her if something goes wack) with her email, rotating images of my cat (whose adoption by me she long angled for but who she has barely seen in the real world, since my cat isn't stranger-friendly), as well as a super-cute Flash animation of a cat that meows when you mouse over it and purrs when you 'pet' its head. This is what it takes to get my mom on the net, so be it. ;)

Blog is 'short' for web log. They started in the early, early days of the WWW, when the real geeks who'd been prowling the text and link pre-WWW internet would excitedly list all the cool new sites they'd visited with their new image-ready web browsers -- often with how long it took for a tiny (and sometimes not so tiny) image to download and render on their machine. (And it could take a couple minutes for a single image...) So, sort of a diary of web experiences in the beginning.

Over the years, the miracles of the web became more commonplace and blogs became both a diary of cool or interesting sites but also more general personal soap boxes.

At first, they were typically just the province of online friends, but as search engines became more and more useful and web self-promoters became more engaged, blogs came to be a little more like the online equivalent of print newspaper columns, presenting various mixes of the personal and the general, much like the feature, analysis and news columns in print publications.

But one thing that never really changed -- and in fact became more central in current event blogs -- was the inclusion of snippets of news articles and links back to the sources.

At first, some old line publications experimenting with this (to them) new web thing were huffy -- or worse -- when quoted (even when their IP lawyers pointed out precedent and practice regarding so-called fair use doctrine which was often seen to allow brief quotation for the purpose of comment and discussion). But print publications had been engaging in similar practice.

And, of course, eventually some of these dinosaur publications not only realized that such snips and links were actually increasing readership of their online content -- but that, like it or not, a time was coming when the WWW would dominate current events reporting and perhaps periodical publishing itself.

• Members

I used my blog to keep my friends updated in one place, so I don't have to repeat the same story (eg. trip to Europe) so many times.

I find Facebook more efficient for that purpose. I can also keep updated on what's up with them too - with less effort on everyone's part.

• Members

3 words:

Jorge Luise Borges

Borges would write a 3 page short story about a novella about an epic. I think, sometimes, maybe he liked ideas and thinking about writing more than he like writing. And he spent a lot of time as an academic, for sure.

Stranger

We're all alone.

I shouldn't have to tell that to a guy whose handle is the stranger, should I? ;)

• Members

3 words:

Jorge Luise Borges

Borges would write a 3 page short story about a novella about an epic. I think, sometimes, maybe he liked ideas and thinking about writing more than he like
writing.
And he spent a lot of time as an academic, for sure.

Stranger

We're
all
alone.

I shouldn't have to tell that to a guy whose handle is
the stranger
, should I?
;)

;)

Archived