Studs Terkel, 96. RIP

blue2blue

• Members

That LA Times obit is really very well done. Thanks! When you live to be 96 you give them no excuse. ;)

At the Chicago History Museum (once known as the Chicago Historical Society) they have an archive of Terkel's recordings including the Radio shows. For nearly 50 years Studs was on WFMT which had a classical format and some famous folkie programming.

Here's a link to a capsule of that. Unfortunately they are presented in Real format. http://www.studsterkel.org/ghits.php

Studs was a hard-working guy and lifelong lefty. I hope he voted early.

• Members

and Studs would approve.

Chicago was once home to the film industry, until a few bright immigrants realized that Los Angeles had better weather... and sunlight on a more or less predictable schedule.

The only vestige of Chicago's film industry that survived was the "Institutional Film". Movies rented to the education markets about topics like hygiene, manners, dating, and horrible car accidents.

Well, I guess we could all stand to learn a little about dating "don'ts". I offer the following. "Beginning to Date" featuring the wise swim coach. (I think you'll know who brought this character to life.)

This film was made in the time of the blacklist.

The Guardian profiled Terkel in 2004,

But these were dangerous times for a leftist working in the American media. McCarthyism was dedicated to purging potential subversives. Like many others in the media and the entertainment world of the late 1940s, Terkel was a target for the witchfinders. Occasionally, he kept his job, as when the great spiritual and gospel singer Mahalia Jackson intervened to stop CBS from firing him from her radio show with the unanswerably defiant words: "You tell Mr Whatshisname in New York, if they fire Studs to go and find another Mahalia." But this was a rare radiant moment in a grim time, and it was several years before the blacklist was lifted and Terkel got his feet permanently under the table at Chicago's WFMT radio station, and the Studs Terkel Program was born.

Archived