I guess it's time for me to finally share my music with you guys.

Ryst

• Members

I never shared any of my music when we were all over at the Music Player Forum. I never thought it was anywhere near ready. And although Mr. Anderton gave me a spam "get out of jail card free" pass for offering my help to a fellow forum citizen, I never used it either. But I don't think this is spam.;). I also never put a link to my music in my signature either.

My first EP is finishing up soon. My "band" is called Apocrypha. The EP is called "All Bleeding Stops Eventually". The song I am sharing is called "Depression in A Time Of Love".

Everything was written, performed, produced, recorded, and mixed by me.

I just went to a really good Mastering Engineer in town who gave me some mix tweak advice on top of my own notes so I the mix will still have some tweaks. But you'll get the concept of what my music is about in it's current form.

It's intense and emotional. That's the only way I can describe it. I decided against any vocal tuning because A, I don't like it, B, some of my favorite songs aren't perfectly in tune but are most emotional, and C, I can usually sing in tune fine. :lol: And I did my own "quazi mastering" for now until i do the mix tweaks.

So here it is. It might not be most peeps cup of tea around here but hey, ya never know.;)

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/714983684/3ec7f91af9070927b6d68960c15ed6c2

• Moderators

Yeah!!!

I'll tell you what I dig about it. You did the screamo voice thing in a song with a pop type melody. I love that. No sinister riffs, though I love that too. Your mixup of the loud to soft, then the juxtaposition of a major key melody and chord sequence with the intense volume and screamo stuff was just what the genre needs to break it up and make it interesting. Like a cross between Tal Bachman and Ministry! In a good way.

I liked it a lot.

• Members

I, too, can do without the screamo bit. Regardless, the production values are good and shiny here. I'm listening on laptop speakers, and I can hear everything. The writing is good.

This could be radio material in some markets.

• Members

I never shared any of my music when we were all over at the Music Player Forum. I never thought it was anywhere near ready. And although Mr. Anderton gave me a spam "get out of jail card free" pass for offering my help to a fellow forum citizen, I never used it either. But I don't think this is spam.
;)
. I also never put a link to my music in my signature either.

My first EP is finishing up soon. My "band" is called Apocrypha. The EP is called "All Bleeding Stops Eventually". The song I am sharing is called "Depression in A Time Of Love".

Everything was written, performed, produced, recorded, and mixed by me.

I just went to a really good Mastering Engineer in town who gave me some mix tweak advice on top of my own notes so I the mix will still have some tweaks. But you'll get the concept of what my music is about in it's current form.

It's intense and emotional. That's the only way I can describe it. I decided against any vocal tuning because A, I don't like it, B, some of my favorite songs aren't perfectly in tune but are most emotional, and C, I can usually sing in tune fine.
:lol:
And I did my own "quazi mastering" for now until i do the mix tweaks.

So here it is. It might not be most peeps cup of tea around here but hey, ya never know.
;)

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/714983684/3ec7f91af9070927b6d68960c15ed6c2

I listened to few seconds of it. Good! Actually very good!

It reminds me of the soundtrack to the Sylvester Stallone movie Cobra.

It's the kind of song you play when you want to f***** {censored} up!

AI

• Members

Yeah!!!

I'll tell you what I dig about it. You did the screamo voice thing in a song with a pop type melody. I love that. No sinister riffs, though I love that too. Your mixup of the loud to soft, then the juxtaposition of a major key melody and chord sequence with the intense volume and screamo stuff was just what the genre needs to break it up and make it interesting. Like a cross between Tal Bachman and Ministry! In a good way.

I liked it a lot.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it, Lee! And you totally got the whole pop type chord progression over some angry vocals. That's always been something i've enjoyed doing.

It's funny what you said about what the genre needs right now. I wrote this song back in 2002. And it's arrangement and instrumentation is pretty much the same as it is in my newest version.

I have about 5-6 "old" songs from a few years back that i never really finished because I do everything myself and i never thought it was worthy to put out. But now I feel like I'm at the point where sonically things are sounding good enough that i can pursue all these goals and dreams I have because I finally have something sonically that doesn't suck too bad .:lol:

So my first EP will have 3 older songs (including this one) that I finally recorded well enough to put them to rest once and for all. I couldn't put out my new stuff until my old songs were done right. It's a great feeling.

As soon as I am done with this EP, I'll immediately start on the next one (while starting to play live again) and it may have 1-2 "old songs" on it but for the most part it will be new stuff that I've written recently.

As far as the "screamo" thing it's unfortunate that it became a "style" over a way of expressing yourself. I never ever thought of my music as "screamo". Not do I even listen to much "heavy" or "aggressive" music. I've been a screamer my whole life. Every since I was a baby. Constantly screaming. And growing up I got a lot of practice by having screaming fights with my mom. So it's always felt like something i had to do to let out my energy or emotions. It was and still is a necessity. It's kind of a shame that some people will hear it and think that I'm doing it for "stylistic reasons". But at the same time, i don't care. My emotion comes thru in the music and that's all that matters. Thanks again for listening!

• Members

Nicely done, Ryst. I think your production is really in line with this kind of music. I think your influences show through pretty easily, but there's nothign wrong with that. Well done.

You could hear the ghost of Tom Waits that easily, huh?;)

• Members

Unusual considering your avatar looks like Mr. Cleaver !!

I went through an Ozzy stage when I was young but the new stuff now is a bit too grating for me. I also like more uplifting lyrics. Negative lyrics , I believe, can cause depression.

As to the production quality, it is what it should be for this type of music. My daughter got me to listen to System of a Down, and I'll listen to it occasionally. It is on my USB stick in my car. Speaking of CAR. I like to put music like yours through a COMPRESSOR before playing in my car radio. Otherwise, the quite parts disappear under the windnoise and roar of the engine.

Dan

• Members

Ah, the overheads pinching through choruses... But that's just coming from the kick and snare. Sounds pretty great otherwise. :phil:

Archived