Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music for Torture

I realize this thread will descend into Political Thread mayhem within a few hours, but I found this list recently published by Newsweek morbidly interesting. Songs used by the US government and military:

Interrogations of Iraqi prisoners: F**k your god, Deicide
    Interrogations at CIA prison in Afghanistan: The Real Slim Shady, Eminem
    Second battle at Fallujah: Hell's Bells, AC/DC
    Interrogations at Gitmo: Sesame Street Theme oke:
    Psychological conditioning of U.S. soldiers: I Love You, Barney
    FBI Siege of the Branch Davidians: These Boots are made for Walkin', Nancy Sinatra
    Capture of Panama's Noriega: Welcome to the Jungle, Guns-n-Roses

Barry Manilow and Debbie Boone, used by 7-11's to keep away loiterers, did not make the list.
    Botch
    Start by admitting, From cradle to tomb,
    Isn't that long a stay.
    Life is a cabaret, old chum, and I love a cabaret...

What? No Yoko!
    Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't "get it". - THX1138

Comment

here's my list:

1) Anything by Frankie Yankovic
      2) 'I will always love you' - Whitney Houston
      3) Yoko, especially the scat singing on Plastic Ono Band
      4) Any rap or hiphop of the 'Cap that whitey's ass' variety
      5) Debbie Gibson

There are plenty more, but I suspect most people would be completely broken psychologically after about 20 hours of any of these....

Comment

If you strap me down to a chair and play non-stop Raffi or most other sing-songy children's songs, I'd probably divulge our country's top secrets within an hour, even if I didn't know any of the secrets.
        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

20 minutes of Jewel songs where she goes into that little girl voice, I'll be confessing to whatever you want.

Comment

"Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks
            Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Almost any new country...particularly the yowling and caterwauling by that chick from Sugarland, the emasculated whining of the Rascal Flatts singer, the atonal grunts and hoots of Toby Keith, or the dying hound delivery of Tim McGraw.
              Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

20 minutes of Jewel songs where she goes into that little girl voice, I'll be confessing to whatever you want.

Yep, that would do it for me as well.

Comment

What? No Yoko!
                  This one should work.
                    "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

That one is tame, compared to this one:
                      (@ 2:40 she sounds alot like SpongeBob laughing!)

Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

^^ that's just wrong. An abuse of tape, even.
                        SupportMusic.com - Help keep music education in your local schools!

Comment

Almost any new country...particularly the yowling and caterwauling by that chick from Sugarland, the emasculated whining of the Rascal Flatts singer, the atonal grunts and hoots of Toby Keith, or the dying hound delivery of Tim McGraw.

Yes, yes, and yes! I'd rather have bamboo shoots shoved under my nails than be exposed to that stuff for long time periods.

And yes, I'd prefer to listen to eight solid hours of Yoko Ono than 8 minutes of most contemporary country. Gah!
                          Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

here's my list:

1) Anything by Frankie Yankovic
                            2) 'I will always love you' - Whitney Houston
                            3) Yoko, especially the scat singing on Plastic Ono Band
                            4) Any rap or hiphop of the 'Cap that whitey's ass' variety
                            5) Debbie Gibson

There are plenty more, but I suspect most people would be completely broken psychologically after about 20 hours of any of these....

Back in 2002, Iraq held an "election" so that Saddam Hussein could claim to have his people's support and he actually used Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You" as his official campaign song. As if it weren't bad enough that the Iraqi people were already living under his rule, they also had to endure that song being blared repeatedly on the tv and radio for weeks.
                            Collapsible Kingdoms bandcamp soundcloud wordpress

Comment

different culture, same list...

Interrogations of Iraqi prisoners: F**k your god, Deicide
                              Interrogations at CIA prison in Afghanistan: The Real Slim Shady, Eminem
                              Second battle at Fallujah: Hell's Bells, AC/DC
                              Interrogations at Gitmo: Sesame Street Theme oke:
                              Psychological conditioning of U.S. soldiers: I Love You, Barney
                              FBI Siege of the Branch Davidians: These Boots are made for Walkin', Nancy Sinatra
                              Capture of Panama's Noriega: Welcome to the Jungle, Guns-n-Roses

that's the 7 songs they play at railway station here, to keep the junkies out

Comment

And yet some 1980's punk rockers claim that Yoko is the mother of punk rock...
                                Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Working...
                                X