The Sound of My Jaw Hitting the Floor

russrags

• Members

Awsome. People in the crowd didnt seem like they were that impressed:S

Maybe they were hoping for Mozart.

Ultimately what you play -- the musical content -- does have some importance. I was quite impressed by her skill but I found the music... let's say... uninvolving.

• Members

Child prodigies just make me sad.

Aww, come on, it's just a Rush song.

I could play that song when I was 13. (the year it came out)

not like that, though...

even though she did hit a few clams, and didn't quite have some of the correct notes.

The "guitar" solo was real good.

I wonder where she got the drum track from?

• Members

IIRC, this was for a Yamaha press/dealer event in Japan about five years ago, showing off the capabilities of the keyboard. The same girl has done versions of "Carry On My Wayward Son" and other classic rock fodder. To me, it's obvious that she's aping the notes, but doesn't have any feel for the tunes. She probably doesn't even like the music.

And yes, Cooter: I played a lot of Rush in a cover band when I was 14/15. Back then it seemed cool, or something. :D

Anyway, it would be neat to see what she plays like when she's doing something she wants to do, and not being a human robot for a dealer show.

• Members

I have to say I'm more impressed by the young player in question than I am by the instrument (or the musical selections). There's one guitar sound that's OK but then things drop off pretty quick, sound-satisfaction-wise. I don't hate a couple of the organ sounds.

Maybe they should cut to the chase and try having her cover Vanilla Fudge.

• Members
To me, it's obvious that she's aping the notes, but doesn't have any feel for the tunes. She probably doesn't even
the music......Anyway, it would be neat to see what she plays like when she's doing something she wants to do, and not being a human robot for a dealer show.

Wow............ tough room. She is very talented and did an amazing job on the song, especially for 11 years old. :cool:

• Members

She is very talented and did an amazing job on the song, especially for 11 years old.
:cool:

Is she? Did she? I don't think those are facts at all. I think she did fine, and played pretty well. I think that I'd be proud of my kid if he practiced those songs and played them as she did, but a lot of us have kids that do things we're proud of.

Russ' original post stated his jaw hit the floor, which is fine. Mine did not, neither when I first saw this nor on the repeat viewing. It's pretty good for an 11-year-old, and that's not an insult, Jotown. I'm sure you know there are some 11-year-olds out there who've already learned to also play with feeling, and that's way more impressive to me. But my tastes don't have to be the same as yours, or anyone's. And I also started doing recitals when I was nine or ten... I know how it feels.

So, she did alright. Good effort, kid. :)

• Members

I'm liking her stage presence: beret and boa. I can see a future star if she

digs into music more and starts writing her own material and gets a great

singer. Heck, maybe she's a decent singer.

At 11 my parents had an electric organ in the house, I was four years

away from getting my first real guitar but had cheap toy guitars lying

around (an emenee special with a plastic fretboard and and a fake

chipboard hollowbody telecaster shaped abomination).

If I had parental support from an early age like that there's no telling

what I might be playing today.

But, might this girl get burned out early and stop playing before she

turns 18? Only time will tell.

• Members

Wow............ tough room. She is very talented and did an amazing job on the song, especially for 11 years old.
:cool:

Agreed about the young lady! It just seems like these transcriptions of these works* are a bit of a waste of her talent, kinda novelty stuff. (Appropriate, I guess, for showing off the instrument, although the instrument doesn't strike me as nearly as impressive as the performer.)

With re tough rooms: I wouldn't say this thread/forum is as tough as the room they shot the vid in (although I only stuck for the end and splattering of half-hearted applause for the second tune, the Kansas thing -- but I note that someone else commented on a less-than-adulatory response from the crowd on the first vid).

*That shouldn't really be construed as a slag on Kansas or Rush, I know they have many fans. But these versions just seem to me to be pretty gimmicky.

• Members

Rush is probably my favorite band...but you gotta accept and even dish out the stigma that goes with it.

I caught an extended interview with Rush a while back and they seemed to be very comfortable with their place in the hierarchy of putative coolness... and let's face it, wouldn't you rather have a small army of really fervent fans for decades than have the momentary adulation of all the hipsters for 15 minutes? Rush seem to have few illusions about their hipness quotient -- and I found that quite winning. They were not only down to earth, they were pretty funny. I quite liked them as people.

Archived