So I just bought some trippy new shoes (and not from the spammers here)

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I just got a pair of MBT shoes. They're silly expensive, but I got them on sale, so they're only really expensive now... :D

First impression was "Whoa...this is weird!" But after I walked on them for ten minutes, I got really used to it and it felt good.

These are some of the benefits of the shoes, according to MBT. The idea with the MBT shoes is "natural instability". Perfectly flat walking surfaces don't occur often in nature, so the MBT creates an "uneven" walking surface that causes you to have to balance more and causes your muscles to fire more. But read up on the link if you want to know more because they describe it better than I do.

Anyway, as you might suspect, this is another attempt to address my lower back pain. We'll see in the coming weeks if it works or not and that kind of thing.

• Members

I just got a pair of MBT shoes. They're silly expensive, but I got them on sale, so they're only
really
expensive now...
:D

First impression was "Whoa...this is weird!" But after I walked on them for ten minutes, I got really used to it and it felt good.

These
are some of the benefits of the shoes, according to MBT. The idea with the MBT shoes is "natural instability". Perfectly flat walking surfaces don't occur often in nature, so the MBT creates an "uneven" walking surface that causes you to have to balance more and causes your muscles to fire more. But read up on the link if you want to know more because they describe it better than I do.

Anyway, as you might suspect, this is another attempt to address my lower back pain. We'll see in the coming weeks if it works or not and that kind of thing.

Anyone remember 'Earth Shoes?'

• Members

Interesting - I suppose the original shoe design with a heal was based around the stirrup for horse riding. As it's no longer necessary why not alter the shoe design.

If there's a strange shoe that's supposed to be good for lower back pain, you can pretty much bank on me finding it! :D I've known about this shoe for at least a couple of years now, but thought it was too much money until I found some sales on the shoe.

• Members

wow Lee - they look cool - I've found a shop in Brisbane that has them and I'm off to Brisbane later this week so I'll check them out
:)

Nice! Yeah, there's a place just down the road from me that has them, so it's just a matter of when I have time to get over there and check em out.

• Moderators

Sometimes I think the only shoes I'll ever need are Converse Chuck Taylor's and low top Doc's.

Of course I do need running shoes so... and then there's the black dress shoes for "those meetings"...

I did the Earth Shoes and since the late 70's I haven't been convinced. Docs and Chucks. Oh, and a good pair of sandals in the summer.

Where's the non-confrontational, "Shrugging Shoulders" Smilie? :)

• Members

wow Lee - they look cool - I've found a shop in Brisbane that has them and I'm off to Brisbane later this week so I'll check them out
:)

I have a friend in Brisbane... say high to her for me. Just roll down the window and yell "Hi from Timothy!" anywhere in or near Brisbane. She's got good hearing.

Yeah those things Lee's talking about look cool. Not for me, but very sexy on girls.

• Members

Skechers Shape Ups

I have a pair of these....they look similar. I thought the claims (about exercising the legs more) were nutty, but the idea of rocking into a toe push-off was helpful, so I bought them. Well, I've worn them a number of times on 2 to 5 mile walks and my legs were NEVER this tired in regular walking shoes (I use New Balance.) One of the physiatrists at work recommends all of the rocker bottom shoes for walking. Good luck, hope they help with the back.

• Members

I have a pair of the Vibram 5 Finger shoes...

They are really comfy, but people FREAK when I wear them.....like..."OMG, WTH is wrong with your feet?

I tell them I am reverting to an Ape, feet first...

Seriously, they are oddly comfy, and a nice break from other things...If nothing else, the change spread the load around your feet. I have a knee chair at work and use it the same way....move between it and a reg. chair a couple hours at a time if my back is bugging me..

The Vibrams are really good kayak/beach shoes too.

• Members

I have a pair of the Vibram 5 Finger shoes...

They are really comfy, but people FREAK when I wear them.....like..."OMG, WTH is wrong with your feet?

I tell them I am reverting to an Ape, feet first...

Seriously, they are oddly comfy, and a nice break from other things...If nothing else, the change spread the load around your feet. I have a knee chair at work and use it the same way....move between it and a reg. chair a couple hours at a time if my back is bugging me..

The Vibrams are really good kayak/beach shoes too.

They remind me of some Ninja shoes I had in high school, but only the big toe was separate. The outsole looked similar though. A friend and I both had them and black karate gi

Archived