I Will Never Upgrade Sonar Again

ggm1960

• Members

I'm trying to get up to speed with one band while at the same time reforming my former band with a more experienced rhythm section. Both of these projects require some midi sequencing and are sucking up most of my limited free time.

I had a little time tonight to try and build a sequence and although I wanted to try to use Digital Performer 5 (I'd switched to a MBP for live work) I'm still completely green with that program and can't really accomplish anything very quickly so I thought, well, I'll go to Sonar because I can get things done quickly there...............yeah right!

You see, I'd recently upgraded to version 7 from version 5 and all the things I knew about Sonar have apparently gone out the window.

First off, I can remember how annoying it was the first time right clicking the mouse changed my now time. Somehow I discovered how to make it stop in global options. Geez how I long to find that option again!

And, am I crazy or did one used to be able to make midi channel assignments in the track pane? I guess it's silly to thing anyone would want to do that anymore?

I went through a huge list of Views - Toolbars trying to find some I used to take for granted and ended up looking at a huge area of wasted gray space at the top of the screen.

So instead of roughing out some midi sequences I spent the night scratching my head wondering why I paid $170 to sit around like a moron.

If/when I ever learn to use this completely different program I must learn to ignore the upgrade chants that reverberate in my head spurred by countless e-mails and pop-up windows so that I can actually have at least one program that I can sit down and just use!

• Members

I wish I could help you; upgrading is almost always a drag. I just updated to Cubase 4, but I kept a working version of Cubase SX3 on my machine just in case I had to go back (as I usually have in the past)

Good luck and I hope you work it out.

• Members

I hate Cakewalk products. I'm a long-time Cake user from the

late 80's or early 90's, (Cake for DOS)! But I stopped using

their stuff in the mid-90's.

They're abusing the English language. "Cakewalk" used to mean

"easy to do". I tried Home Studio in the late 90's, threw it in

the trash. I tried it again in 2004. Threw it in the trash again.

For MIDI I use the old Voyetra software, Record Producer,

(Formerly known as Digital Orchestrator Pro).

I love it.

For digital audio I either use Sound Forge or Wave Lab.

Love them both too.

If I'm collaborating with someone who is recording at >44.1khz,

I use Cubase. Most of the time Voyetra, SF & WL are all I need.

• Members

I'd try to give you specific help but I'm on 6, mine's somewhat customized besides.

A lot of people swear by the cakewalk forums.

But first, just a thought, you probably already checked -- did you look at the 'view tabs' at the bottom of the track pane... In v. 6 they're: Custom, Mix, F/X, I/O, and All -- they limit the number of controls shown in the track panes for each track.

Good luck! Check the Sonar Forum.

• Members

Sonar 7 is the rev where, in response to user requests, they completely revamped the MIDI part of the program. Once I figured it out, I have to say, the whole smart MIDI tool/customizable aspect is great. It's saved me more time than it took me to figure it out.

BUT no matter what, when you upgrade ANYTHING, you have to learn it. When I switched from PPC G5 to Intel Mac, it was a whole other world. Ditto XP to Vista. In both cases, though, the benefits outweighed the time spent on the learning curve.

• Members

I hate Cakewalk products. I'm a long-time Cake user from the

late 80's or early 90's, (Cake for DOS)! But I stopped using

their stuff in the mid-90's.

They're abusing the English language. "Cakewalk" used to mean

"easy to do". I tried Home Studio in the late 90's, threw it in

the trash. I tried it again in 2004. Threw it in the trash again.

For MIDI I use the old Voyetra software, Record Producer,

(Formerly known as Digital Orchestrator Pro).

I love it.

For digital audio I either use Sound Forge or Wave Lab.

Love them both too.

If I'm collaborating with someone who is recording at >44.1khz,

I use Cubase. Most of the time Voyetra, SF & WL are all I need.

You and Audioicon seem angry http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2133356

• Members

I did go to the cakewalk forums and it didn't take long to get a little help. It turns out that the option to turn off "right click sets now" is accessed by right clicking in the clips pane's time ruler! I might have never thought to look there!

It's really disappointing that the help menu was of no use and the printed manual that came with this version is truly pea-sized compared to manuals with previous versions.

I will learn this version the same as I have previous versions ad nauseam but I'm just going to try and stick with it so that I'll have at least one 'go to' program.

Later when/if things slow down I'll consider upgrading again.

The fact is, when my band split up I thought I was going to take some time off to record my own backlog of music in my own leisurely style and spend time really digging into learning Sonar 8, Digital Performer, Logic Express, Reason 4 and Ableton Live as well as my new Korg TR88 and the Roland Fantom XR I've already been using for quite a while.

Band offers continued to role in and although I turn most down I really didn't want to pass on these two so I'll continue to learn things the hard way and be thankful that people want to work with me.:)

• Members

This just keeps getting weirder! I went to split an audio section and it took out a chunk to the left of my split! I clicked on "Split", not "Take A Chuck Out Of The Audio"! Where did that come from??

Yet again the help file is completely worthless.

• Members

Apparently the "Take A Chunk Out Of Your Audio" feature was a bug 'cause it stopped doing it after I installed the 7.0.1 & 7.0.2 updates just now.

I had those out on a network drive but I'd obviously forgotten to install them.

So I guess the whole thread is a lie because I just upgraded from 7.0.0 to 7.0.2.:facepalm:

• Members

I don't have an Intel Mac yet.
:facepalm:
However, I play around with them in the Apple store, and they seem exactly the same to me. What is the big deal I'm missing?

Apple is a brilliant, superiour concept all over!

The housing is made of environment friendly material imported from Africa, comparable to Sisal or Hemp. The computer contains zero chemicals which would turn you rivals into hermaphrodites, and most important, does not emit any toxic odour containing chemicals including the cancer-causing benzene:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/laptops/articles/rotten-smell-raises-apple-toxin-fears/2008/10/02/1222651229837.html

Apart from that, Apple computer once it turns into e-waste, will be re-exported back to Africa where he originally came from, and young Africans with brilliant futures dismantle the computers and monitors with little more than stones in search of metals that can be recycled back to us. The remaining plastic, cables and casing is either burnt or simply dumped, thats very handy in the winter when it is cold outside.

http://www.tenbees.co.uk/1/recycling/news/2008/08/r20080812175837.php

Monitors are also used to build bridges in the National Parks of Ghana:

waste_bridge.jpg

• Members

I don't have an Intel Mac yet.
:facepalm:
However, I play around with them in the Apple store, and they seem exactly the same to me. What is the big deal I'm missing?

Patches/updates to all the stuff that was written for PPC!! Most programs are now Intel-compatible, which is one reason why I've waited to upgrade.

• Members

Patches/updates to all the stuff that was written for PPC!! Most programs are now Intel-compatible, which is one reason why I've waited to upgrade.

The only issue I recall from switching from a Powerbook G4 to the MBP a few months ago was that Cubase LE would no longer rewire Reason. It was the fault of Cubase not wanting to fiddle with updating the freebie version.

• Members

I just upgraded from Studio 5 to Producer 7 and couldn't be happier! It took me a couple days to familiarize myself with the new interface, but now that I've got it down I'm totally loving it. Hope you get things worked out!

I'm sure as I get the chance to spend more time with it I'll like it more, cakewalk has always been my primary music program but what I need to do is really get down with the features and changes that have occurred since ver 2. I never really felt like I understood all the changes in ver 5 and now I'm working in ver 7.

Time is always my enemy, I don't get to spend enough doing my own music projects coupled with the fact that I'd also like to learn to use a whole pile of other programs and hardware I have better.

What I really need to do is just stick with 7 for a while and ignore the update gremlins.

Archived