Music for Torture

Mr. Botch

• Members

I realize this thread will descend into Political Thread mayhem within a few hours, but I found this list recently published by Newsweek morbidly interesting. Songs used by the US government and military:

Interrogations of Iraqi prisoners: F**k your god, Deicide

Interrogations at CIA prison in Afghanistan: The Real Slim Shady, Eminem

Second battle at Fallujah: Hell's Bells, AC/DC

Interrogations at Gitmo: Sesame Street Theme :poke:

Psychological conditioning of U.S. soldiers: I Love You, Barney :lol:

FBI Siege of the Branch Davidians: These Boots are made for Walkin', Nancy Sinatra

Capture of Panama's Noriega: Welcome to the Jungle, Guns-n-Roses

Barry Manilow and Debbie Boone, used by 7-11's to keep away loiterers, did not make the list. :p

• Members

here's my list:

1) Anything by Frankie Yankovic

2) 'I will always love you' - Whitney Houston

3) Yoko, especially the scat singing on Plastic Ono Band

4) Any rap or hiphop of the 'Cap that whitey's ass' variety

5) Debbie Gibson

There are plenty more, but I suspect most people would be completely broken psychologically after about 20 hours of any of these....

• Members

Almost any new country...particularly the yowling and caterwauling by that chick from Sugarland, the emasculated whining of the Rascal Flatts singer, the atonal grunts and hoots of Toby Keith, or the dying hound delivery of Tim McGraw.

Yes, yes, and yes! I'd rather have bamboo shoots shoved under my nails than be exposed to that stuff for long time periods.

And yes, I'd prefer to listen to eight solid hours of Yoko Ono than 8 minutes of most contemporary country. Gah! :eek:

• Members

here's my list:

1) Anything by Frankie Yankovic

2)
'I will always love you' - Whitney Houston

3) Yoko, especially the scat singing on Plastic Ono Band

4) Any rap or hiphop of the 'Cap that whitey's ass' variety

5) Debbie Gibson

There are plenty more, but I suspect most people would be completely broken psychologically after about 20 hours of any of these....

Back in 2002, Iraq held an "election" so that Saddam Hussein could claim to have his people's support and he actually used Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You" as his official campaign song. As if it weren't bad enough that the Iraqi people were already living under his rule, they also had to endure that song being blared repeatedly on the tv and radio for weeks.

• Members

different culture, same list...

Interrogations of Iraqi prisoners:
F**k your god,
Deicide

Interrogations at CIA prison in Afghanistan:
The Real Slim Shady,
Eminem

Second battle at Fallujah:
Hell's Bells,
AC/DC

Interrogations at Gitmo:
Sesame Street Theme
:poke:

Psychological conditioning of U.S. soldiers:
I Love You,
Barney
:lol:
FBI Siege of the Branch Davidians:
These Boots are made for Walkin',
Nancy Sinatra

Capture of Panama's Noriega:
Welcome to the Jungle,
Guns-n-Roses

that's the 7 songs they play at railway station here, to keep the junkies out

• Members

Music becomes torturous for me when someone is giving a play-by-play about why the song is so great, for example:

1. frat boy screaming, "doode! this is the best part!" every third bar of a Dave Matthews Band song.

2. pretentious jazz snob, eyes closed, moaning multisyllabic words like "inflection" in response to every rhythm change in Bitches Brew.

3. bridal party huddled up singing and acting out the dialog in "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" while a drunken uncle, who looks surprisingly like Meatloaf, largely ignored by the more genteel attendees, is scaring the flower girl with his own rendition.

The psychological impact of music is largely a matter of context.

-Hans

• Members

Music becomes torturous for me when someone is giving a play-by-play about why the song is so great, for example:

1. frat boy screaming, "doode! this is the best part!" every third bar of a Dave Matthews Band song.

2. pretentious jazz snob, eyes closed, moaning multisyllabic words like "inflection" in response to every rhythm change in Bitches Brew.

3. bridal party huddled up singing and acting out the dialog in "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" while a drunken uncle, who looks surprisingly like Meatloaf, largely ignored by the more genteel attendees, is scaring the flower girl with his own rendition.

The psychological impact of music is largely a matter of context.

-Hans

:lol:

Yep,

Stuff like that is why I need my alone time... lots of me time away from the lights and noise. ;)

• Members

You know, it's funny hearing that Yoko stuff... it's not half bad. B52s, Lena Lovich, some others that I can't quite recall. Who knew? Yoko was an
influence!

I remember reading an interview with Kate Pierson where she explicitly said that Yoko was one of her biggest influences.

• Members

Not quite sure that I would say Guns n' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" is torture music, as listed in the capture of Noriega, but to each his own.

If someone were wanting to torture me, Dolly Parton for any extended amount of time would certainly do it. I can handle a small portion of her materials, but there's far too much tremolo in most of her catalog for me to enjoy.

Likewise, Tiny Tim, Slim Whitman and others that over emphasize the vibrato effect annoy me as well. Willy Nelson is borderline on tolerance; I have to be in the mood to listen to him.

I know I'm picking on some big named country artists, but hey, you asked. :p As a personal preference, I could live without any of those mentioned under my torture category. :idk: On the flip side, I could listen to almost every Guns n' Roses song without having a second thought about it. I can't really think of anything they have out that I would change a dial on.

Archived