X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Reading

Considering we are mid Summer, I figured its a good time to start discussing what we`re all reading...

In The Woods by Tana French
    Normally, I don`t read books like this (mysteries) but wanted to lighten up my reading which has been really heavy of late so I figured this would do the trick. Good story but a little disappointing towards the end, perhaps too realistic.

Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
    This is my second read. First read it over the summer of `07 and keep being drawn to this amazing book. Not necessarily an easy read but if you read it slowly, I think it will give you some new perspective. I think this book deserves an entire semester or two to be studied properly, its that deep. So much for light reading.

Only Love Is Real by Brian Weiss
    About finding your soulmate(s) from past lives. I`ll leave it at that.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    For some reason, I`ve been drawn to these books of late. Another classic about society losing its perspective... sort of along the lines of 1984 and Fahrenheit (which is going to be my next read). I read Fahrenheit 3 times already, keep thinking about it and how much society is fallen into similiar traps. Scary...

If anything, these books get the creative ideas flowing for me.

I love the book threads!!

Don Quixote de la Mancha - Miguel de Cervantes
    I'd never read it. This is being taken slowly and it's very funny. Sits next to "the throne"

Travels With Charley: In Search of America - John Steinbeck
    I read this when I was 20 and loved it so I'm at it again. I was reminded of this book while reading Cervantes' description of Quixote's horse named Rocinante. In the translator's foreword he discusses the meaning of the word, "Without equal" I believe was the meaning. A joke because Quixote's horse is old and skinny. Steinbeck names his new truck / overhead camper Rocinante. and like Quixote, he sets out on his journey of adventure. Sits on my bedside table currently.

And with those, which are on again, off again, I'm currently engrossed in the mystery genre. I like diving into a popular genre and reading all the best that particular niche has to offer. I take in maybe 1 mystery novel a week this past year.

John Connelly's The Reapers
    Micheal Connelly's The Poet
    Meg Gardiner's China Lake series
    Harlan Coben (disposable yet so fun)
    James Lee Burke's Swan Peak (he's particularly good)

Comment

A Short Histroy of Nearly Everything- Bill Bryson

The story of science and the men and women behind it. Funny and informative

Comment

I read Fahrenheit 3 times already, keep thinking about it and how much society is fallen into similiar traps. Scary...

Have you tried any Phillip K. Dick?

Comment

The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie.

Comment

The Inferno - Dante
            Talk about heavy reading... sheesh. I think I've been at this book for 3 months. I can only take it in small doses.

His Needs/Her Needs
            Great book to learning the idiosyncracies (sp?) of women, and learn a little more about myself as well.
            spacey and melodic guitar experiments: www.myspace.com/goawaysnow

Comment

Same old fare with me....all year long; Steinbeck and Dickens entire catalog over and over.
              Any book on WW11...I like to immerse myself in indepth (somewhat obscure) facets of the War...right now I'm into the Polish Expats who escaped the squeeze of the Germans and Russians and made their way to safety, some traveling thousands of miles to form up in Divisions supplied by the Brits to redeem and avenge.
              Right now I'm reading about the 15th Lancers, one of the Polish Units that finally catured the Monastary at Monte Cassino from crack German Paras.

I was obliged to read scores of books that I didn't really care for while working on my Masters in English Lit.
              Now I read for enjoyment.
              In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One-eyed Man is King.

Comment

Have you tried any Phillip K. Dick?

Nope but I`ll check it out. Thanks Lee.

btw- I should mention video series as well... I watched this years ago and was having a conversation with a friend yesterday who was equally affected by it...

The Power Of Myth by Joseph Campbell (DVD)
                You can also get the transcript in book form but the DVD has artwork and film to correspond with what they`re talking about. Its an interview with Bill Moyer (PBS) and Campbell discussing his books.

Comment

Luke, have you read Warlords by Simon Berthon , Joanna Potts

It is a really cool acccount of WWII through the eyes Churchhill, Roosevelt, Hitler, and Stalin. It follows their day to day, decision making and thought processes through the war. Very well done

Ghoust Soldiers by Hampton Sides was also really good

A cool account of a Ranger raid behind enemy lines in the Phillippines to rescue POWs, survivors of the Batan Death March

Comment

Same old fare with me....all year long; Steinbeck and Dickens entire catalog over and over.
                    Any book on WW11...I like to immerse myself in indepth (somewhat obscure) facets of the War...right now I'm into the Polish Expats who escaped the squeeze of the Germans and Russians and made their way to safety, some traveling thousands of miles to form up in Divisions supplied by the Brits to redeem and avenge.
                    Right now I'm reading about the 15th Lancers, one of the Polish Units that finally catured the Monastary at Monte Cassino from crack German Paras.

I was obliged to read scores of books that I didn't really care for while working on my Masters in English Lit.
                    Now I read for enjoyment.

I went through a WWII interest years ago, too heavy reading for a 19 year old but for some reason, felt the need to do so. Very disturbing reading and to this day, I have no desire to get back into it. As for reading for pleasure, thats funny because I find myself interested in all the classics I read back in HS and college. Now that I`m older, I appreciate the writing more.

Comment

For some reason, I`ve been drawn to these books of late. Another classic about society losing its perspective... sort of along the lines of 1984 and Fahrenheit (which is going to be my next read). I read Fahrenheit 3 times already, keep thinking about it and how much society is fallen into similiar traps. Scary...

I'd suggest adding Huxley's Brave New World to complete the dystopian trilogy

In some ways, I think we see a modern reflection of that in post-cyberpunk
                      maybe
                      Zeitgeist - Sterling
                      Pattern Recogntion - Gibson
                      Snow Crash (or possibly Diamond Age) - Stephenson

Comment

Good stuff slight-return... more books to check out.

Comment

The Inferno - Dante
                          Talk about heavy reading... sheesh. I think I've been at this book for 3 months. I can only take it in small doses.

Make sure you don't stop with Inferno, without reading Purgatorio and Paradisio it really loses something.

I have been reading

Peter The Great and Angela's Ashes... the later seems all the more poignant since F.M.'s passing...

Comment

Okay, it's time to lower the intellectual tone

I recently bought an 'adult version' box-set of the Harry Potter books. I'm currently nearing the end of 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'

I'm not sure what 'adult version' refers to. Maybe it's that the covers are darker in tone, or maybe it's that Hermione takes it up the trumper in 'The Deathly Hallows'

Harry Potter box-set

a selection of my songs: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101

my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SaulTiberiusNads

Comment

or maybe it's that Hermione takes it up the trumper in 'The Deathly Hallows'

Comment

Working...
                              X