finally a justification for Phil Collins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I love that commercial. I heard about it on NPR and could not imagine what the hell they were going on about. Now that I've seen it... :thu:

How it ties in with Cadbury's I don't quite get but that's OK. I love the way "Phil" is loosening his neck muscles waiting for his big entry, then... :badump:

• Members

I never got why musicians love to hate Phil Collins. He was a musician in a pretty cool band who got a chance to do more and ran with it. He didn't invent the gated snare so that everyone would copy it. His engineer found an actually very cool sound that just got over used after the success of In the air tonight. I am not a huge Phil Collins fan, but he has had a great career and he has gotten to do some amazing things that most musicians only fantsize about.

Musicians can be such haters.

• Members

I never got why musicians love to hate Phil Collins. He was a musician in a pretty cool band who got a chance to do more and ran with it.

You answered your own question. Phil Collins was a musician in a pretty cool band. He got a chance to do more and ran with it...in the wrong direction!

Imagine if Robert Frost chose to stop pursuing his poetry and instead went to work writing greeting cards and ad slogans.

• Members

Imagine if Robert Frost chose to stop pursuing his poetry and instead went to work writing greeting cards and ad slogans.

"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" would have a similar rhyme scheme but be only one stanza long and have a more upbeat ending... none of this dreary miles to go before I sleep junk. Who needs that?

;)

• Members

You answered your own question. Phil Collins
was
a musician in a pretty cool band. He got a chance to do more and ran with it...
in the wrong direction!

And that is your opinion. But you have never had a record label offer you a million dollar deal to make records. And maybe Phill Collins was just being who he was and he wrote corny pop songs. Who are you to - or anyone else - to say that you could have writen, sang or performed better songs if you had the chance?

Music is a very subjective things. Phil Collins has millions of fans who love his music and think that he is great. How many million of fans do you have?:confused:

As I said; musicians are such haters.:)

• Members

I never got why musicians love to hate Phil Collins. He was a musician in a pretty cool band who got a chance to do more and ran with it. He didn't invent the gated snare so that everyone would copy it. His engineer found an actually very cool sound that just got over used after the success of In the air tonight. I am not a huge Phil Collins fan, but he has had a great career and he has gotten to do some amazing things that most musicians only fantsize about.

Musicians can be such haters.

He should have stayed behind the drum kit and shut his mouth. :o

• Members

Music is a very subjective things. Phil Collins has millions of fans who love his music and think that he is great. How many million of fans do you have?
:confused:

Yes music is subjective. I'll agree to that. But having lots of fans and financial success has nothing to do with artistic success. Lots of people watch "reality" TV shows. Does that make those shows the artistic equivalent of a serious documentary film?

I think that musicians dislike the sort of pre-packaged, predictable stuff that latter day Phil Collins embodies.

• Members

But you have never had a record label offer you a million dollar deal to make records.

Well, there we have it, folks: per Jotown, the best musicians are those that have been offered the most money.

So, Jotown believes that these are among the world's greatest musicians:

- Whitney Houston

- Jay-Z

- Mariah Carey

- Britney Spears

- Celine Dion

- Garth Brooks

Nice picks! You have great taste, Jo. We should definitely judge people by their income. All along, I was under the mistaken impression that we should enjoy musicians based on their artistic output, but thank you for clarifying this for us all.

• Members

I think the only album I bought with Phil collins on it was back in high school in the 70s when He played with Genesis. The only reason why I bought it was I was going with some chick liked them and she was real hot. The background music worked wonders.

I didnt think the album was all that great. and when anyone brought up the bands name, I was like yea I head them but I wasnt into them at all. It was at a time when other bands were into the whole synth rock thing with Yes leading the pack. ELP, King Krimson, Gentle Giant, and others were hitting it big, but it wasnt exactly my go to music. Quit buying Yes albums after their second. I may have bought two ELP, and the rest, I wouldnt know them if I heard them.

So by the time Collins started doing his solo stuff, he was pretty much retread in my book. The only reason why I know his music is because the radio stations burned him out playing his stuff 24/7. He did do an album with Philip Baily someone gave me that had a few decent tunes on it, but I cant remember the names right now. I think it was probibly Baily's influence that made it more appealing than Phils stuff anyway.

• Moderators

I'm not a Genesis fan. I'm not a Phil Collins fan either. But... I always thought he was a phenomenal drummer. Anyone remember Brand X? So when he began singing for Genesis, I thought, "Wow, not bad for a drummer. Who knew?" Still didn't care for Genesis. Then I heard Collins solo In The Air Tonight. It's easy to look back on that now and think pffft. But come on...

...the first time you heard In the Air Tonight and that BLucka, gah doom go dooom blam, whatever that fill is coming in, you know it hit you. And he sang the song great. OK?

Still not a fan but... just sayin'.

• Members

Lemme clarify my position re: Collins.

I don't hate him but I don't think he's all that great.

What put a lotta people off may be that he made a lotta money, some by the mere fact he tried to follow Pete Gabriel's shoes, some by certain aspects of his personal life...but while even I like some of his stuff (such as the tune in the commercial), I think he definitely drifted into an area that tended to pander to the low expectations of his audience.

OK, lotsa pop musicians do that...the Eagles, Thomas "Fats" Waller, some mentioned above, can be found guilty of playing way below their skill level for larger commercial success & honestly that's something for each to decide.

Paul McCartney serves up some marginal stuff now & again but he also maintains an edge (Fireman...Oobu Joobu).

Many wonder WTF the Roots are doing on Jimmy Fallon's show (or earlier, Branford Marsalis on Leno).

Hard to figure the whole world out to our satisfaction, sometimes.

What I personally found annoying about Collins was a tendency to pay tribute to Motown records & things he clearly liked (note aspects of his song style & productions imitative of John Lennon) by making inferior versions of them.

Still, I like some of his stuff & the offering here was intended in the spirit of a light-hearted joke.

Archived