What do you think is the "next big thing"?

• Members

Over the last couple of decades we've seen some revolutionary things happen in music playing and production that were "game changers".

I'm talking about things like the impact of samples... samples went from an "exotic" and expensive thing that only a few musicians used, to the "way" most keyboards work... (along with a retro trend for analog)...

In guitar playing the advent of modelling has become very prevelent... certainly a major new option that many guitarists have accepted and used.

In recording, the advent of digital recording, pro tools and the like have swept across the industry and with free products like Audacity, it's available to almost anyone.

The rise of mp3's as a delivery standard. There's no doubt this has changed the game enourmously, especially with younger people... often it's the main way they consume music.

But it seems like it's been a while since there's been a new "big thing"...

Am I missing something?

If there isn't anything now... what COULD or SHOULD be the next "big thing"?

M

Maybe I'm wishing for too much, but how about some cool new MUSIC from all those toys? ;)

As long as I'm dreaming, I would also like to ask for a new, fair and workable distribution model that fairly compensates artists and other industry professionals, weeds out the druck, and provides lots of options to listeners, at a reasonable price.

• Members

I came into the thread hoping it was about the next big musical thing... 'cause while there's much fine music I enjoy that's come out in recent years and continues to come out -- I'm pretty sick of all the once-trendy-now-dreary pop music shtick. Everywhere I turn, some used-up tricked-out gimmick is hobbling down Pop Music Street like an aging, used-up, worn-out streetwalker at 6:15 AM.

That said, it is absolutely true that technology helps drive changes in pop music. The use and abuse of technology has always had a big influence. It's a worthwhile subject -- but it can be really hard to tell what will have a somewhat lasting effect and what will be a wash. For every CD, there are a dozen Quad, SACD, record-on-demand cassette kiosks, etc, that will have no meaningful lasting impact on anything but some gullible pocket book owners.

Anyhow, I'm kinda with Phil.

Except for 'weeding out the druck.' One man's druck is another man's manna. So, really, in some ways we're a lot closer than we were, particularly now that iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc, are open to mere mortals through services like TuneCore.

Still, it does seem like it's still difficult for musicians to hook up with potential audience, and vice versa.

Part of the problem is the pop blabberatti... I read what hey write about various bands and sometimes check out what they're writing about and say, WTF? This worn out, me too crap is their idea of the next big thing?

Which is a problem, because then when the black t-shirt and blazer crowd is writing about someone who really is interesting, you just ignore it, assuming it's more bought and paid hype masquerading as music crit.

• Members

Holographic mixing interfaces will become more standard. Instead of faders and knobs, the mixing engineer will manipulate multi dimensional shapes for each sound source. This technology will be available to the mass market and artists will develop their music so that it can be interactively mixed by the end user. Not only is the technology available for recording purposes, it is also available in a live performance format that allows audience members to use their mixing interface to mix the concert as they go. They can hear their own and others' mixes through a wireless headphone setup that allows them to broadcast mixes to each other.

• Members

Holographic mixing interfaces will become more standard. Instead of faders and knobs, the mixing engineer will manipulate multi dimensional shapes for each sound source. This technology will be available to the mass market and artists will develop their music so that it can be interactively mixed by the end user. Not only is the technology available for recording purposes, it is also available in a live performance format that allows audience members to use their mixing interface to mix the concert as they go. They can hear their own and others' mixes through a wireless headphone setup that allows them to broadcast mixes to each other.

I think that's the kind of thing the OP had in mind!

And... don't forget the 3D virtual reality glasses so they don't have to all see the same thing, either...

Back, in the 60s, of course, we had a much more, shall we say, direct route to introducing greater solipsism into the social reality. :D

• Members

The ability to alter your voice to mimic others.

The ability to completely separate things from a song (a completed stereo mix, IOW) - vocals, guitars, bass, dumbek, sitar, whatever.

Solid hard drives as the standard, which therefore lead to smaller devices (including portable recording devices)

Touch screens for everything (if HP and iPhones and Nikon haven't done this already!!)

• Moderators

I think the next big thing is a return to the songwriter. With most of todays music being overly produced, I think the next big thing is going to be a singer-songwriter telling their story on just a guitar or piano and people actually listening to the words. What a refreshing idea!

I agree.

Guys like Ray Lamontagne made such a splash a couple years ago because it didn't sound like everything else. It had the effect of all the kids leaving the house and the parents look at each other saying "What's that? What's that... silence?!?!"

Jack Johnson. I don't particularly like his style but I dig the fact that he's mostly just an organic singer/songwriter with minimal trappings.

Gavin DeGraw. He's currently promoting an album that's pretty slick and produced, but he's totally capable of bringing it while sitting at the piano a la early Elton.

I still like completely over the top production too. Ain't nothing wrong with it. It's fun. And... it's really nice to have a contrast to that. To grab a breath before the next onslaught.

I look forward to a new batch of young writers taking their craft seriously and creating something new, and something real.

Like the guy who can grab a rowdy room's attention by whispering. Shhh, what did he say?

• Members

I agree.

Guys like Ray Lamontagne made such a splash a couple years ago because it didn't sound like everything else. It had the effect of all the kids leaving the house and the parents look at each other saying "What's that? What's that... silence?!?!"

Jack Johnson. I don't particularly like his style but I dig the fact that he's mostly just an organic singer/songwriter with minimal trappings.

Gavin DeGraw. He's currently promoting an album that's pretty slick and produced, but he's totally capable of bringing it while sitting at the piano a la early Elton.

I still like completely over the top production too. Ain't nothing wrong with it. It's fun. And... it's really nice to have a contrast to that. To grab a breath before the next onslaught.

I look forward to a new batch of young writers taking their craft seriously and creating something new, and something real.

Like the guy who can grab a rowdy room's attention by whispering. Shhh, what did he say?

HAW! Yeah. Those kids just can't get enough Ray Lamontagne! They're insatiable...

• Moderators

:)

Good point.

But I wasn't saying Ray Lamontagne was the next big thing.Only that I saw a reaction to him that I haven't seen in a while. People moved by music and less by fashion.

I not saying any of the artists I mentioned are the next big thing. Only that in some way they signal a little change. And that change I would imagine will effect those coming up and learning.

And those new artists will be the next big thing.

• Members

I've found that if you try and predict what the next big thing will be, it never is. You read all these articles in magazines that claim "trend x" is the future, and right on the verge of breaking into the mainstream, yet you never hear about "trend" again. The stuff that really winds up changing the game is the stuff that comes out of left field that we don't expect.

To expand on the Ray Lamontagne theme, I recently went to see what turned out to be one of the best concerts I've been to in a while--Marc Broussard. He's a young guy from Louisianna, and he had everyone in the whole place jumping. Great voice, great musician, backed by a great band. The young girls in the place were going nuts and appeared to know all the words to his songs. Yet, you probably won't hear him on mainstream radio.

I don't think this is indicative of a trend though. You'll always have great musicians who work hard, tour, put on a great show, and people will come out to see them. That kind of thing never goes out of style.

And then, of course, you'll always have the flavor of the month too.

Archived