Is Journey really worth an $80 arena seat?

• Members

After ticketmaster charges, nosebleed seats are $30-50, relatively poor midlevel seats are $70, and floor/club/decent lower and mid-level seats are $80. They have seats in row H on the floor available if I want to Go Large. The wifey would love to see 'em (thinking Xmas present here), but I don't think she'd like 'em that much, when there's so much jewelry and books and whatnot that are fun to unwrap. What do YOU think? Thanks! :wave:

• Members

I'm not cool. And so even though I listen to Javanese gamelan, African field recordings from the 1940s, obscure dub, indie bands, bizarre experimental stuff, and Silverlake hipsters think I have cool CDs and LPs, I'm just not all that cool.

And here's partially why.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and announce that I actually like Journey. Both Journey before Steve Perry, when they were more, I don't know, "semi-proggy," as well as with him. Yes, Steve Perry-era Journey are corporate paint-by-numbers rock. Yes, the music's often schmaltzy. Yes, the trite storybook lyrics bite major ass.

Whether it's because it brings back a lot of great memories or because I actually like the music, I'm not entirely sure. And I realize it's totally uncool.

That said, I would not go to see Journey. The new singer, sure, he can sing, but...I dunno...why?

Here. Watch this video instead. This is the funniest music video you'll see all month!!!!

[YOUTUBE]tgEHOM21j3s[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I can still hear those songs ringing in my head from all the 80s airplay they got. The really good stuff on their first two albums never got much airplay.

But now you can hear it for free right here:

[YOUTUBE]xhRranNK4lE[/YOUTUBE]

'Course, it ain't very funny. For that, see the video above.... :D

• Members

After ticketmaster charges, nosebleed seats are $30-50, relatively poor midlevel seats are $70, and floor/club/decent lower and mid-level seats are $80. They have seats in row H on the floor available if I want to Go Large. The wifey would love to see 'em (thinking Xmas present here), but I don't think she'd like 'em that much, when there's so much jewelry and books and whatnot that are fun to unwrap. What do YOU think? Thanks!
:wave:

Depends on you and your wife really. If she wouldn't love it, than spend your money elsewhere.

Sounds pricey to me. Especially since they're touring with that fake singer.

• Members

My daughter and I had a bonding moment last summer, we went to see them in East Stroudsburg next biggest town is 'Bumble{censored}' ,PA.

She's a big Journey fan...plan was to catch the concert, spend the night there and go visit family members in Wilkes-Barre PA. next day.

I have never been a Journey fan...the only song I liked was 'the Party's Over' because of that great guitar intro by Neil.

Anyway, she hated the new lead singer, said he dance like a puppet...I gave her the old 'You can't go Home Anymore' ala Thomas Wolfe.

We went to Wilkes-Barre the next day, hooked up with family...went to a Hotel/club called 'The Woodlands' ...caught a great local Blues/Rock Band that night...I went back to my room about 1 am, and my crazy daughter went on to dance the night away to a retro-soul band playing in the next room...Sunday brunch next morning and we were both on our way home with raging noise/booze hangovers...but with big grins on our faces.

Great weekend.;)

• Members

I interviewed them once many, many years ago and I gotta say, Steve Perry was about as nice a guy as you'll ever find. Absolutely no attitude or ego, just a guy who really, really liked to sing and fortunately, had a great set of pipes so he could. Usually it's the job of the interviewer to make the artist feel at ease, but he immediately put me at ease just because he was just so positive. He and Quincy Jones were two of my absolute favorite interview subjects.

• Members

, just a guy who really, really liked to sing and fortunately, had a great set of pipes so he could. Usually it's the job of the interviewer to make the artist feel at ease, but he immediately put
me
at ease just because he was just so positive. He and Quincy Jones were two of my absolute favorite interview subjects.

you mean you interviewed someone who doesn't exist but had a great set of pipes?

• Members

I interviewed them once many, many years ago and I gotta say, Steve Perry was about as nice a guy as you'll ever find. Absolutely no attitude or ego, just a guy who really, really liked to sing and fortunately, had a great set of pipes so he could. Usually it's the job of the interviewer to make the artist feel at ease, but he immediately put
me
at ease just because he was just so positive. He and Quincy Jones were two of my absolute favorite interview subjects.

I've heard really good things about both those people, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Jimmy Page was super super nice, and so were Peter Buck and Bill Berry of R.E.M.

• Members

I interviewed them once many, many years ago and I gotta say, Steve Perry was about as nice a guy as you'll ever find. Absolutely no attitude or ego, just a guy who really, really liked to sing and fortunately, had a great set of pipes so he could. Usually it's the job of the interviewer to make the artist feel at ease, but he immediately put
me

If that's true, then it's quite a shame what horrible rumors have been floating around about the guy over the years.

• Members

I wouldn't pay $80 to see Journey. I wouldn't pay $8 either, so my opinion probably doesn't apply to the original question. :D I just find Journey's music to be too calculated - paint by numbers pop rock. No thanks.

More like; Journey - a band that left Santana because the wanted to make artist money rather than sideman money.

How about Journey: A band who brought Steve Perry on board because he was an amazing singer and none of them were.

Gregg Rolie can sing great. Just not like a teen idol.

Archived