Community trumps taste

Magpel

• Members

And it is not a bad thing...

I play in a band that, while I really enjoy myself and discharge my responsibilities with effort and professionalism, I am really not that attached to. I'm "just" the guitarist in this band, while I am the main songwriter in the other band. But anyway, it is the band in which I am "just" the guitarist that gets all the good gigs, that travels a lot, and that splits gigs with a lot of other happening bands from far flung places...

...And I've noticed something recently. Sometimes you get paired with a band, and when both bands have had their say, it is kind of apparent that they...loathe each others' music. We got a nice gig with a pretty happening "jam" band in Jersey. We went to their home club. Good gig. And at the end, I was like, whoah, I hope I never have to listen to that again. Good guys, doing well for themselves, but eek. And when I was exchanging pleasantries with their guitarist, it was pretty apparent to me that the feeling was mutual--plainly unmoved by us and by my playing. And I can see why, given what I know about his tastes.

And yet the prevailing attitude was kind of, "Rock on, dude, for all I care." It's not hypocrisy--it's just that some values, in this case bands supporting and providing opportunities for each other--are just a little more important than taste. I mean, really, by my usually pretty inclusive tastes, this band was exactly wrong about everything, and yet I am on their mailing list and when see that they are busy and climbing in their world (which they very clearly are) I say, all right dudes.

And I feel pretty good about this, 'cause I realize now I've long been a creature who seems to feel his opinion and discernment are his gift to the world. I am thinking that, here, in my mid-40s I am finally getting hip to something my peers have known for while.

Does this mean I'm a commie?

• Moderators

Of course it means you're a commie!

I get what you're saying. It always struck me as odd to see gang members fighting. Why? They're more alike than different. Why wouldn't they embrace each other's ideology instead of cracking skulls?

Why do musicians get so vehemently opposed to each other when the other takes a different path? They are both musicians. And though they perceive their respective music to be opposite, it's all music.

I was a teen, practicing with my band in our local old fashioned movie theater. We were playing some old Black Sabbath or something. It was a summer afternoon and in walks my local hero at the time. John Leftwich. Upright bass player. He sits and listens to us play bad rock badly. He sits and nods his head. He's having a great time.

I was in awe of him. He was young then but went on to play with Lyle Lovett, Carmen McCrae, Ricky Lee Jones. The guy was a monster back then too. I'm choking.

We break and I walk up to him (bassist to bassist don't you know). I'm apologetic. "Yeah... we just fooling around". Cool huh? He looks at me says, and I'll never forget it, "It's all music man. We're all doing the same thing. You guys got heart. That's why I was digging it."

It's all music, man.

Archived