Quick easy G5 questions

UstadKhanAli

• Members

As some of you know, I am looking to get a new audio computer setup. I'm going to get a Digi002 controller bundled with PT LE 7.4. Someone is also giving me a used G5 tower (I believe 3-4 years old), although I have to install a new master hard drive and purchase the OS. This is apparently one of the first G5 towers that came out.

Is this older G5 tower fast enough to run Pro Tools 7.4 LE or PT LE 8.0/Digi002 and all that?

I'm assuming that it would also be able to run the latest OS (Leopard)?

Are there any other considerations, such as FW or other things that I need to know in conjunction with a Digi002 controller system? Thanks!!!!

• Members

I've had one of the 1st-gen single 1.8 G5s since 2003:

everymac.com

We've been running PTLE with a 002R for 3 or 4 years now -- up to 7.4 now, I think (I'm a Logic guy; I don't use the PT system). Other than the fact that you need to bounce a few VI or plug-intensive tracks to free up CPU (since it's only a single processor), it runs fine. We track audio to a second internal HD, and use external FW drives for samples and backup (OWC Mercury enclosures).

• Members

Actually, I should amend my post: when we do full band sessions (basic tracks), we still record to an Alesis HD24 (great machine, with the BRC from our old 3-ADAT days). Then the tracks go to PT for ODs (sometimes) and mixing.

I'm sure a dual-CPU G5 will beat the pants off this one, and can do most anything you want.

• Members

I got the G5, and it boots up and appears to be working. It's newer than what my friend said (who couldn't quite remember):

Mac OS 10.4.8

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

3.5G DDR SDRAM

Some more easy questions that I could appreciate some help with.

My friend requested that I pull both the existing HDs out and replace them.

1.) What kind of HDs would you recommend as replacements?

2.) Should I simply get the latest OS X operating system (10.5.x or whatever it is?). Would this by fine for this computer? If you're not sure, where's the best place to get this information?

3.) Is this computer good for Pro Tools LE 7.4/Digi002? It sounds reasonably fast for what I do, I think, as I've never used more than 30 tracks and don't go nuts with the plug-ins, but please let me know.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!!!

• Members

We've had bad luck with Maxtor (2 failures), good luck with Seagate or Western Digital (no failures over the years).

2.) Should I simply get the latest OS X operating system (10.5.x or whatever it is?). Would this by fine for this computer? If you're not sure, where's the best place to get this information?

Not sure -- I'm sticking with 10.4.11 on both my Logic (Mac Pro) and PT (G5) systems, because it works, it's solid, and Leopard offers no compelling reason to upgrade. But try asking at bigbluelounge.com.

3.) Is this computer good for Pro Tools LE 7.4/Digi002?

Absolutely.

• Members

I got the G5, and it boots up and appears to be working. It's newer than what my friend said (who couldn't quite remember):

Mac OS 10.4.8

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

3.5G DDR SDRAM

Some more easy questions that I could appreciate some help with.

My friend requested that I pull both the existing HDs out and replace them.

3.) Is this computer good for Pro Tools LE 7.4/Digi002? It sounds reasonably fast for what I do, I think, as I've never used more than 30 tracks and don't go nuts with the plug-ins, but please let me know.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!!!

I don't use Pro Tools, so I can't comment on that.

However, for the HDD, I have had great luck with Siemens Barracuda drives. You can get a 400 GB Barracuda for only $49.99 from newegg.

I'm still running OS X 10.4.11. I think it is great, and I so far have not found a need to move to Leopard. Definitely get 10.4.11 first and see if it meets your needs before dealing with the headache of the upgrade to Leopard.

Whether the computer is good enough for 30 tracks or not really depends on how many and what type of plugins you run. A single Barracuda drive will easily handle 30 tracks, but you could run out of CPU power if you run many CPU-intensive plugins like reverbs and guitar amp sims.

• Members

I have a hardware reverb, which I use most of the time, and then once in a while I use a plug-in reverb.

I'm asking about purchasing an OS because since I'm going to simply yank the OS, I won't have one (unless I back up the existing main HD and then chuck all of my friend's stuff on the new backup, which I suppose I could do) and may need to purchase one.

• Members

Hmmm... it's good to have an OS DVD around to restart from in case of emergency -- would your friend give you his Tiger DVD(s) (if he has them) to go with the machine? Then you could install 10.4.x on the new boot drive and download the 10.4.11 updater from Apple (COMBO updater recommended).

If not, and you do want a system DVD, Leopard will be easier to obtain -- just hop down to the Apple store or BestBuy. You'll need to hunt a bit for Tiger system discs, but they're around:

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-os-x-tiger-prices.html

• Members

Sorry, one more question....would this work with the G5 (dual 2GHz A1047 model)? I'm installing a brand new operating system (not an update) in the G5 since I don't have the old OS DVD, and feel more comfortable having that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832110040

I don't know the difference between this and the "Family Pack". Just making absolutely sure.

I'll also be getting the SATA drives that Amplayer pointed out in his link. Seems like a great deal.

Thanks!

• Members

I really do!!!! I have two nice friends, actually, since another friend is selling his Digi002 for cheap!!! And I have a bunch of nice virtual friends here on this board helping me sort this all out. So, yeah, I feel lucky.

:thu:

One of my friends works for Apple and he's tossed me a couple of his hand me down iPods over the years. No luck on his G5 though. He's trying to sell it to help fund his FULLY tricked out Mac Pro... it would be like 20k or something! :eek::eek:

• Members

I think this G5 was quite expensive before because it looks like it's selling for about $1200-1300 on eBay even now. It's been sitting around for a while now, and he's on the other side of the world. Very generous. And I'm very excited about the upgrade because the computer I'm using for audio right now is a few months' shy of 9 years old!

Archived