I really am moving to Hollywood.

Ryst

• Members

So our week long trip out to California was PERFECT. My wife and I renewed our vowels in Laguna Beach. A few feet from the ocean at sunset.

We partied a lot, met a lot of new friends (friends of friends and family) and connected with old friends, made some good business connections too. Went to San Clemente too. Never been there before. Ate seafood on the pier at Fisherman's. The beach was fabulous. Way more than what I was expecting. Did a {censored} ton of other things too.

I never did get to try out for the producer because he wanted someone local. And he found his guy. But that's fine.

Yep. We are moving to Hollywood. Every time I get out there the vibe just gets better and better. I've been wanting to move for years and it's finally happening.

My wife and I are looking at places to rent. She's also looking for a good job. She is an immigration paralegal in Atlanta. While we were there we checked out Hollywood and Studio City (and some other areas) for rent.

I'm very close to getting officially hired by a company out there....I would like to tell you guys who it is but since it hasn't happened yet, I will wait till it's settled. If it doesn't happen, that will put a wrench in our plans...but it's quite promising right now. I'll know a lot more after AES. I have no idea how much it will pay but once I know, then I'll get a much better idea about everything.

I'm taking some acting classes here soon because the move won't be for a couple months. Finishing my EP and a lot of other musical projects too before the move.

We have great friends and support out there. It's where I need to be and my wife loves it there too. Even if we only last a year, at least we will do it.

Thanks to everyone here for their insight and tips on everything. It just feels right. We are trying to downsize right now because we know we will have a much smaller place to live (at first;)).

It's exciting and scary. It's exactly what we need in our lives at this moment.

Anyway, just wanted to share.:wave:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

My wife and I renewed our vowels in Laguna Beach.

A, E, I, O, U, or if you're really special, Y?

Yep. We are moving to Hollywood. Every time I get out there the vibe just gets better and better. I've been wanting to move for years and it's finally happening.

My wife and I are looking at places to rent. She's also looking for a good job.

I envy you and your wife. I've been wanting to move to California for many years - Hollywood isn't for me, I've been looking a little further inland. I don't want to go for the glitz or opportunities, I want to go for the weather. But when you've lived in the same house for nearly 30 years, lived in the same area for 65 years, and have accumulated a lot of stuff that you can't get rid of, and don't have a job to go to that's paying for the move, it's really hard to actually get up and to.

We are trying to downsize right now because we know we will have a much smaller place to live (at first;)).

See, that's where my biggest problem is. I'm looking for a house at least as big as my present one, on a retirement income. Now THAT's scary.

Best of luck to you in the job and the new life. It sounds like you're really ready to do it.

• Members

A, E, I, O, U, or if you're really special, Y?

See, that's where my biggest problem is. I'm looking for a house at least as big as my present one, on a retirement income. Now THAT's scary.

If you're in the Falls Gulch near Scranton, PA,... good luck with that.

Scranton:

# 4 br,3 ba,1-

• Members

Dude, Laguna Beach is a WORLD away from Hollywood. I'll implore you one last time to reconsider, and move to a different area of LA.

What does Laguna Beach have to do with Hollywood? We renewed our vowels there so my cousin could come. That's also where the reverend lives and since he did the ceremony for free, Laguna was the best place. But what does your comment mean?

• Members

So our week long trip out to California was PERFECT. My wife and I renewed our vowels in Laguna Beach.

"Do you take this 'A' for better or worse, in sickness and in health?"

"Do you promise to love and cherish this 'E' till death do you part?"

Yep. We are moving to Hollywood.

Are you moving to Hollywood? Or Laguna Beach?

Hollywood is Hollywood. Hollywood does not equal California.

My wife and I are looking at places to rent.

in Laguna Beach? Not one of the cheaper areas in Hollyw-er, California.

• Members

I envy you and your wife. I've been wanting to move to California for many years - Hollywood isn't for me, I've been looking a little further inland. I don't want to go for the glitz or opportunities, I want to go for the weather.

Inland is often hot. Do you want hot weather in the summer? Do you like a few months with temperatures in the 90s or 100s?

Also, I gotta say, in most places in California, there's precious little glitz. For some reason, people love to say "glitz" in the same sentence as California, but there's just lots of people here, many of whom speak Spanish, and many of whom are desperately looking for work.

• Members

What does Laguna Beach have to do with Hollywood?

Damn near nothing.

We renewed our vowels there so my cousin could come.

Vows. You renewed vows. Not vowels.

But what does your comment mean?

That you should seriously consider living someplace in the LA area other than Hollywood. That there are elements of Hollywood that make it not a great place to live. that you can live within a relatively short drive away from Hollywood and have a remarkably better lifestyle. I can't say it more clearly than that, and I have lived in Hollywood, and in Studio City, and in the LA area since 1975. I would highly advise against moving to hollywood specifically.

• Members

What does Laguna Beach have to do with Hollywood? We renewed our vowels there so my cousin could come. That's also where the reverend lives and since he did the ceremony for free, Laguna was the best place. But what does your comment mean?

Jeff is just trying to help you. It's out of a concern for your well being, not just to give you a rise for the hell of it.

I am not from the Los Angeles area (that includes Hollywood, Laguna Beach, Woodland Hills, etc. - all different neighborhoods as Jeff and Ken say), but I grew up in Southern California and have been to the LA area enough to know that you should listen seriously to any advice these two gentlemen have to offer about it.

• Members

Jeff is just trying to help you. It's out of a concern for your well being, not just to give you a rise for the hell of it.

Yup, precisely.

I won't say too many bad things about Hollywood. Some people live there and like it. But you'll find that almost no people who really work in the entertainment industry actually live IN Hollywood. They live in the Valley, in West LA, in Santa Monica, and so on. There's a reason for that. Ken's crime chart above is a good one.

I personally wouldn't want to live in the Hollywood area either. The greater LA area - sure... but not Hollywood.

I'm about 60 miles inland from Hollywood, and that suits me just fine. Close enough that I can get there in an hour or a bit less (assuming traffic is cooperating - a assumption you can't always make, regardless of the time of day or night), but far enough away that I'm not part of the Hollywood scene on a daily basis. Yes, it's warmer inland - a good 10-15 degrees, on average - but it's not as bad as say, Arizona. Or for that matter, any place in the deep South, where you have to deal with the humidity...

• Members

Yup, precisely.

I won't say too many bad things about Hollywood. Some people live there and like it. But you'll find that almost no people who really work in the entertainment industry actually live IN Hollywood. They live in the Valley, in West LA, in Santa Monica, and so on. There's a reason for that. Ken's crime chart above is a good one.

Yup. Also, Burbank, Studio City, La Canada Flintridge, Glendale, Hollywood Hills, Sherman Oaks, Los Feliz, etc. are all popular areas for people who work in the industry. Very close, but yet, not TOO close.

• Members

Damn near nothing.

Vows. You renewed vows. Not vowels.

That you should seriously consider living someplace in the LA area other than Hollywood. That there are elements of Hollywood that make it not a great place to live. that you can live within a relatively short drive away from Hollywood and have a remarkably better lifestyle. I can't say it more clearly than that, and I have lived in Hollywood, and in Studio City, and in the LA area since 1975. I would highly advise against moving to hollywood specifically.

You confused me, Jeff. Now I understand.:thu: Thanks. Is Studio City decent in your opinion?

• Members

I never was upset about what Jeff said. Just confused. No one here ever pisses me off.....well, at least not since I stopped viewing the Political Forum.;)

• Members

Is Studio City decent in your opinion?

I lived there for a short while in the late '80s, right off Ventura Boulevard.

I would say that living there is preferable in some ways to living in Hollywood. You're just over the other side of the hill, so it's convenient if you think you'll need to be in Hollywood on a regular basis.

Personally, I'd look at other places, but we're getting into subjective tastes now. There are many, many neighborhoods in the greater metro LA area, and each has its own advantages/disadvantages. I'd keep an open mind about various areas until you find one that's good for you and your wife.

• CMS Author

Inland is often hot. Do you want hot weather in the summer? Do you like a few months with temperatures in the 90s or 100s?

I don't mind the California heat as much as I mind the Virginia damp cold and humid hot.

They have air conditioners out there, don't they?

Archived