U2 live on Youtube now

John Sayers

• Members

cuz its a football stadium!

those audience mics are picking up echo for days

That's why I hate Stadium concerts. Unless you are of the income bracket to afford a ticket in the first 30 or so rows, you can't see {censored} and are hearing massively delayed audio. Most people are staring at the video screen anyway, which isn't much different than what people are doing on YouTube.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to concerts, but if you can't see the performer and the sound quality's crap, why bother?

• Members

:lol:

hey Ken, I`m curious, what did you pay for your tix? I`d love to see U2 at least once but I cannot justify paying $200 for nose bleed seats.

I believe the tickets were $56 before the service fees, and I don't remember how much the whole thing was altogether. We did not have stunning seats by any stretch, but good enough that we could see the giant spectacle and everything. As I said, the sound was surprisingly good for a stadium show because of the circular array in the middle (more direct sound vs. ambient).

For those of you who don't know, I really dislike stadium shows. This is by far the largest show I've ever attended (96,000!!! :eek: ). Too many people, too far away, typically piss-poor sound, traffic hassles, etc. But my friend invited me, and we took a train and a shuttle to get there instead of driving there. On the way back, we walked from the Rose Bowl to Memorial Park in Old Town Pasadena, about a 1.5 mile (~2.5km) walk because the shuttles were jammed. We had a great time, but I can't possibly exaggerate the crushing onslaught of people outside the Rose Bowl.

But that said, it was a thoroughly enjoyable show, and the band of course sounded really good. Some of the new songs came off better than the latest offering, in my opinion, and The Edge sounded fantastic as usual.

Ernest, U2 announced that next year, they are going to end the North American part of the tour at the New Meadowlands Stadium. The only reason I know this is because as I was writing this post, I received an email from my friend forwarding me more info about the show.

I will probably have a few photos to post on my website, but it's not gonna be for a few days.

• Members

In the past he's been really grating to me, but he was, at least by my perspective, more gracious and subdued. He still does the larger-than-life Christ-like poses while bathed in light and intones names of the greats (MLK, Aung San Suu Kyi, others), but genuinely seems to want to help people by urging people to participate in one.org (I think it is) and help Aung San Suu Kyi.

• Members

...genuinely seems to want to help people by urging people to participate in one.org (I think it is) and help Aung San Suu Kyi.

Major props for his humanitarian projects, but he REALLY could tone down displays of his self-importance.

• Members

Hey, he's a frontman. Good frontmen usually have big egos. :D But at least he's putting his self importance to good use :lol:. I really do think that unlike a lot of celebrity humanitarians, he's actually done his homework and knows what he's talking about WRT to the causes he supports.

And yeah, stadium shows mostly suck, but quite a few artists have spent enough money to get quality people and gear and actually make the sound really, really good. I've been very impressed with the sound at the last few big shows I've been to, and I wasn't in a great seat at any of them. They kinda seem to have mastered the art of getting good sound in huge venues - those who can be bothered to and are willing to spend the money, anyway (and for those ticket prices, they'd better spend the money).

• Members

The better stadium shows I've seen were the Stones on the "Steel Wheels" tour. Oddly intimate for the LA Coliseum. :idk:

On the other end of the scale was Pink Floyd on the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour, at the Rose Bowl. Just balls out bombastic, and I loved it. I think they were trying to prove something to Roger Waters at the time. :idea:

All the rest of the stadium shows (many of them, before I wised up and started seeing shows in smaller venues) I've seen pretty much blew.

• Members

I mostly go to clubs where there are dozens up to several hundred people when I hear music, so going to a place where 96,000 people are is a bit much for me. However, the spectacle, the sound of 96,000 people singing at the top of their lungs, the decent sound quality, and the sight of tens of thousands of cellphones lighting up in a "light wave" were all good aspects of this show. Not to mention that the band was good.

The Black-Eyed Peas were the warm-up group, and Slash came out to play "Sweet Child of Mine". The Black-Eyed Peas are not really my thing, but they have some catchy songs.

• Members

I saw the "Steel Wheels" tour at the Coliseum as well, and enjoyed it.

Ditto. The funniest part was that Guns'N'Roses were trying to steal the show with their "fake breakup" story and they sounded like muddy ass. The minute Keith hit the first chord, the contrast was painful. :lol: The Stones sounded awesome.

• Members

I thought that G&R sounded good at the show and didn't know what Axl was babbling about at the time. In fact, I thought that G&R was good enough and that Slash really sounded good, and was wondering how the Stones were gonna top that. But the Stones came out and...well, they played really well and...I don't know how you would describe it, but the charisma and energy and grooves and all that just worked.

I say this and at the time, I believe was into both bands without having an obvious preference for one or the other. I had seen G&R at some of their infamous Sunset Strip shows (probably Gazzari's) and liked them. But when the Stones came on, I thought they were impressive, an absolute ball of energy and groove that was electric.

At the time (notice how I keep saying "at the time" because things and tastes change over time?), I also kinda liked Living Colour, but thought they sounded awful...I'm talking the sound quality and not necessarily the playing, although I can't be absolutely sure. I'll chalk it up to bad sound.

Archived