Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Is Mackie (Loud Tech) REALLY going under?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is a little creepy. If you search Google with the More Options (time filter) on you really won't see any rumors other than a cross-posting in the Live forum and the perpetually angry Tracktion users posting on a competitive mfrs. site. I'd like just a little more substance with my speculation.

huh? check their stock prices.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">band status - &quot;its complicated&quot;</div>

Comment

huh? check their stock prices.

thanks, I thought they went private. Guess not. They went to the Pink Sheets.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=LTEC.PK

Comment

A trusted friend at Mackie told me at the NAMM show that it looked like by the end of 2009 things were solidly on an upswing. But this only means (to me) that they're not going to close the doors. They have some new products in the works, and that's where their focus is.

When it comes down to counting the beans, it's more profitable to them to release a new product and have it sell well than to spend engineering hours writing new drivers for discontinued products. When a company needs to get ahead on their balance sheet, profit often comes ahead of good will. There will be some grumbling and disgruntled "formerly faithful" customers who swear they'll never buy another Mackie product, but hopefully there will be enough income from new customers who don't believe the "rumors" that they'll get solidly back into the groove.

But of course I know nothing.
        --
        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Thanks Mike
          <div class="signaturecontainer">I like Z Cars<br />
          and Guitars</div>

Comment

Trouble is all this so-called inside info comes way too late. Where were these comments before?

All too easy to be an expert afterwards hey!
            https://soundcloud.com/miden-entertainment

Comment

Before what? What's your point? Before what? You wanted someone to say that Mackie was doing OK before they knew Mackie was doing OK? Or did you just buy a Behringer mixer and now you regret it because it looks like Mackie might not go under? And why did you expect there to be an "expert" here who knew about the business dealings inside Mackie? And if the CEO read this forum, you think he'd tell you (or tell you anything other than "We're doing great. Spend money with us in conficence"?
              --
              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006

Comment

Before what??? Can't you read.....if you were actually following the thread, and not just trying to pose off with so called "insider info" wink wink, you would know exactly what was happening.

And where the f#%k did you get Behringer from????

Comment

Before what??? Can't you read.....if you were actually following the thread, and not just trying to pose off with so called "insider info" wink wink, you would know exactly what was happening.

And where the f#%k did you get Behringer from????

Dude. Chill out. If anyone has insider info its Mike. But seeing how you only have a few posts to your name and dont know who he is, we forgive you. Hey Admins !!! Close this thread, please.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">I like Z Cars<br />
                  and Guitars</div>

Comment

Dude. Chill out. If anyone has insider info its Mike. But seeing how you only have a few posts to your name and dont know who he is, we forgive you. Hey Admins !!! Close this thread, please.

I am totally chilled...perhaps you should re-read his first line. Seemed awfully like a challenge/throw-down to me.

Close the thread, I don't care. I have bought my Allen and Heath now. As I said, some good advice given by folks early on helped greatly.

In any case it was more the advice that Mackie gear is not what it was and that failures have been happening. That coupled with administration rumours, well, you know.....

Comment

I am totally chilled...perhaps you should re-read his first line. Seemed awfully like a challenge/throw-down to me.

Talk about "challenge/throw-down!" Your first post here was on Jan 23. I replied two days later, and you wanted to know where the replies BEFORE were? Dood, I'm not a mind reader.

I saw your first post but I had other things to do so I didn't reply immediately. I figured that you'd get some feedback from others (which you did). I've been tending to hold back on on my "defend Mackie" posts because, since I've had a previous association with the company - though it's been nearly 10 years now - I've accused of being a shill.

I just made up the part about the Behringer. I didn't remember that you had actually bought an Allen & Heath. Without a doubt you have a fine mixer there and there's nothing to be concerned about that a Mackie might have been better. I really liked the ZED-R16 that I had in for review here, and liked it better than the Mackie 1640 that I have (but I didn't run out and buy one).

What's wrong with the mixer you bought? And if you just bought it and would have rather had a Mackie now that you "know" that they're not going to go out of business (do you ever really know?), why don't you exchange it? If you bought it only two days ago, any reasonable dealer would let you change your mind. To me, it appears (I've just re-read the thread) that you made up your mind in just a day that you didn't want a Mackie. Now you're upset at ME for telling you that your rumors were probably out of date?

I'll concede that how a company appears in Ozland is probably different than in their home country, and your distributors there may have been frustrated at not being adequately supplied with Mackie gear, passed that down the chain to dealers, and that's how you heard what you heard. So it's possible that what I told you, based on what I know, may not apply where you bought. Sorry, I can't help you with that. I don't know anything about Mackie's international operations or support.

now. As I said, some good advice given by folks early on helped greatly.

Again, I asked, what's "early on?" Your first post on this subject here was two days ago.
                      --

Comment

Mike, I could have worded it better so my apologies for that. It did SEEM a lot longer...I had two dealers hassling me asking if I had decided which way to go.

If not for reading about reliability issues on this forum, as well as possible financial problems I probably would have bought the Mackie, as it did offer a different set of tools, but the A+H is a very smooth mixer. Probably the best I have used.

Thanks for at least taking the time to make the post you did about the information from Mackie. At least if I decide to not stick with the A+H and move to Mackie, I won't feel as unsure.

Dennis

Comment

All is forgiven. To be honest, since you're outside the US, I'd go for the one that has the best service support, or buy whatever the dealer who you think will support you best is trying to sell you. Some of these things go so long without a problem that we think they'll go forever, and then one day you'll lose an output or a channel or a meter or a power supply. Poor reliability is failing in the first six months (and there have been Mackies that have done that - they're the ones you hear about on the forums). But for every one of those there's probably a few hundred that have been going for five years or more and long since paid for themselves. One one of these fails you have to think hard about whether you want to get it repaired or look for a replacement.
                          --

Comment

Cheers Mike, thanks for being understanding

Comment

Of the few people in this forum who would actually know what's going on, none of them have chimed in.... wonder what that means?

In this economy not even Mackie Knows... that's probably what it means.
                              "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
                              ~John Lennon

Comment

The reliability of the grapevine and rumor-mill on companies that may or may not be about to go under is a few steps below in truth-value than the middleschool romance drama grapevine and rumor-mill.

How could it be otherwise? If a company is on the edge of surviving/not surviving, the spread of bad news is so often the thing that tips the company over the edge. So the company is the last source to tip their hand. And the people working for such companies are also kept in the dark so they won't bail out, hoping to secure their bonuses and/or retirement before it all gets tied up in litigation and bankruptcy court. Add to this the fact that people believe what they want to believe and spread it around - the bad stuff always having the younger legs.

It would be great if we could all know which companies will remain in business to offer support for the stuff we can just barely afford to buy in the first place, but in the big bad world, no such rosy scenario is offered as an entitled benefit.

nat whilk ii

Comment

Working...
                                X