Why I still have faith in the average American music listener

scud133

• Members

It seems HC is flooded with people bashing the "average" American for supporting crap music and making totally underserving people into superstars.

I think we're a bit biased at HC because if you come to this forum in the firstplace, you are probably a music snob anyway. Or else I just spend too much time in HCAF and Guitar Jam.

-------

But.... here's my theory:

1) The only major tours that consistently sell out across the country are HC Approved

• Members

When it comes down to really dropping some dough, like $50+ for a major concert, people are way more selective and only seem to consistently choose those acts that fall under the "good music" category.

I think if you replace the word "good" with "old", your statement would be far more accurate. Although "old" is perhaps a harsh word. But lets put it this way: the artists you mention have all been around for 20+ years. Their fanbases are made up of older people with more disposable income. It isn't that there is less "good music" nowadays--it's just that people are less likely to take a chance on something new.

• Members

If we could get rid of Clear Channel, I think the average listener would actually have a say in what they like or don`t like. The way the system is setup right now, the average listener is force fed.

"Like it or not, this is what you`re going to listen to!"-Clear Channel

There are good songs on the radio but they are outweighed 4:1 with the flavor of the month crap. The average listener is turning their radio on to relieve stress, to shut out the voices in their head or to kill the silence so they don`t really care what you feed them.

Like Kurdy said, its the listeners with the capital that make the music world go round. Thats why radio is dead. The listeners with $$$ are going to concerts and buying the records still to listen to what they want.

So in reality, there are two music listeners: the ones who don`t care what they listen to and the ones who do. They will also dish out the $$$ for it. Most here, if not all are in the 2nd group.

• Members

I think if you replace the word "good" with "old", your statement would be far more accurate. Although "old" is perhaps a harsh word. But lets put it this way: the artists you mention have all been around for 20+ years. Their fanbases are made up of older people with more disposable income. It isn't that there is less "good music" nowadays--it's just that people are less likely to take a chance on something new.

well i can't argue with that, i suppose older fans are more likely to have extra money than younger fans.

anyone out there that doesn't want to rain on my parade? i'm grasping for anything here.... :poke:

• Members

And the other thing a few people who aren't around kids that much frequently underestimate is what high school kids listen to. You talk to them or even watch what T-shirts they have on, and you'll find that a lot of 'em are listening to music that you might like. They might listen to Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, AC/DC, Metallica, SRV, Fleetwood Mac, Sabbath, Nick Drake, whatever. Sure, they listen to some hip-hop that you might not like, but hell, if kids aren't listening to music that doesn't annoy the older generation, they're doing something wrong.

• Members

I'm going to add what Ken said to what Scud133 said because I think it's interesting...

A lot of young folks do listen to an interesting mixture of music -- IF they're the kind who care what they listen to. They've keyed into the amazing variety of music available on the net and really investigated. They are the ones that make me feel like Scud133 is on to something here.

Of course, there are probably more youngsters in that *other* group... but who really cares what they think.

In other words, discounting us older folks with (some think) more discretionary resources, there are people who really listen and care.

• Members

I'm going to add what Ken said to what Scud133 said because I think it's interesting...

A lot of young folks do listen to an interesting mixture of music -- IF they're the kind who care what they listen to. They've keyed into the amazing variety of music available on the net and really investigated. They are the ones that make me feel like Scud133 is on to something here.

Of course, there are probably more youngsters in that *other* group... but who really cares what they think.

In other words, discounting us older folks with (some think) more discretionary resources, there are people who really listen and care.

I was in the *other* group until I started playing guitar in tenth grade. My guitar teacher took me off the wayward path and I've been clean ever since :wave:

• Members

I like to consider myself a nice mixture between the younger and older crowds. The music I consider to be good spans almost every genre of music and over hundreds of years.

That being said...look at the INSANE boom in the popularity of Country music. These are people who (not all, but most) don't write their own songs. There are hit song writers on Music Row, writing their little hearts out and the people are eating that stuff up.

Now I'm the first to remember that when Rock first hit the ground there weren't a whole lot of artists writing their own material and that the Motown folks were handing songs to other groups that became huge hits.

The average music listener....hmmm...who is he or she? They may have a 120gig iPod...filled to the brim with music. Suggestions from friends, random downloads, whatever they hear on Clear Channel....it doesn't mean they are listening to Good Music.

People (young people) today listen to older bands like the Police, U2, Rolling Stones, Beatles, because they are conditioned to...there are four people who don't like the Beatles...(I know there are more than four)...when kids are growing up they follow the trends...and don't start finding their "own kind of music" until they get a little bit more educated in the ups and downs of what's out there.

I've got more on the subject but breakfast is calling. Heh!

Archived